Quantcast

Which Iriver ?

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Hi all,

after following your precious advice i am after a flash based mp3 player instead of hdd/microdrive solution.

I noticed that iriver seems like the best company around for these kind of things.

Now my questions is

Iriver IFP795 512mb for 155GBP
Iriver IFP799 1GB for 199GBP

1GBP=1.7usd

So basically is it worth it to pay 45GBP more in order to get the 1GB version? I ll be using it for walking (1hr perday), cycling (road training), and train/plane trips, 6 times per year (the trips).

Yours Yannis.

Help me fast on this as in a few hours i ll mail order either one.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
since when did the iPod mini become flash-based? :D

is the iRiver expandable? ie, can you buy a larger memory card for 512MB? 512 should be able to get about 100 songs on it, which is a decent amount of play time. if you can pop larger cards in the 512 model, that's the route i would go.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i'm assuming he wants flash for shock resistance. i think that's silly -- all of the hard drive players cache what they're playing. they are not reading off the hdd constantly...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
narlus said:
would you ride w/ yr iPod? i wouldn't take that risk on a $300 toy, personally.
i would ride with it. haven't done so, but i have run with it, dropped it numerous times while hustilng to class, etc. and it's still going strong 31 months after i bought it.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Hi guys,

I guess i will write-off iriver out of the picture.

I have just discovered that they cannot operate like a mass storage media drive for pics/pdfs etc... unless you change the firmware to a new alpha version which is still experimental... so it sounds dodgy to me.

So whats the catch with microdrives etc? Do you really need more than 512mb or 256mb ?

I can get a good price on those muvo2 from creative with 1.5 or 4gb microdrives.

The other option is to get a muvo TX 512mb which is flash based so no moving parts....

several monkies advised me against hdd based models, i wonder whats the case with microdrive models....