Quantcast

Which is better....Z1, Firefly, or Flick?

TCoop924

Monkey
Jul 29, 2002
WA
Hey...so, I'm looking for some input and feedback on these three forks....specifically the 2003 Marzocchi Z1 FR, 2003 Manitou Firefly, and 2004 Manitou Flick. Oh yeah, all will be 20mm.

I'm ~165#, will be mostly trail riding w/ stunts, nothing huge (less than 5-6' to flat at most), and may do the occasional DH. I'm not the smoothest rider, but I'm looking for a fork that pedals really well, but is still plush and I'm really looking at those models and years in particular.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You should do a search.. These particular forks have been compared over and over and over again..

TCoop924

Monkey
Jul 29, 2002
WA
What about their comparitive damping systems....the Z1 has got the open bath HSCV, the flick has TPC, and the firefly has TPC+....anyone have reviews on the difference in quality of ride on these. In particular, comparing the TPC to the HSCV as well as comparing the two TPC systems to each other?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by TCoop924
What about their comparitive damping systems....the Z1 has got the open bath HSCV, the flick has TPC, and the firefly has TPC+....anyone have reviews on the difference in quality of ride on these. In particular, comparing the TPC to the HSCV as well as comparing the two TPC systems to each other?
Both good systems, both good forks. Slight advantages here and there. Long term durability (like in 2-3 year durability) with the sherman is more of an unknown. Hopefully the semi-bath erases one of the primary disadvantages with manitous-the wearing of bushings. Personally, it'll probably be a cold day in hell before I bolt a 5.7lb 5" fork to my bike, which is the Z1FR weight. With the Manitou Sherman Firefly 20mm being 5.4lbs, the Flick is obviously going to be a little more as well. I might put on a 5.4lb 6" travel fork like the Z150SL, but it's a lot of weight for the both of them, and they are both pretty solid forks, solid damping systems, etc....

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Originally posted by Jm_
Both good systems, both good forks. Slight advantages here and there. Long term durability (like in 2-3 year durability) with the sherman is more of an unknown. Hopefully the semi-bath erases one of the primary disadvantages with manitous-the wearing of bushings. Personally, it'll probably be a cold day in hell before I bolt a 5.7lb 5" fork to my bike, which is the Z1FR weight. With the Manitou Sherman Firefly 20mm being 5.4lbs, the Flick is obviously going to be a little more as well. I might put on a 5.4lb 6" travel fork like the Z150SL, but it's a lot of weight for the both of them, and they are both pretty solid forks, solid damping systems, etc....
Hey Jm, Have you ridden a Z1 Sl? If so, what were your impressions of it? That thing is like 4.5 pounds and it would be as stiff as a Z1 coil.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by Jeremy R
Hey Jm, Have you ridden a Z1 Sl? If so, what were your impressions of it? That thing is like 4.5 pounds and it would be as stiff as a Z1 coil.
yeah I have. It was pretty good. I think the talas gets the nod from me for "best air shock", the Z1SL was pretty good though. Enough that if it came in a 20mm, I'd probably have it, then again if fox forks came in 20mm I'd have that. I liked it, but keep in mind it has ECC5, which means only 5 rebound positions; locked out, damn near locked out, mid range, light, and real light for real fast downhill. They are also pretty finnicky about the air-pressure settings for best performance.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by TCoop924
According to manitou's website and jensonusa.com...they both have the flick as having the standard tpc dampening.
They're wrong. The Flick has TPC+, always has.

TCoop924

Monkey
Jul 29, 2002
WA
Ok, so I've done a ton of searching and still can't get my question answered to completion....so, let me further it....is there a big difference between Manitou's TPC and TPC+? Say, along the lines of the difference between Marzocchi's SSCV and HSCV (where the SSCV spikes under quick repeated hits, or big hits due to oil volume flow restrictions).

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
you are referring to marzocchis SSV or SSVF in contrast to their HSCV.

There is a bigger difference between those two and the HSCV than there is between TPC and TPC+.

That said, pretty much every TPC fork that I've tried felt "dead", while the TPC+ stuff felt very active. IMO TPC+ is worth it, just like buying HSCV is worth it over SSV or SSVF, but regular TPC should still be better than the SSV or SSVF stuff. TPC doesn't feel like it's trying to break your wrists off like SSV or SSVF does.

TCoop924

Monkey
Jul 29, 2002
WA
Originally posted by Jm_
you are referring to marzocchis SSV or SSVF in contrast to their HSCV.

There is a bigger difference between those two and the HSCV than there is between TPC and TPC+.

That said, pretty much every TPC fork that I've tried felt "dead", while the TPC+ stuff felt very active. IMO TPC+ is worth it, just like buying HSCV is worth it over SSV or SSVF, but regular TPC should still be better than the SSV or SSVF stuff. TPC doesn't feel like it's trying to break your wrists off like SSV or SSVF does.
Thanks!!