Quantcast

WHISTLER bike park opens early?

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
I'm not sure what the snow levels are up there. But judging by what we have here in the PNW, isn't it likely they would open up earlier than normal this year??
I should be up there for band tour around April, just wondering what any of you guys' thoughts were on that...

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
I thought crankworks was near the same weekend it was last year? I'd believe rumors of an early opening, the winter this year sucks.

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
east of Seattle
Corporatefailure said:
whistler, huh.
sun peaks is better.
Banning hard tailers why?
i think some ones pulling legs.

remember the suckers that didn't believe last year. They traveled all the way there only to find out the TRUTH!

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
I guess this would be a good time to bring up the 2.5 minimum tire size as well. We don't want our local riders being disgraced at MTB Mecca, do we?

There were alot more accidents than normal up there last year, so this is what they are doing to counter that problem.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
MMike said:
No no! It's true! It's a liability/safety thing. They are going to require a minimum about of wheel travel
For 2005, they upped it. Now there is an 8in minimum to ride at Whistler next year... so to be able to ride a hardtail, you need to have an 8in fork in front. A 3in travel bike would only need a 5in fork.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
There is a loop hole in their plan though. If you put 3" tires on your 3" travel XC bike and run the tires with like 5psi, you can still just about get 6" of travel.........

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
frank, did you forget to wear your helmet again?

they need to open whistler soon...get some people off the trails and up there....more dirt for me!!

the shore clears up fast when whistler opens shop...i really appreciate whistler for that one reason :P

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
I heard that some lower trails are actually hikable.......

I also heard they just upgraded their dress code, so make sure your only wearing baggie camo shorts, hawaiian t-shirts, and dirt lids with no straps. Anyone not looking like that will be turned away at the lift. Also, anyone looking like racers will have to stand in line for the 2 rental box trucks to shuttle them to the top, as long as the trannies dont go out that is....

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
I wish people were skilled and didn't injure themselves so much... I guess Whistler is the place where anyone would do it though...

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Law of averages. So many runs downs so often. You are bound to get hurt. 10 runs (half what you can do in a day) equals around 30,000vertical ft of decent (not including garbonzo)

Right now solid date is april 30th for an opening. If this keeps up, I imagine they will open earlier...and yes...you can hike a number of lower trails and ride them. We have no freaking snow haha

brock

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Tacoma, WA
oly said:
I heard that some lower trails are actually hikable.......

I also heard they just upgraded their dress code, so make sure your only wearing baggie camo shorts, hawaiian t-shirts, and dirt lids with no straps. Anyone not looking like that will be turned away at the lift. Also, anyone looking like racers will have to stand in line for the 2 rental box trucks to shuttle them to the top, as long as the trannies dont go out that is....
I think they are also implementing a 10% shirtless requirement. Any less than 10% of the lift line without shirts and they will shut the lifts down.

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
You guys forgot the no single-crown fork rule...and you need to pass a skills test to get a Whistler Bike Park bicycle license.

holliswood

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
University Place
ioscope said:
I'm not sure what the snow levels are up there. But judging by what we have here in the PNW, isn't it likely they would open up earlier than normal this year??
I should be up there for band tour around April, just wondering what any of you guys' thoughts were on that...
Band tour or band camp? Watch where they put those flutes! :D

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
I dunno, a skills test might not be a completely bad idea. maybe have a small (3' or so) drop and a small jump. If you puss out then you can't ride..... no questions asked.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
A skills test would be stupid because if you went a long way to get there some little kid will huck themselves just to get it... Even if they can't handel A-Line... a skills test would be a waste of time. I might fail...