Quantcast

Whistler - Garbanzo

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
When do they usually announce the date of Garbanzo lift opening?

My trip is tentatively planned for last week in June. Any chance Garbanzo won't be open by then? I'm not really in the loop as to the amount of snow they had this year vs. last.

thanks guys.
-rob in Brooklyn

midas

Chimp
Aug 16, 2005
Vancouver, Canada
may long weekend is when the bike park opens but then again thats just the lower lift and a-line. last year aline was dug out and theres wayyyy more snow this year. garbanzo might be open by the time your here at end of june but if it is im pretty sure there will be snow on the ground in spots up there still.

InsideMan

Monkey
Jun 1, 2006
On an Island
August seems like a perfect time to go. Cranx is over with, big crowds are dying off due to back to school and Bonzo open fo sho. Thats when we are planning our trip anyway.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
last year they opened garbonzo in mid to late june, this year expect early july, possibly last couple days of june. the trails tend to be muddy when they first open them too.

renorider40

Monkey
Aug 22, 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by demo 9
omg. thats soo much snow. i'm glad i dont live in canada!!!

There, I fixed that for ya!
What you meant to say is you don't need to live in canada. You could just move to mammoth and ski the 50+ they got last year. haha to bad i didn't get any love from the snow gods this year.

I'd much rather have a super gnarly winter with snow build up that lasts well into the summer. Cause i can ride all year long but i can only ski if the resorts are open.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
last year they opened garbonzo in mid to late june, this year expect early july, possibly last couple days of june. the trails tend to be muddy when they first open them too.
Just what I want to hear so I can hit the Gabanzo in muddy cold weather again this year. The day I can ride it dry should be interesting.

TtotheJ

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
B'ham, WA
Honestly the best time of year to ride up there is early-mid September. The weather is cooler, generally dry, low crowds (especially on the weekdays), and the trail crew has had some time to fix all the damage from the summer crowds. Plus the whole mountain is guaranteed to be open. The only draw back is extended play is over so you can only ride from 10 - 5, but with no crowds that's more than enough time.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Year before last we were there when Garbanzo first opened. The few trails that were open were a soupy mess. Fun for a little while but our bikes and gear were just wrecked day after day and some of the rocks, roots, and woodwork are sketchy as hell when it's slimy. Much better last year later in the season - late August/early September.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
there's so much snow in the alpine this year, would be pretty surprised if they were ready to do garb mid to end of June, mid july is probably more realistic....but all it takes is a couple weeks of warm temps and rain and it goes quick......to early to tell now though, it could just as easily get cold and snow more....

Well, here's the latest update:

Spring is Here

The skiing is still sooo good, in fact I had one the best days doing high speed cruisers (next best thing when there isn't any fresh pow) last Thursday. But the sun is stronger, I got a sunburn on my face and (the bigwigs will hang me for saying this), you won't believe how happy I am to see the brown spots on the lower part of the mountain. You can even smell the moist earth melting out, coming out of hibernation. Speaking of which, bears have been sighted in the valley. Spring is definitely here. I'm so excited, I even went for an X-C ride in Pemby last weekend.

Now, before you get too exited and start bouncing up and down on your bike, there is still a lot of snow at the top of Fitz chair. We have set the opening date for May 19 and I know that we will have a lot of work to do before then. The rusty cogs in our heads are starting to turn as we are beginning to plan out the year. One part of me is stoked and the other part is cold with fear.
Full article here: http://www.whistlerbike.com/information/updates/april7_07.htm

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Whistler responded to my email (within 24 hours)!
------------------

Dear Rob,

Thank you for your inquiry. The tentative opening date for the Garbonzo Chair is June 23rd. This date is weather/trail dependant. I hope this helps you out. Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I had a dream last night that I was riding Freight Train........badass

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I had a dream last night that I was riding Freight Train........badass
I prefer no joke myself. For some reason my favorite corner ever is the left hand double jump into no joke off the fireroad just in front of the container steup on freight train followed by the gigantic roll in after that who's name i cannot remember.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I prefer no joke myself. For some reason my favorite corner ever is the left hand double jump into no joke off the fireroad just in front of the container steup on freight train followed by the gigantic roll in after that who's name i cannot remember.
No joke is good sh*t too!
Drop clinic is the roll-in/G out thingy I believe....it pretty much rules:monkeydance:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Apparently you will be able to ride bits and pieces of no joke from what i hear from people living there. It crosses back and forth over freight train and you can swap back and forth to get around the construction?

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
we'll see, they're almost done construction, unfortunately the major major they're building is a bridge from the upper part of the women's dh course over onto lower franz's....that means lots of construction traffic and likely not much no joke unless they built up some new trail.....expect original sin and all those to be seriously affected by work on the men's dh course this summer too......lots to be done on that

RaID

Turbo Monkey
Honestly the best time of year to ride up there is early-mid September. The weather is cooler, generally dry, low crowds (especially on the weekdays), and the trail crew has had some time to fix all the damage from the summer crowds. Plus the whole mountain is guaranteed to be open. The only draw back is extended play is over so you can only ride from 10 - 5, but with no crowds that's more than enough time.
what do you define as a crowd?

when i was riding weekends there in 05, the long weekends were crowdy and cranksworx ie you waited about 10mins in lift lines crankworx was longer waited

Whereas the rest of the weekends it was pretty much a 2min wait if that, by the end of the day i couldnt hold on to the handle bars anyway and was religated to doing aline (as it was the smoothest trail even with the brake bumps).
Dunno i could get more riding in even if i wanted on those days just too tired

Comparing that to ski resorts in winter i still considered whistler to be empty

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
apparently the gondola will be down for a refit until july so the chair will be seeing significantly more volume. not sure if we'll be sharing with hiker traffic as well. could be some nasty lines on weekends.

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
I wasn't stoked on the Gondola news as we have a four-day trip planned up there for the weekend after Memorial Day, but what the hell: long lines is better than no Whistler! Stoked to hit the trails with my new Dirtbag, it's been eating up everything else I've thrown at it since February so I can't wait to see how it does on A-line, Angry Pirate, Dirt Merchant, Schleyer, Lower Whistler Downhill (drooling)...

May 30, 2005
A$$pen
apparently the gondola will be down for a refit until july so the chair will be seeing significantly more volume. not sure if we'll be sharing with hiker traffic as well. could be some nasty lines on weekends.
I'm pretty sure the gondola was closed until around July last year. It did make the weekend lines a bit longer.