Quantcast

Whistler trip for 2011 - Questions

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I am thinking of planning a trip sometime in September to go up to Whistler for the first time. I have been trying to make it out there literally the last 6 years of me riding and I just haven't been able to make it yet (due to injuries or lack of funds).

Here is what I am thinking so far (I would really like to get some advice and/or your thoughts on everything).

-Looking to do a Friday - Sunday trip (10 days total). Looked at airfare/hotel and it looks like it would be about $900-$1000 just for that.
-Should I ship or fly with my bike? What kind of costs am I looking at to do either?
-Lift tickets. I know nothing about what it would cost for these. Tried looking around and seemed to be pretty unsuccessful. What kind of cost am I looking at here to ride the lifts the whole time I am there? Are there any lift ticket packages that will cover the 9-10 days of riding?
-What kind of things should I expect to pay for while I am out there (besides the obvious food/drink)?
-Anything else you think I should know for a first timer out there?

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
-Looking to do a Friday - Sunday trip (10 days total). Looked at airfare/hotel and it looks like it would be about $900-$1000 just for that.
-Should I ship or fly with my bike? What kind of costs am I looking at to do either?
-Lift tickets. I know nothing about what it would cost for these. Tried looking around and seemed to be pretty unsuccessful. What kind of cost am I looking at here to ride the lifts the whole time I am there? Are there any lift ticket packages that will cover the 9-10 days of riding?
-What kind of things should I expect to pay for while I am out there (besides the obvious food/drink)?
-Anything else you think I should know for a first timer out there?
-add in rental car or 100$ bus ride to and from whister from yvr
-fly with the bike. Break it down into 2 boxes or suitcases and they are camping supplies! saves money. Shipping costs north of 200 each way and it can sit in customs for a week+
-you will be on the triple play program. pay for 3 lift tickets at full price 45$ i think and then they are discounted after that. you get a discount on food at the glc with your card too. seasons pass is something like 16 days on hill.
-food and drink are spendy if you go to the nice restaurants out there, prep for that, but there is good food to be had.
-alluredirect.com for some nice condos to rent for decent prices. Beer is stupid expensive, bring some spare parts if you can prices are MSRP+20%, if you rent a car parking is not free anywhere overnight close to condos unless its in your condo deal, if you can find a condo with a washer and dryer, the riding will blow your mind! :)

have fun, i have 2 trips planned already :)

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
WiscoDH FTW!!

Keep in mind that driving is totally doable from Santa Cruz. Even with gas through the roof it's cheaper, and you won't need to rent a car or beg for rides for off-mountain stuff. You can also bring more stuff like tools, stands, etc. Figure around 18-20 hours total driving time. Portland is a good overnight stop if you know anyone there.

I've done it a bunch of different ways, and the best is the combo: Get your crew to drive up with your bikes and all your crap while you fly!

Also, bring extra small parts like brake pads, derailleur hangers, etc., especially if it's a rare or unique thing. Prices on widely-available stuff are through the roof, and you don't want to be out of luck on some small widget when you're on vacation.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Yo.

Looks like they haven't figured out their "Triple Play" rates yet for this year. I think I paid about $120 for it last year. It gets you 3 days of riding, and 15% off all subsequent tickets. (I may be a little off on my prices, but you get the idea) You definitely want to get one of these because the other beauty of it is that you don't have to stand in the heinous lines at guest services more than once. All subsequent days are just zapped directly onto your credit card at the lift line.

The alluradirect.com is a good tip. You can score some really nice spots for not too much $$. The places on the Blackcomb side are nice, away from the kooky crowds, and sometimes a little cheaper. There is something to be said for being REALLY close to the lifts, but Blackcomb isn't THAT far.

With your triple play, you get a 15% off at the GLC (a bar/resto) at the base station to the gondola. The food is decent enough there, and lunch will run you about $15 or so. Cheaper options are available at the Bike n Bean just across the way for burgers off the grill for $7 or so. GLC gets you a better view of the hill and the GLC drop for your entertainment.

I'd suggest flying with your bike too. Air Canada charges $50 for a bike on a domestic flight. Not sure what it'll cost flying from your neck of the woods. But for those of us who care about their bikes, and have little faith in the good folks at the customs brokerage houses, flying with bike is the way to go.

As far as other charges are concerned.... so long as you keep your bike and yourself is one piece, there shouldn't be any. Oo, actually, if you're planning on staying at a hotel, parking will cost you a fair chunk of change. Condos usually have underground spots included. Bike parts are $$ there, unless you're there for the Turkey sale (in Sept I think, Canadian T-giving). Mid summer I paid $8 for a quick link. During the turkey sale, I got a carbon Remedy for $200. In general, bring a spare derailleur and hanger just in case.

