Quantcast

Whistler, got culture?

Ruprick

Chimp
Apr 28, 2004
kootenay
I grew up riding, racing and road tripping in beautiful British Columbia. I've ridden in almost every town, city plus the odd trail in the middle of nowhere. I love bikes, shuttled, climbed, descended and just plain ridden. I like bike riders, everyone unique with their own riding style and personality. Bike culture is BC culture, from the trails to the riders to the bike shops. Legendary characters and trails have made BC what it is today, a playground for active people seeking out mountain experiences.

Everytime I see a post about someone making the trip to whistler and not riding anywhere else in BC I want to cry. In my opinion, it's like travelling to New York and eating at Mcdonalds. Sure it's food, but where is the culture? If you fly into Vancouver and drive to the big w you pass more trails in North Van and Squamish than there is on all of Whistler. In fact my local town of 3000 people has more vertical and trails than Whis and guess what, no line-ups. They are free to ride (remember freeriding) handbuilt, lovingly slaved over works of art built by chainsaw weilding bike ninjas. If you don't want to climb most towns in BC have shuttle services that can be arranged at the bike shop. You could sit in the parking lot at the bottom of Seymour and within half an hour you would meet a local that will proudly show you these trails and in doing so get a glimpse at what the local culture is all about.

Go ride in Squamish, Pemberton, North Van, the Valley, the Okanagan, Lilloet, Christina Lake, Nelson, Rossland, Williams Lake and all points inbetween and have a real mountain culture experience. It will take more planning and getting out of the car to (gasp) talk to strangers than the all inclusive package but you won't regret it.
Ride British Columbia, it's good. :dancing:

CChris

Chimp
Jul 20, 2004
The Monch
I'm sure you'll get lots of takers. But get too many and you'll have another Whistler on your hands... Just don't tell Intrawest..

BigHitExpert

Chimp
Jul 6, 2004
NORTH SHORE
:thumb:

Whistler is definately an awesome place to ride... I'm from the North Shore and am a seasons pass holder to whistler. That being said, there is SO much stuff to ride in BC... don't limit yourselves to only Whistler.

The mountains of the North Shore are a mecca for Mountainbiking. The trailbuilding, sponsored by NSMBA is fantastic, and totally outdoes what you will find at Whistler (ie. the poster-child trail CBC on Seymour). Sure, there is no chairlift, but Cypress and Seymour are both shuttleable, and the climb up Fromme is mellow, scenic and the trails are SICK :D

Definately don't miss out on these gems if you are on an extended trip to BC... there is WAY more than just Whistler, and better yet... it's FREE!

I've only had the chance to ride the Shore and a few other spots so far, as i'm relatively new to the sport but my 'to do list' for the summer includes Squamish, Pemberton, Burke, Woodlot and Eagle, Williams Lake and Campbell River.

For those of you who are planning on hitting up any of the lower-mainland (area surrounding vancouver) hot spots, be sure to check out www.gutsploder.net for trail maps with COOL picture links :D

RIDE BC!!!

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I will definitely ride other spots in the area when I come back, but this time it was on Kona's tab and on their schedule...

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
Ruprick said:
I grew up riding, racing and road tripping in beautiful British Columbia. I've ridden in almost every town, city plus the odd trail in the middle of nowhere. I love bikes, shuttled, climbed, descended and just plain ridden. I like bike riders, everyone unique with their own riding style and personality. Bike culture is BC culture, from the trails to the riders to the bike shops. Legendary characters and trails have made BC what it is today, a playground for active people seeking out mountain experiences.

Everytime I see a post about someone making the trip to whistler and not riding anywhere else in BC I want to cry. In my opinion, it's like travelling to New York and eating at Mcdonalds. Sure it's food, but where is the culture? If you fly into Vancouver and drive to the big w you pass more trails in North Van and Squamish than there is on all of Whistler. In fact my local town of 3000 people has more vertical and trails than Whis and guess what, no line-ups. They are free to ride (remember freeriding) handbuilt, lovingly slaved over works of art built by chainsaw weilding bike ninjas. If you don't want to climb most towns in BC have shuttle services that can be arranged at the bike shop. You could sit in the parking lot at the bottom of Seymour and within half an hour you would meet a local that will proudly show you these trails and in doing so get a glimpse at what the local culture is all about.

Go ride in Squamish, Pemberton, North Van, the Valley, the Okanagan, Lilloet, Christina Lake, Nelson, Rossland, Williams Lake and all points inbetween and have a real mountain culture experience. It will take more planning and getting out of the car to (gasp) talk to strangers than the all inclusive package but you won't regret it.
Ride British Columbia, it's good. :dancing:
You're absolutely right. Last year I took a trip to BC and was able to hit up Penticton just before it burned, Nelson, Kaslo (Monster was incredible) Kelowna, the Shore, Lillooet (heli-drop), Whistler, and made an appearance at Kamloops, but it was closed (fire).

The most incredible trip I've ever taken. Whistler was great, but the heli-drop (7k vert in one shot), the Monster, Gimp, man what a ride!

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Had I not disintegrated my frame on my last run of the day at Whistler, I would have done much of what you listed. I had made plans with some Kitsilano locals who were going to show me much more than just Whistler, but by the time I got back from there, my choice was use my last $60 on a rental bike(that wouldn't be sprung for my girth) for one day or pick up a fat sack of Golden Haze.

I still think I took the right decision.

Zack

Monkey
Apr 5, 2004
West Menlo
A friend and I are going up to Whistler August 4th-11th. I have read and heard about all the other stuff but the bike park, but I always thought it was kind of a locals-only type thing, or for really good, experienced north shore riders, which we're not. I'd love to check out some different areas. If anybody wouldn't mind showing us around sometime that week, that'd be really awesome. PM me or something and maybe we can set something up.

Dirt Merchant

Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
Hilton, NY
"SING IT"
Amen! People around The Shore were quick to help wth just about anything:
a ride to the top, a light, directions....just for the asking. Just make sure to ask first!
I can't wait to go back!

Ruprick

Chimp
Apr 28, 2004
kootenay
Zack- Check the bike shops, they want you to ride the trails. There are maps and even guides (not much more than the $40 the lift tickets cost) to show you around or just ask folks. They don't call Canadians friendly for nothing.

Zack

Monkey
Apr 5, 2004
West Menlo
Sounds good. Any bike shops and/or trails you really recommend? Also, how do you recommend getting to and from these places from the Whistler bike park itself? We are staying in a condo on the mountain, and we don't have a car or anything.

Thanks,
Zack

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Zack said:
Sounds good. Any bike shops and/or trails you really recommend? Also, how do you recommend getting to and from these places from the Whistler bike park itself? We are staying in a condo on the mountain, and we don't have a car or anything.
Zack, while you're at Whistler you should check out some of the trails in the valley, across the highway from the village. We were there last week and riding River Runs Through It in the valley was a great break from the bike park. River Runs Through It is a mostly flat to rolling trail that offers a continuous assortment of fun skinnies, ladders, and stunts that appeals to a wide range of skill levels. It's just a short ride from the village and you can get directions and a free map to the trails over in the valley from any of the bike shops in Whistler.

Zack

Monkey
Apr 5, 2004
West Menlo
Oh man, that looks soooo sweet. Thanks for the tip. I read about that trail on LeeLikesBikes also. I didn't realize how accessible it is! Thanks again.