Which shock?

Which shock should I get?

• Total voters

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
My 5th element on my bullit is blown. :rant:

Should I get a Romic or a DHX5 (more money) ?
I found a good deal on a Romic and I'm really thinking about getting it.

hungryleprican

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
ndub
I have a fifth on my sunday.... im thinking of replacing it before next season... any ideas?

(i dont mean to try and take over this post.. i just need advice)

i would go for the dhx. i had one on my last bike, its amazing how much difference it makes

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Triple :banghead:

Roco or Avy. The new Avy Montie is the same price as the DHX and weighs only a little more. Do a little reasearch about the Avy before putting it off.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
He didn't ask about an avy, he has 3 options he is interested in. He has already stated he doesn't want one. There is a reason people bag on the product cheerleaders.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I tried a DHX for a bit. I liked it ok. I think Fox are a good deal more stable than 5ths for sure. I know lots of folks that like Romics though.

I know you didn't say Double Barrel, but they are sexy.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I have had 2 Romics...non of them held up for more than a month and the SC was terrible...cant recommend
I had the same experience with 1 actual romic and 5 RCRs (before the name change). The 1 romic i had to try leaked out of all of the knobs and it seemed like the damping woudl eb fine one hit, and non-existant the next?

The rcrs were just complete garbage that had no working adjustments and blew up literally, at least once a race.

Slacker

Monkey
Jul 24, 2002
Los Angeles
And you asked about a Romic:huh:

I have heard rumors of Romic going away.

If true, they really dug their own grave with the massive & multiple failures, even after warranty repairs. That's one company I'll never-ever do business with again. Do any frame mfg'ers even use them anymore :clue:

It is a shame because they had some great potential. Many of us really liked the feel of the shock... when it worked. I'm still using one on my XC bike that has been bomb proof.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Triple :banghead:

Roco or Avy. The new Avy Montie is the same price as the DHX and weighs only a little more. Do a little reasearch about the Avy before putting it off.
Fine then. I voted for the DHX. I think the Avy, besides the fact that he didn't mention it, is more expensive, overdamped and overhyped. And I've owned an Avy mounted on a Bullit.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
A Avy Montie is $399.
A DHX is $399.

Last I checked 399=399.

Mine was "overdamped" too when I first got it. I had to have it revalved once. Then it felt perfect. The shock must be valved correctly to your style and bike that you are riding. Did you ever send your Avy back to Craig and have it revalved? If not then you are complaining about a untuned shock. Craig will usually do one free revalving. The two Avys Ive had needed to be revalved but Craig got them spot on the second time. Yes, it takes a little time. You can buy another shock that has a generic tune and you can tune it youself. That is the bonus of other shocks. Ill still run an Avy.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
The Avy Montie sounds pretty good, but I really like the ProPedal feature on the dhx.

Good idea on finding an OEM one bicyclist. I would get a 4 (is bottom out resistance that important?).

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Honestly I don't think so. I run a 4 on my Demo and the reality is I don't think I'd use the bottom out if I had it (I don't on my Enduro, which has a 5 air).

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Thanks for all the help everyone. The dhx5 would be really nice, especially pro-pedal, but $400 is just too much. Despite the poll :D, I got a Romic from Sanjay ($125 is way cheaper than $400). I put it on the other day, and it's such and improvement. Plush while progressive, or maybe it feels progressive to me because my 5th was so messed up.

The romic weighs noticably less. Maybe 40% lighter. This thing would be so light with a Ti spring. The body weighs way less than the stock spring.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Romics are not bad, when they work. Keep your eye out for leaks and listen for weird sounds. I loved my Romic, when it worked. It felt pretty close to an Avy, when it wasnt leaking. It pedaled as well as a PUSHED Fox, when it wasnt at Romic. You get the idea. ;) Its a great shock... most of the time.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
I would have gotten another 5th for that bike from SC for $99. The 5th always felt great on mine. I have a DHX5 Air now, and I like it too though. But $100 vs. $400? I'll take $100, please.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I never really liked the way my 5th felt (even when it worked). It didn't feel active at all.

I love my Romic. It's so plush, but still stiff at the end. The adjustments are so nice (rebound and compression). Maybe a few clicks is normal for a shock, but on my Rockshox Judy xl fork and super deluxe shock I had on my level betty, the adjustment knobs did nothing, but spin forever (yes, they were a POS's). My jr.T's rebound adjusters spin for a long time, before I notice a difference.

With the romic, it's probably like 12 clicks total on each. It's so nice to be able to twist it a few times and completely change the movement of it.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
I never understood this dead/active lingo. I like a shock to feel dead, well, dead, as I understand it. Active to me means springy and prone to excessive movement. Dead means that it moves just enough for the terrain, with no excessive movement, and simply soaks up the bumbs well with no springing. Dead seems ideal, active is how I would describe my old Vanilla R.
Granted, I never did try anything else on that bike, but I did like the way it felt. The VP-Free was better, but most of that can be attributed to the Roco, which made small bump compliance and big hits better. The VPP made pedaling better, but that's OT.
My new DHX Air also feels dead, and I like it. It sucks up just enough of the bumps, but doesn't move excessively. It always makes it back to center travel, but doesn't pogo or bob or otherwise move in excess. I say dead is good!