Quantcast

Whistler 2007. Whose going?

Connundrum1

Monkey
Mar 11, 2005
Gold River, Sac Town, CA
So now that Whistlers been open for a bit i'm curious to see whose going to be heading up there this summer.

Freeriderfor life (dave), Morethanjake543 (reed), and myself (joey) are heading up there from August 10th to the 19th. Road trip FTW. Anyone got anything planned? or anyone gonna be there same time as us and want to grab a beer?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Planning a quick strike for a long weekend in a couple weeks and then going back for 10 days end of August or early September. Friggin' stoked.

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
I think Dukesoftahoe ( Kris) and I will be headed up the second week of August so we might see you guys up there .... NO you cant sleep on the floor of our condo !

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
Curious for you guys that's driving up, is the border pretty tight. I heard driving in they're not as critical or don't stop you at the border. I have a friend that'd like to go but due to past records he was turned away when he flew into Canada. I'd hate for him to get turned away after driving up 16hrs.

Heading up there Aug 3rd-7th. Can't wait to get back up there!

heya ServeEm...your buddy won't have much of a problem getting in to Canada. There were pretty cool getting across the past two years...they chatted a bit and asked pointed questions, but did nothing but had us hold up our passports to be video taped and recorded, but they didn't run any of our names or anything.
Cross at your own risk though, eh?!

No issues crossing last year. Don't really expect it to be one this year. Just have your "papers" ready when you get there and of course the usual things: take off the cool sunglasses, turn the radio off, answer "Yes Sir, No Sir" etc.

Hey Josh, looks like it's getting pushed out a few weeks....maybe last week of August or first week of September. Either way, we're STILL going!

Connundrum1

Monkey
Mar 11, 2005
Gold River, Sac Town, CA
we've driven up twice and usually its pretty chill. hold up your papers and they might ask you were your headed and for what. if you say whistler for mountain biking they'll see bikes and let you go. on the way back its a little more intensive. they asked us where we live and work. nothing too bad but they are asking questions that potential illegals would get a little flustered over and they might get checked.

Make sure you have either a valid passport or notorized copy or orginal of your birth certificate, and your drivers license. make sure to allow enough time for the border crossing both ways as the lines can take 30 minutes or so to get through.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
oh snap so all id need instead of a passport is orig birth certificate and drivers license, nice. I might actually get to go then.

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
oh snap so all id need instead of a passport is orig birth certificate and drivers license, nice. I might actually get to go then.

DL is risky getting back into the country , as they give thoes things out to anyone . It might get you into Canada but it will cause you a world of grief trying to get back into the U.S.
Take my word for it a full on car serch isnt fun , neither is the 1hr wait in the holding room .

Pasport is pretty much standard now when leaving the country .

D

dwnwrd

Beginning this year you must have a passport to travel to Canada if you fly. If you drive you are ok until next year.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

I just got mine, it only took 2 weeks with expedited payment. Don't wait though. Fill out the online form then print it out. You need to know where and when your folks were born to fill out the app. Everything else you'll already know.

If you just want to get it done, go to the post office they can take your picture and the whole shebang. $15 for the pic though.

Can't wait to get up there!

Mordax

Monkey
Sep 13, 2003
Redding, CA
i go to school in vancouver so i cross the border all the time. it is possible that you could get turned away for past records, but its unlikely. i have known people that were turned away for DUIs. as for the passport, you dont need it to cross the border by car. as mentioned, a birth certificate and photo ID will work. passport is better tho

if you're not smuggling anything over or doing anything wrong, the border isnt anything to worry about. just answer all the questions they ask and dont be a smart ass. i find its luck of the draw whether i get a really nice agent or a total dick.

one thing you could do if you're going up to whistler is try crossing at a different crossing than the I-5 Peach Arch. you could cross through Lynden or Sumas WA.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=lynden,+wa&ie=UTF8&om=1&ll=48.966695,-122.383919&spn=0.162957,0.32135&z=12&iwloc=addr
the crossing are a lot smaller scale with much less traffic. they might not be as hardcore (no promise tho)

yeah we went accross the Lynden crossing the last two years. It's easy. although once you get to Canada 1 highway...yer screwed trying to get into Vancouver. Traffic both years was horrendous. And then coming back south there can be massive traffic delays. But then again they were doing a ton of road work up there both those years, lookin glike they were trying to widen the the 539, or whatever it's called in Canada.
We said srew it this year and are flying into Vancouver...easier that way. a bit more money, but a ton less hassle....hopefully!

Mordax

Monkey
Sep 13, 2003
Redding, CA
yeah we went accross the Lynden crossing the last two years. It's easy. although once you get to Canada 1 highway...yer screwed trying to get into Vancouver. Traffic both years was horrendous. And then coming back south there can be massive traffic delays. But then again they were doing a ton of road work up there both those years, lookin glike they were trying to widen the the 539, or whatever it's called in Canada.
We said srew it this year and are flying into Vancouver...easier that way. a bit more money, but a ton less hassle....hopefully!
traffic in vancouver is crap no matter how you do it. the highway system drives me insane. coming in on highway 1 is probably about as fast as coming up on 99 then going through downtown. flying will help, but you still have to get through downtown to get to whistler.

driving in that city is just a nightmare anyway you do it...

Connundrum1

Monkey
Mar 11, 2005
Gold River, Sac Town, CA
there is a positive though, the sea to sky highway leading to whistler has had construction going on for the last two years and is finally close to being done. they widened the highway for the upcoming Olympics.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i've got July 22-29 for the gravity camps, it'll be sick!!! i'm extra pumped because this year they're doing a drawing for 1 of 6 Fox 36 VAN RC2s. hopefully i learn some new stuff, my riding right now isn't top notch.

Connundrum1

Monkey
Mar 11, 2005
Gold River, Sac Town, CA
so morethanjake543, freerdr4life and myself are leaving early tomorrow morning for whistler and will be in town saturday morning. We'll have access to RM so anyone whose up there hit us up or say hey.

i'll be riding a blue Kona Coiler 2005, Morethan is on a black Transition Dirtbag and freerdr is on a light blue SC bullit.

Connundrum1

Monkey
Mar 11, 2005
Gold River, Sac Town, CA
Anyone in whistler anytime between right now and next sunday? couple of us have been here since yesterday and we're craving the chance to buy some fellow monkeys a beer or two. PM for phone numbers/ hotel room.