Quantcast

Which Profiles should I get for a 26er SS

martin

Chimp
Mar 22, 2010
southern cali
What's up everyone,

So I'm giving in to buying new Profile cranks, since I couldn't find any decent used ones out there with a 6 inch spindle.

I got just one question:

Do I need to cautious of any type of Profiles that would cause me to run into technical issues/problems with installation on a 26 dj bike?

I have a BlkMrkt Riot and a Quamen Emo (the bike its going on), they're both Euro BB and require the 6 inch spindle (I believe).

The Profiles I'm looking at getting are the BMX 3pc. Crankset.

http://profileracing.com/profileracing/estore/product.php?productId=1&categoryId=1

I appreciate any input.
m.

Last edited:

nyhc00

Monkey
Jul 19, 2010
CT
Well first question is how tall are you? I'm 5'9" and run 175mm on my bmx, but ran 160mm when I had a downhill bike. If you can find good used crank arms, finding a cheap 48 splined spindle shouldn't be a problem. Plenty of companies make spindles to be compatible with Profile.

martin

Chimp
Mar 22, 2010
southern cali
Well first question is how tall are you? I'm 5'9" and run 175mm on my bmx, but ran 160mm when I had a downhill bike. If you can find good used crank arms, finding a cheap 48 splined spindle shouldn't be a problem. Plenty of companies make spindles to be compatible with Profile.
Thanks for your reply.

Yeah, I'm 5'10ish and I'm modeling after my Riot (which has 170mm). The BB on the Quamen is about a 1/4" lower, but it should be good. My Transition Double has 170's also.

I was trying about getting them separately but its been a pain and I'm not saving much, and I also heard rumors about slight variations in splines and spindle diameters. If I get a set, I'm not going to run into any of that.

thanks again,
m.

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
what do you weigh, how hard do you ride, what cranks have you broken before, etc? hard to go wrong with profile originals 170 or 175. i ran the same set of originals for many years until they cracked at the bb spline weld area(160lb, park/dirt/street on a 20"). i dunno much about the race version and how they hold up to things like flat landings, bike throws etc.

Last edited:

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Standard race crank has always done me well. If I was going to buy new I might go for the splined chainwheel and arms with no bolt hole. Or maybe skip it and do a set of saints.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Took me months to find a good used 6 inch spindle. Works fine with my cheap and cheerful FSA Nasty Boy cranks. Better than the original spindle actually.

martin

Chimp
Mar 22, 2010
southern cali
what do you weigh, how hard do you ride, what cranks have you broken before, etc? hard to go wrong with profile originals 170 or 175. i ran the same set of originals for many years until they cracked at the bb spline weld area(160lb, park/dirt/street on a 20"). i dunno much about the race version and how they hold up to things like flat landings, bike throws etc.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. My concern was with fitting and installation and whatever else that I may not beware of. I never bought and installed 3pc cranks before.

I'm not worried about how they hold up. I'm light, don't ride that hard and never broken or bent cranks.

Thanks for the feedback. I was curious about which particular type to get also. I was wondering about the Race versions. I figure the bmx versions should be the safest route. But a bit more costly...

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
If you go with a Ti spindle, get the one from Profile. I tried an FSA and another cheapy one and they did not line up at all to Profile's spline. Not sure why, but they just don't work at all.

As far as crank lengths,I ran 175mm on my Mob. Just space it out correctly and you are good to go.

martin

Chimp
Mar 22, 2010
southern cali
Took me months to find a good used 6 inch spindle. Works fine with my cheap and cheerful FSA Nasty Boy cranks. Better than the original spindle actually.
Yeah, I've been in limbo long enough.

What a pain to have a bike fully built bike besides the freakin cranks. All I can do is sit on the bike and imagine how it could be, but even then I fall short when my foot goes to search for the pedal.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
If you go with a Ti spindle, get the one from Profile. I tried an FSA and another cheapy one and they did not line up at all to Profile's spline. Not sure why, but they just don't work at all.
profile manufactures their spindles with more precision and higher tolerances, aka they aren't as sloppy as other brands. This is also why people using splined chainwheels from tree and profile run into problems with installation and removal sometimes on other branded spindles.

martin

Chimp
Mar 22, 2010
southern cali

As far as crank lengths,I ran 175mm on my Mob. Just space it out correctly and you are good to go.
Thanks, that is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. I read around that things don't always match exactly, even if described and 19mm spline or whatever (because so'n so company's 19mm is actually 19.2mm). Which is why I may just go for the set at once.

I would hate to buy just the cranks, then a BB that isn't quite there or whatever.

Thanks again.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
As I was saying above, my FSA cranks fit better on the profile spindle than the included spindle. The fit was a little loose on the stocker, a little tight (IE perfect) on the profile.

martin

Chimp
Mar 22, 2010
southern cali
profile manufactures their spindles with more precision and higher tolerances, aka they aren't as sloppy as other brands. This is also why people using splined chainwheels from tree and profile run into problems with installation and removal sometimes on other branded spindles.
Yup, that's the kind of blurbs I've seen around. People running into technical difficulties with installation and fitting.

On this note, would you stick with a a Profile BB also? Or is there a brand that is known to work with Profiles well?

martin

Chimp
Mar 22, 2010
southern cali
Standard race crank has always done me well. If I was going to buy new I might go for the splined chainwheel and arms with no bolt hole. Or maybe skip it and do a set of saints.
Cool, so no SS Profile (which seem like they're going to be discontinued). I'm a little thrown-off by those. Are they meant for fixies? I know many heads refer to fixie type bikes as SS also.

nyhc00

Monkey
Jul 19, 2010
CT
Cool, so no SS Profile (which seem like they're going to be discontinued). I'm a little thrown-off by those. Are they meant for fixies? I know many heads refer to fixie type bikes as SS also.
Profile SS cranks came out awhile back as an alternative to the race cranks for riders that beat the crap out of their bikes. Basically heavy duty crank arms, but pretty irrelevant for modern times , unless you're pretty heavy.
SS also can refer to Single Speed fyi

martin

Chimp
Mar 22, 2010
southern cali
Profile SS cranks came out awhile back as an alternative to the race cranks for riders that beat the crap out of their bikes. Basically heavy duty crank arms, but pretty irrelevant for modern times , unless you're pretty heavy.
SS also can refer to Single Speed fyi
For sure, SS is what I plan to run. I just thought the SS cranks where Single Speed specific or something. But I guess you say they are the heavy duty ones (which makes sense because the spindle on those are a bit thicker I think).