Quantcast

Whistler Dirtbag Info?

jimw

Monkey
Aug 10, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
So, at the last minute I have a possible opportunity to head up to Whistler for the weekend. It's not even for sure yet, so obviously no planning has been done. I need some help from the Whistler gurus here. I'm driving, and looking for info on where to stay dirtbag style. I'm up for anything from sleeping in the car to staying at a cheap hotel. Any info on the following greatly appreciated:

- Places to park and sleep in the car w/o a hassle.

- Places to camp, RV style.

- Places to take a shower.

- Places to do laundry (got some stank on the body armor and not sure how many days I can handle it... :))

- Cheap hotels, if there is such a thing. I'm there to ride and am fine with "rustic".

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
- whistler steals bikes....sleep with it....preferably not in one of the whistler parking lots

-Campground about 2-5 miles before you hit whistler on the right...never checked it out though

-jump in the river, it's right there

-dip it in the river, it's right there

-just look up whistler condos....bike season has nothing on ski season, there's lots available

jimw

Monkey
Aug 10, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
One other thing. My understanding from searching other threads (like this one) is that you don't need a passport to cross the border if you're driving, that a driver's license and birth certificate are sufficient. Can anyone confirm that this is still the case?

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
One other thing. My understanding from searching other threads (like this one) is that you don't need a passport to cross the border if you're driving, that a driver's license and birth certificate are sufficient. Can anyone confirm that this is still the case?
For this summer they relaxed their border crossing standards. It was passport last year and now this year it's back to license/birth certificate.

Jim, you guys going for sure? Wish I could join you!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
You can camp at that site, or sleep in your car in the parking lot. Or check out alluradirect.com for about a million places to stay, some that are pretty cheap in the summer. Get one with a kitchen and laundry and you'll be all set, might even save money if you buy and cook your own food.

FREERDR4LF

Monkey
Feb 11, 2006
FOLSOM, CA.
we stayed at the whistler village inn and suites a couple weeks ago and i noticed that the back door to the powder lodge part of it was open during the day sometimes, you can sneak in on the first floor and do laundry there, or go to the main office and go up to the 2nd floor in the elevator, turn left and down the hall there is a washer and dryer.

also, in the mornings from 7-9 they serve a killer breakfast in the main lobby where the check in desk is and they don't really pay attention to who goes in there and you don't need a hotel room key to get into that part, and i would imagine it is like that for most of the hotels.

good luck and have fun, sure wish i could go back there.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
Really?

I was under the impression the opposite was true.......
nope.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1082.html

Land and sea travelers are encouraged to have a valid U.S. passport. If they do not have a passport, they should be prepared to provide a government-issued photo ID (e.g. Driver's License) and proof of U.S. citizenship such as a U.S. birth or naturalization certificate.
but i'm sure they'll tighten their rules again after this summer.

FREERDR4LF

Monkey
Feb 11, 2006
FOLSOM, CA.
i mentioned that i went a couple weeks ago and the borders were no problem at all. they just looked at our DL's and birth certs. if you do have a passport than you don't need a license they said. that's all.
but a DL and a BC will do just fine. the only problem is the line that took an hour and 45 mins. the line back into the U.S. would of taken 2 hours but we went into the duty free shop and then cut back into line and it only took us 50 mins. max.

jimw

Monkey
Aug 10, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
Thanks all for the info. Trip is still pending. Yeah Josh I'm talking about this weekend, i.e. day after tomorrow. It's crazy because we're driving, it's 2 days from now, it's just for the weekend, and we haven't decided yet. But it just might happen. :)

Kevin, even if we go we'll just miss you... we'll probably be heading back Monday. Have fun up there! Looks like some weather maybe coming in around then, hopefully not too wet...

jimw

Monkey
Aug 10, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
Thanks again for the tips. Turned out to be a fun trip (but a hell of a lot of driving! :)) Found a decent deal on a condo through alluradirect. Riding on Sat was good, it had rained on Fri and was drying up on Sat. Sun it rained hard, but we went out anyway. I was surprised at how decent the riding was in the rain. I don't think the bike liked it so much though... :) Looks like it's clearing up for this week so it should be fantastic out there now. We ended up only riding a few of the trails on the lower mountain, there's so much more out there to explore! What a great place.