Quantcast

Whistler, Minions or High Rollers?

Feb 3, 2005
Whistler
i'll be running a minon 2.7 front and highroller 2.5 rear . I have another highroller 2.5 that i'll probably throw on the front soon becasue the minion was used last season

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
SRY 2.7 minion DHF on the front and a SRY or 60D 2.5 minion DHF, DHR, or HR rear. I like bigger tires for Whistler.

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
I've heard that the SRY wears better than the ST tires. Then again, I could just be crazy and making up random crap again. Either or, you're going to be better off with the SRYs.

And I agree with Kanter, bigger tires are good up there. I'd personally go 2.7F 2.7R. It doesn't hurt to have lots of rubber under you up there - you probably won't be doing much pedaling around on flat and uphill, save maybe in the village.

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
maxxis runs small so definitly a 2.7 in the front, 2.7 or 2.5 rear.
for the front: ST minnion DHF.
for the rear: DHR if you want to be able to stop no matter what, HR if you like to drift corners, DHF if you like railing corners.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Radarr said:
And I agree with Kanter, bigger tires are good up there.
i've always run skinny tires up there. everything is so buff, you really dont need the big meat. i'm typically on michelin c16 /c24 2.2's or highroller 2.35's (when its dry; not a great front tire when its wet - the c16 rules the slop).

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
xy9ine said:
i've always run skinny tires up there. everything is so buff, you really dont need the big meat. i'm typically on michelin c16 /c24 2.2's or highroller 2.35's (when its dry; not a great front tire when its wet - the c16 rules the slop).
I've run both, and what I've found is this:

Smaller tires work great in the early season when everything in really buffed. Bigger tires are nicer for the latter part of the summer when you really start to get the trails torn up.

Not only that, but with bigger tires, you jump bigger. Everyone knows that.

sirbikealot

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
Dundas,ON,CAN
geez guys its whistler the whole place is like a paved parking lot except for the nationals course
i'd run a fast rolling high roller or a semi slick 2.5 front 2.3 rear

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
Anyone who says slicks and that Whistler is all buffed hasn't ridden the upper sections. Slicks would be retarded. Go fat 2.7 High rollers.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
I'll throw a big 'hell yeah' behind 2.5 minion F's front and rear, 60 duro if you want it to last more than a week.......I used to run 2.7's, totally unecessary....oh, and mr.arlington va, you'd be very surprised at how well slicks work......I ran a intense 2.4 zero on the rear for a couple of months and it railed.....and I ride everything, hell, I used it on my 'xc' bike for a while....

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Dude, semis rule. I rocked a Ritchey 2.0 semi-slick at Mammoth and although it was sketch it still worked alright on Velocity.

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
FlipFantasia said:
I'll throw a big 'hell yeah' behind 2.5 minion F's front and rear, 60 duro if you want it to last more than a week.......I used to run 2.7's, totally unecessary....oh, and mr.arlington va, you'd be very surprised at how well slicks work......I ran a intense 2.4 zero on the rear for a couple of months and it railed.....and I ride everything, hell, I used it on my 'xc' bike for a while....
ahh yes thank you some one else is w/ me!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Transfer said:
sorry there tiger. :think: If it has the word SLICK in it, you don't want it for riding most of Whistler.
DH semi slicks (zero, HR Slick etc) would work just fine for most of Whistler.

Flip lives there year round, i think he just may have some idea of what works.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
2.5 st highroller front and rear..ive run both minions and hr there and perfer the highroller