Quantcast

which race bike thread demo 8 or glory

dirt-dart

Monkey
Feb 26, 2006
mccall ID/eagle river AK
I want to sell my sx trail when the snow flies so i can buy a giant glory dh. I can get it for less than half price, so its obvious that its a hard opportunity to pass up. i will either keep the giant frame, or buy a new demo 8 frame but the main reason i am doing this is just to get the parts and then trade the frame for any that i chose. not a bad idea right??

i would look this up and search threads but i have so much work and home work that i would really appreciate your guy's opinions! and since i haven't really ridden either.

so here it goes, how do they compare in weight, and the differences in the suspension?(i have heard good things of both) and to the people that have experienced one or both: what are your basic opinions on the differences between the two? pros and cons?

i do a good bit or free riding as well, so i will probably put a solo air totem up front, would there be any cons to doing that? (god i love the dampening in that fork.)

thanks alot guys!

RaID

Turbo Monkey
what sort of rider are you?

Mr Plow - Glory
More finesse - Demo 8

Both great rides, the glory stick more to the ground IMO, although the Demo has a certain technique you gotta develop to get it off the ground. I think either way you cant really go wrong.

Try to get a ride on both if possible

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
what sort of rider are you?

Mr Plow - Glory
More finesse - Demo 8

Both great rides, the glory stick more to the ground IMO, although the Demo has a certain technique you gotta develop to get it off the ground. I think either way you cant really go wrong.

Try to get a ride on both if possible
The Glory is both a Semi Plow and Finesse bike. Its not a streight on Plow bike. Its all in the rider too.... I am a finesse rider and I loved my Glory. Everyone of my friends with Demo's lover thiers too. It would be a very hard choice to pick between the two unless you are getting a super good deal on ether or..

Good luck!!!!

Frorider1

Monkey
Apr 28, 2006
I just got a new glory, sure it can plow, but its also very nimble, you can weave and hop on it. Get one man.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
I've seen how glory rides and it's to much of a tank. Take the demo
Tank???? Nah.... Only it you leave the stock build like it is. I got mine down to 41lbs from the 46lbs stock by replacing parts for lighter and better parts. I could have hit under 40lbs if I had replaced a few other parts. The Glory feels like a super light bike when your on it too. It is very nimble.... Its just how well the glory rides. But still both bikes are bad A$$!!!!

dirt-dart

Monkey
Feb 26, 2006
mccall ID/eagle river AK
I hope you're not abusing an employee purchase...cuz that would suck.
nah, i'm not an employee, just good friends and sponsored with a shop, but there arent any more races untill next summer for me so i hope my buddy wouldnt be mad if i swapped out the frames, because hes a giant dealer but he knows i love specialized.

thanks for all your imput! it is going to be hard because it sure sounds like i would like the giant if i built it rather than sell the frame imidiatly!
but yea, i like to be more flowy and light on my feet.. or wheels. and i like manuling through stuff u know.. are the frames alone much diffrent weighht wise?

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
nah, i'm not an employee, just good friends and sponsored with a shop, but there arent any more races untill next summer for me so i hope my buddy wouldnt be mad if i swapped out the frames, because hes a giant dealer but he knows i love specialized.

thanks for all your imput! it is going to be hard because it sure sounds like i would like the giant if i built it rather than sell the frame imidiatly!
but yea, i like to be more flowy and light on my feet.. or wheels. and i like manuling through stuff u know.. are the frames alone much diffrent weighht wise?
The Glory is about 1Lb more.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
The BB is very low on the Sunday, perhaps prohibitively low. I love my Demo 8 for what it's worth, I haven't ridden many (if any) bikes as nice and neutral.

X777

Chimp
Aug 17, 2007
bicyclist
everyone I know, is complaining about demo 8 wheel base... and with new design they are even longer.... so many people are buyn demo7 due shorter WB rather than Demo8... (DH racers) what do you think about it???

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The BB is very low on the Sunday, perhaps prohibitively low. I love my Demo 8 for what it's worth, I haven't ridden many (if any) bikes as nice and neutral.
Just letting you know.......the irony of that post next to your signature isn't lost on me:D

The bb on my demo is 13.9.....it rules.

Just keep the glory. It's a good bike. I doubt you'd pine for a demo riding the giant.

[Tha]Shovla

Monkey
Aug 28, 2007
Somewhere over the rainbow
I ride an 06 demo 8. its still stock. a little heavy but a good set up. I have ridden the Glory on an all day ride. My buddy and i switched rides because we were curious how the other bike performed.

The Glory will pedal better over flat and shallow incline ground. I dont think the Glory has a 2 position shock mount like the Demo does. I ride my demo in the higher shock mount because it gives me a less slack head tube angle and raises the bottom bracket (more freeride friendly i think) i think the Demo rides a lot better in the higher shock position.

The demo is a bit long, it does not do so well in really tight single track we have over here on the east coast.

All im going to say about the demo is that it has a personality of its own. i dont think its like any other bike out there. its a good all around bike certainly BUT ... i have ridden many other Downhill bikes that are just plain easy to ride. I felt the demo took a bit of a learning process to get the suspension and the feel of the bike down. but once you do find the sweet spot she rides really well as an all around ride.

If you put a totem on it let us know how you like it with the singe crown. it would prolly make the bike far more manuverable.