Quantcast

Which parks are worth the drive?

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
Assuming one has a weekend to do some DH this summer, which parks are worth it to drive to? I'm sure Snowshoe must be but which others? I'm of course new'ish here but didn't get to do any DH last season.

Places I'm thinking of are:
Snowshoe, Wintergreen, Diablo, Plattekill... others?

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
I think wisp is only open for that one race but i donno. I went to snowshoe last year for the first time at a park and it was like a dream came true plus more it was AWSOME. But i havnt been to anyother parks to compare.

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
wannabeabonedoc said:
I've never been, but I heard wisp is cool.
Eh, Wisp is pretty weak, the mountain is barely 600 ft of vertical, and the lift is extremely slow.

If you're gonna ride anywhere, go Snowshoe or Diablo.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
yeah, snowshoe rocks my world. there are no easy trails though. i took a noob friend out there last summer having never been myself. we asked where the beginner **** was at the shop. . . the guy just laughed and rented him a suit of armor.

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
diablo is also definitely worth the drive. and the fact that the lift will be running during the week ... +10 diablo!

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
Snowshoe was my first ski resort experience last year and it's definitely worth the 4.5 hours from northern virginia. Good stuff.

Diablo looks quite good and I've heard good things about Plattekil and Whiteface up in Lake Placid are supposed to be worth it. I don't know where I heard about Whiteface though, so it could be an unreliable source...plus it's a bit of a trek to get up there.

Bearmntpicnic

Monkey
Oct 23, 2005
charlottesville
skatetokil said:
yeah, snowshoe rocks my world. there are no easy trails though. i took a noob friend out there last summer having never been myself. we asked where the beginner **** was at the shop. . . the guy just laughed and rented him a suit of armor.
there is some easy stuff there on the dh side I mean I hit everything my first time there and it was my first dh experiance and it was Gnar Gnar tits to the max rad shazzzalishous

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
AV said:
diablo gets my :thumb: :thumb:

fast lift and good use of the mountain with lots of variety for riding preferences (stunts, rocky gnarl, and jumps). diablo also drains very well. i'm looking forward to a season full of trips to diablo and snowshoe both about 4-4.5 hours from DC depending on how fast and when you drive.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
metalMTB said:
I'd have to say so far Diablo is the closest to the Whistler experience as far as the feel and variety of the trail offerings. Now that they will be operating 7 days a week during the peak of the season this will probably be more true this season. If/when they built up more of a village at Mountain Creek it would be a pretty good approximation to the grand-daddy of all mountain bike parks...

I think the riding at Snowshoe is of equal caliber as Diablo but just with a different vibe.