Quantcast

Whistler GoPro Footage

swadd1er

Chimp
May 24, 2010
Newcastle
Not sure if this is the correct place to be posting this so if it's not just move it to the necessary board.

I've uploaded some of my GoPro footage to YouTube from Whistler back in August. Just thought some people might like to have a look.

Enjoy

Freight Train:

Fade to Black:

Dirt Merchant:

A-Line:

Raw clips from different trails (Dwayne Johnson, Canadian Open, Ho Chi Min and a few others)

My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/swadd1er

swadd1er

Chimp
May 24, 2010
Newcastle
What are peoples opinions on the camera angle? Do people think a helmet mount is any better? What i've found, is that helmet camera's are a lot more steady on rougher terrain, where as the chest cam gives a much better impression of tricks and the size of jumps/drops. Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers

lobsterCT

Monkey
Jun 23, 2015
What are peoples opinions on the camera angle? Do people think a helmet mount is any better? What i've found, is that helmet camera's are a lot more steady on rougher terrain, where as the chest cam gives a much better impression of tricks and the size of jumps/drops. Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers

Cool videos. If you like the chest mount, maybe you could get a garmin verb xe or Sony action cam that has built in image stabilization.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
The latest thing is the gimbal. You use the chest mount and gopro with the gimbal and you get the life-like impression of the chest mounting position with image stability superior to even a head cam.

In my experience inbuilt image stabilization (usually software-based) never works particularly well, the mechanical 3-axis gimbal on the other hand offers truly impressive results.

There are probably better videos out there, but this one from 45s onwards gives an idea:

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
For chesty, I don;t actually like the gimbal at all - prefer it to have a bit of shake.

For follow cam / handheld taking footage, then the stabilisation looks great. Context feels very lost with the gimbal.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah but no one cares what you like.

"A bit of shake" isn't something you can actually define (without a gimbal) unless you're riding paved trails all day. See my video here for an example of one that would benefit greatly from it. Furthermore, in the future (if not already) I think you'll be able to adjust the % correction, so it can only be a good thing. Implementing that functionality would literally just be a few extra lines of code.