Quantcast

Which Helmet

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I'm struggling to decide which helmet to get.......all choices are Troy Lee
D2 Carbon, Air, or SE-2. There's the chance I will ride a moto a few timesthreough out the year. The problem is do I want the extra heft and less ventilation of the moto Helmet when I'm riding DH.
My current Helmet is a XL Remedy Carbon. Does anybody have a comparison to the fit of a XL D2????

Thanks

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
if possible try them on, compare the weight of your current helmet to the moto helmet. trying a helmet on before you buy is important for me, but I have a med size head, helmets are usually in stock.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
if possible try them on, compare the weight of your current helmet to the moto helmet. trying a helmet on before you buy is important for me, but I have a med size head, helmets are usually in stock.

No offence but do you realize what your asking of me????
The chance of finding a shop in Eastern Canada with all three of those helmets for me to try on is zero.
I was just in Florida for a week. The chance me finding a moto shop in central florida with Troy lee moto helmets to try on is zero............and there's a lot of moto shops in central Florida.
I hoping to find somebody on here who might have some usefull info.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I walked into a cyclegear and they had a wall of SE-2 Helmets. The air and carbon fit very similar iirc, find a friend with one you can try on. That's how I figured out what size I wear. you can also buy a pair of SE-2's in the size range you want from chainlove and send them back. Costs $20 in shipping and you figure out what size...

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
Does the D2 meet the ASTM 1952 standard???? It says on their site that it meets the ASTM (BMX DH) standard.

I'm trying to figure out what is the best/safest helmet for DH. Snell helmets are very hard, and D2's seem to crack in high speed crashes.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
ASTM 1952 is the best rating. If you are willing to spend the coin, check out POC too. I have a TLD D2. The carbon version does not meet the ASTM 1952 requirements. It even says in the manual it is not ASTM 1952 rated. I know this sounds silly, but sometimes helmets crack also because they are supposed to. If it protects your head, and has to crack in order to do so, it has done the job.

CountryBoy

Monkey
Nov 10, 2008
Reno, NV
Also look at Fox V3. I just got one because I ride moto and DH and it is the lightest moto helmet I have ever held. I have worn both the TLD Air and SE2 because my moto friends have them and they both are really comfortable and the fit is the same so just get the same size you have.

demo8razor

Monkey
Mar 31, 2008
i have a rock gardn blacklite, dot and ece but not snell

also, poly seems to absorb impacts better than kevlar or carbon according to a few tests there is a lot of debate on this website about the mx vs bike thing carbon or kevlar will delaminate and take the energy that way from an impact but poly helmets seem to absorb it an give, not just crack and delaminate

dublindh

Chimp
Jun 22, 2008
personally i ride a giro remedy but i think you should get the d2. surely the d2 has been designed to different safety standards than the se one designed for the more high speed mx impacts

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
The big thing I like about the MX helmets that they are designed to sustain sevral hits tot he same location. So you wipe out on a steep section and smoke your head off a rock, and splits your D2. But your still in the middle of a big crash. What next? Its very likely that your going to hit your head more then once in these situations.

dublindh

Chimp
Jun 22, 2008
i guess so..and a friend crackked his d2 on a rock section.. he was heartbroken..250e down the drain

zidoj

Chimp
Nov 2, 2008
Charlotte/ Myers Park
I have the giro too and I'm in the D2 composite right now. they are both smalls and the D2 fits just a little closer to my face, I like. I'm going to get the D2 phobia next.

JudgeDH

Chimp
Feb 7, 2008
I have both a Remedy and a TLD SE-2 on XL. Being moto, the SE-2 fits tighter on the cheeks.

jsk14

Chimp
Jan 13, 2009
GVRD
If you really want TLD go for the carbon, the weight saving is significant, i could never get used to moto helmet. Try to find older version to save money.

I also bought THE helmet from jensonusa last fall. It fits similar to D2, but it has a wider side section which is really nice. paint chips easier on the THE than the D2 though. Also D2 carbon is significantly lighter feeling, and fits more tighty(in a nice way). Having said that THE is much cheaper, and i really love it.