Votes: 149 20.1%
  • They all bite!

Votes: 169 22.8%

• Total voters

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I'v only purchased a half dozen mtn bike magazines over the years - no issue ever made me want to read another one. I bought them when I was out of town and needed something other than TV in the hotel room. :monkey:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i stopped reading all but dirt rag a few years back (say, about 6 years now) since they all seemed like glorified product announcements with very little substance on top of the lavish praise of everything new.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
I voted Bike, but purely for the photos. I'll still read Dirt Rag once in awhile, but bike mags are only really good for long airline flights.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
bike.

pics are great, everyone agrees.

the writers are usually top-notch too. ferrentino is excellent, but i miss rob story and steve casimiro.

jhusktrials

Monkey
Dec 29, 2001
Denver
MBA has quite a bit of reading in it. Granted it is primarily biased bs that angers me more than anything but when I am bored it is something to do. Like the days I recently spent in the hospital.
Also has anyone else noticed that MBA uses way too many old school pics? They must have more new pics available, why do they use such old ones?

dirt rag has kickass articles

dirt uk has in depth race news and a rad format

i also just picked up the latest issue of flow...........

it s about time a U.S. mag makes a freeride, dh, dirt jump, jib, urban spacific rag

it just goes to show the progression of mtb

..........sorry im just ranting, but the 3 mags rule..... take your pick

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Originally posted by sirknight6
Hustler.:D

...Penthouse hitting rock drops and doing stair gaps desnudo in a "freeride, dh, dirt jump, jib, urban spacific rag"?

I get too damned many subscriptions anyways. My New Year's Resolution is to consolidate and streamline operation, just like in business. Instead of having several different magazines encompassing my interests, I really just need a single thorough one to clutter up the bathroom each month. Do you think the models could transport their bikes to the trail in hot, new vehicles with killer stereos and have a beer/wine and cigar review after every ride?:D

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Anyone seen the latest issue of Mountain Bike? Its a freeride mag all of a sudden. Just a few months ago it was the corporate lifestyle magazine with the Playboy bunnies and now its the grass roots freeride mag. And since they are forcing it on all the Bicycling subscribers (road bikers for the most part), subscribers of both magazines must wonder what the hell is going on.

And Rodale almost bought Bike. Ack!

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
There are plenty of reasons to hate Rodale which I won't go into here...

they've been trying to screw over my buds at BFR-it forever...

jhusktrials

Monkey
Dec 29, 2001
Denver
Originally posted by holelotanutin

it s about time a U.S. mag makes a freeride, dh, dirt jump, jib, urban spacific rag
So is there a US mag that covers all of this? Or are you saying that there should be?

There definitely should be. 180 is a very good mag but lacks the funding to make it a great mag. Since they are against selling mags in places other than bike shops is really holding them back. Simply because the more issues you sell of a mag the more high priced ads in the mag, and the more bike companies that offer their products to be tested. Ads are good, not when they overpower the mag, but the right balance can be good.

Jhusk

huckleberry

Chimp
Jan 24, 2003
F-ing FLOW is the thing almost worth the $5 they charge for mags i'm gonna start my own and give it away and it will probably be 10x better than the rest of them peaceout

huckleberry

Chimp
Jan 24, 2003
ya know...i wouldn't mind seeing some hot chicks in mountain bike mag. they should have half and half. swimsuits and freeriding. that sucka would sell like hot cakes...i'm gonna patent that one peaceout

SwisSlesS

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Home of the Massholes
Mountain Bike Action is definitely my favorite. I work in a bike shop, and a lot of my information comes from reading reviews and tests in biking magazines. And I've found that Mountain Bike Action has the most reviews and tests of any magazine I've read.

ghettorigged

lawn dart extraordinare
Apr 8, 2002
Killadelphia
Originally posted by spincrazy
I voted Bike, but purely for the photos. I'll still read Dirt Rag once in awhile, but bike mags are only really good for long airline flights.
...and dropping your kids at the pool. ;) :D

ghettorigged

lawn dart extraordinare
Apr 8, 2002
Killadelphia
I think what truly sucks about MB now is that if you bought a subscription last year and you still have some issues left you will now get Bicycling along with the MB.
WAIT...
that's not a good thing because you are actually getting MB with Bicycling. MB will no longer be available on the newsstands.

To make it sting a little more, you get 12 issues of Bicycling but only 8 of MB.

YAK!!

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Originally posted by ghettorigged
I think what truly sucks about MB now is that if you bought a subscription last year and you still have some issues left you will now get Bicycling along with the MB.
WAIT...
that's not a good thing because you are actually getting MB with Bicycling. MB will no longer be available on the newsstands.

To make it sting a little more, you get 12 issues of Bicycling but only 8 of MB.

YAK!!
Uh, that sounded like math or something :think: