Quantcast

Which spring is stiffer 350 x 2.8 or 350 x 3.25?

fullmoto

Chimp
Apr 30, 2010
I just switched bikes from an 08 glory to a 2010 glory. The new shock stroke is different so im wondering which springrate is stiffer 350x2.8 or 350x3.25 ?

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan

To attempt to clarify what others have already pointed out... Both of the springs you have should be the same "stiffness" as the spring rate is the same on both ie 350lb, this means that it takes 350lbs to compress the spring one inch, the second number is the stroke of the actual shock.

Due to the design of the suspension one may feel stiffer than the other but that's a whole other can of worms.

Last edited:

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
350 x 3.25 = 1137.5lbs

350 x 2.8 = 980lbs

Therefore the longer spring is stiffer.

hahaha

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
350 x 3.25 = 1137.5lbs

350 x 2.8 = 980lbs

Therefore the longer spring is stiffer.

hahaha
yea but:

350 / 3.25 = 107.69230769230769230769230769231

350 / 2.8 = 125

i think division is more applicable here because these are compression shocks, not pull shocks like the old RS Super Dee Lux (shorter = division, longer = multiplication), so the shorter one is stiffer

Dox

Monkey
Aug 26, 2009
Montreal, QC, Canada
This thread is full of fail. Each spring will take 350 lbs to compress 1". So, both spring will require the same effort to compress them the same amount. The only thing is that the shorter spring will bottom on itself sooner so it cant absorb more load.

No spring is stiffer.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
This thread is full of fail. Each spring will take 350 lbs to compress 1". So, both spring will require the same effort to compress them the same amount. The only thing is that the shorter spring will bottom on itself sooner so it cant absorb more load.

No spring is stiffer.
which is heavier: 1 pound of bricks or 1 lb of feathers?

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
Hey, did you guys know 1 pound of rocks doesn't actually weigh one pound on the space station? But 1 kg of rocks is still 1 kg! Science is fun!

Yeah, its units, I get it.;)

Juddos

Chimp
Feb 13, 2010
which is heavier: 1 pound of bricks or 1 lb of feathers?
Depends.

Are they feathers from a small bird or a large one?

I always used to answer, how long is a piece of string, until I was put in my place with the answer:

Twice the length from the middle to one end!

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW

I think the kid is asking about which one will result in more sag for the same weight rider.

If that's the case, for a bike with the same amount of wheel-travel, and a rider of the same weight, the 350# x 2.8 will result in a softer ride with its accompanying 2.75" stroke shock and higher leverage ratio.

The required spring rate will vary for the same sag percentage and rider weight as the leverage ratio changes. I'm not sure what the travel is on either Glory, but if the new one is the same as the old bike, you'll probably want to increase the spring rate. That said, different shocks can have different effects on spring rate, and if you were running a DHX 3/4/5 before and are on a DHX RC4 now, you'll probably use the same spring rate as the DHX RC4 requires a lower spring rate, all things considered, than the DHX 3/4/5 did.

Make sense?

There's spring rate calculators online that will help you with your spring rate selection. I like the one on TF Tuned's site. It won't be perfect, but it's a good starting point.

**Also, not saying you are, but make sure you're using the right length spring for the shock. Don't mix different stroke shocks with different length springs**

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
the longer spring will make your bike heavier than needed if you have a 2.75 stroke shock. other wise they should feel the same. the longer spring will have extra coils that just add fat to your bike, the opposite of going to a ti spring, again, if you are going to the 2.75in stroke shock.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
here an observation which might not be true. Doesn't the spring (when compressed) have a certain progressiveness inheritated to the material properties? Cause, if you compress a shock, the spring will only compress so far... but how, if Im constantly applying the same force? why does it not compress all the way as you have stated? So, if you have a longer strock spring, versus a shorter strock spring with the same lbs/inch stiffness, in matters of distance, you would bottom out the shorter one first, making the feel a bit more progresive since the longer one still has "available" travel, thus resulting in the shorter strock feeling "stiffer" or more progressive.... bare with me, does this make any sense?
So, by the previous logic, the shorter one would feel stiffer, and the longer one more linear.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
i will bite (avoiding staining the stairs at the moment...):

you had a 350 on a 9" travel, 3 in stroke bike (ie 3:1 ratio), that is 116.7 pounds per 1 inch of wheel travel (350 pound per inch of shock movement)

now have a 350 on a 8" travel, 2.75 inch stroke (ie. 2.9:1 ratio) which equals 120.7 pounds per 1 inch of wheel travel.

so the 350x2.8 will *feel* slightly stiffer... which you need since its a shorter travel bike.... and therefore, they will ride very similarly.

the above is an approx, since the shock curve changes through the travel, and its nearly imposible to forecast exactly what your sags will be, but the curves between an 08 and 10 glory should be fairly similar, so the result should be about the same.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
here an observation which might not be true. Doesn't the spring (when compressed) have a certain progressiveness inheritated to the material properties?
-kx ... where K is the spring rate and x is the material constant (i think, been a while since high school physics). so if its steel, its the same the spring constant is the same, if its ti, the spring constant is slightly different, since its a different metal (and why people fee ti rides a little nicer).

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
i will bite (avoiding staining the stairs at the moment...):

you had a 350 on a 9" travel, 3 in stroke bike (ie 3:1 ratio), that is 116.7 pounds per 1 inch of wheel travel (350 pound per inch of shock movement)

now have a 350 on a 8" travel, 2.75 inch stroke (ie. 2.9:1 ratio) which equals 120.7 pounds per 1 inch of wheel travel.

so the 350x2.8 will *feel* slightly stiffer... which you need since its a shorter travel bike.... and therefore, they will ride very similarly.

the above is an approx, since the shock curve changes through the travel, and its nearly imposible to forecast exactly what your sags will be, but the curves between an 08 and 10 glory should be fairly similar, so the result should be about the same.

First part.... perfect sence

second part,..... not so much...
350lbs of force per inch, at full bottom out both springs on the same shock will take the same force exerted on them at that point. IE they would at 2.75 inches of stroke<the most the shock will allow> both have 962.5 pounds of force on them<at the shock>

Honus

Monkey
Jun 6, 2006
Boulder, CO
First part.... perfect sence

second part,..... not so much...
350lbs of force per inch, at full bottom out both springs on the same shock will take the same force exerted on them at that point. IE they would at 2.75 inches of stroke<the most the shock will allow> both have 962.5 pounds of force on them<at the shock>
Even though they are identical spring rates the 350/2.8 on an 8" travel bike would feel ever so slightly stiffer than a 350/3.25 on a 9" travel bike due to the difference in leverage ratio (assuming identical leverage curves.)

What you need to do is calculate the wheel rate:

Wheel rate = (ratio)squared x spring rate

1/3 squared x 350 = 38.88 lb/in
1/2.9 squared x 350 = 41.61 lb/in

But yes- on the same model year bike with the same leverage curve they will feel the same for a given amount of travel. Changing the length of the spring will not change the wheel rate.

Last edited:

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
Jesus H f&*ng christ, what the hell kind of nutmeg are you drongo's smoking?

A coil spring operates solely in the hookean region of steal, ie, the thing is as linear as it gets, discounting the change in drag from spring rotation on a longer spring (the thing those obtainium needle bearing kits try to eliminate)

In other words, if the a 350x3" spring is the same stiffness as a 350x2.5" spring, they both take 350lb to compress the spring 1". It doesn't change right to the very end. The end.

I know some of you were being sarcastic, but Jesus some of you are serious as cancer.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Jesus H f&*ng christ, what the hell kind of nutmeg are you drongo's smoking?

A coil spring operates solely in the hookean region of steal, ie, the thing is as linear as it gets, discounting the change in drag from spring rotation on a longer spring (the thing those obtainium needle bearing kits try to eliminate)

In other words, if the a 350x3" spring is the same stiffness as a 350x2.5" spring, they both take 350lb to compress the spring 1". It doesn't change right to the very end. The end.

I know some of you were being sarcastic, but Jesus some of you are serious as cancer.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
I had some delicious rhubarb pie last night but when I tried to use it for stiffness calculations it just made a mess. :(
Mmmmmm. Have you every tried rhubarb pie w/strawberries baked in it too? Absolutely delicious :drool: I doubt the addition of strawberries to the Pie will make it any less messy when using for any type of calculations however. :confused:

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
I had some delicious rhubarb pie last night but when I tried to use it for stiffness calculations it just made a mess. :(
Keep your pie habits and how they affect your stiffness to yourself bub.

I am also and engineer, and this thread made me laugh my a$s off several times.