Bike storage: Some hotels frown on bringing your bike into the room. Last I checked, the Whistler Village Inn let you bring the bike into the room. They renovated last year, so that may no longer be the case. If you go the condo route, make sure you make it clear to the condo renter that you're planning on having your bike and see how they react. Most seem to expect it, and don't give you a hassle. Others will expect you to leave it in the cage in the garage. As long as you're careful, you can usually get away with it. Just don't careless.

http://www.whistlerbike.com/index.htm

Drop me a line when you roll into town. I'm slow, but I ride with a good bunch of fast-guy-racer-types who tolerate my pace. And they/we know the trails pretty well! Ask Kenan, it's a hoot!

camarush

Chimp
Sep 14, 2010
San Jose, Ca
If you are gonna fly with your bike, air canada is the only way to go (make sure it is actually air canada both ways - not air canada operated by united). As mentioned previously, they have a flat rate of 50$ for a bike each way - sf to yvr (double check their current rates though). I took a 80lb dakine bike box both ways and got nailed on united for overages (both measurements and weights) and air canada never batted an eye.

I've done it both ways and consider sept too close to the end of the season to rent a bike, but wouldn't skip the trip if it were my only option. They can get abused over the course of the season.

For ten days, I would consider perimeter transportation bus instead of car rental and car parking fees.

the best airfare i have got from SFO to YVR was $272 roundtrip. The highest I have paid was $375ish. I keep an eye on bing/travel for farecasts and flexible travel searches.

I'm in San Jose, might consider lending you the dakine bike box. PM me.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
September is rad, the crowds have cleared off, the weather is generally mild, you can usually buy stuff for cheaper than you could in the middle of summer, and if you're lucky there'll be a new trail they're putting in somewhere for you to guinea pig :)

As for the rental bikes - I can't speak for the other shops because I don't know exactly what they do, but Evolution check over and service their bikes every day. Nothing gets left in a bad state. Their hire bikes are Demo 8s which IMO are the nicest rentals you'll find in Whistler.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
there was a special price for the season pass in september if you arrived after the main season (around 200$?), look out for that.
Yeah, I was there the end of September and it was called the "fall pass." IIRC, it was $140, but we were staying 6 days and it was cheaper than triple play passes. I'd have to dig up my receipt to be sure.

I'll add another vote for going in September. It's the best time to go IMO. BUT, keep an eye on their schedule as they start to limit the Garbanzo lift to weekends only... We were there the last week of September and they tore the lift down the first Monday we were riding. Done for the season! Luckily, we got our fill of Garbo on the Saturday and Sunday before.

For sure look for a condo or "staff housing" when you're there. It's usually cheaper. If you have to stay in a motel, I recommend the Whistler Village Inn and Suites. They don't care if you take your bike up to your room (make sure it's clean) the rates aren't bad, and it's 30 seconds to the Fitzsimmons chair. They have suites with a kitchen that will cut your dining costs down if you can muster some time to cook pasta.

Have fun man. After this first trip, it will be your sole mission every year to return. This'll be my 8th trip if I get up there. (Last week of Sept again! ;))

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
yeah the fall pass was the best option when i was there two years ago.

rented a norco team DH from fanatyk i think.
they ckecked the bike every day.
i had problems with the saint brake leaking they bled the brakes on the first day and replaced the brake hose for the second day, afterwards it was flawlees except for me destroying a saddle.

great guys :)

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I know, I still have time to arrange everything, but I plan my big, 3 weeks trip Whistler (from Europe) during summer 2012. I've been told July is good, too, coz trails are in very good condition after spring renovation. What do you think?
What's the best deal for bike (lift) pass for 3 weeks?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Josh - Let me know when you go. I have a group that wants to go up, but we're all probably doing 2 bikes - trail and DH. If you have the truck, it might be worth all of us getting in together and renting a trailer from uhaul then splitting the cost. You lose 1.5 days on each end. I don't know about you, but days of straight riding is brutal, so the 3 days of 12 is not a killer on the vaca.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
Just bring a Visa, anything can happen on a bike Trip, every trip I ever go on something unexpected happens and something I didnt plan down to a financial T springs up, broken bike parts, car parts, etc etc etc etc.
I think if you go into any adventure, be it a bike trip or a vacation or whatever, just be flexible. I guess what I mean is, IMO flying to whistler for 10 days on this amazing trip your planning for 6 years, dont go their with no back up funds. Some things you just cant plan for.
In saying that it sounds like an awsome trip you have planned and I hope it all works out for ya. Remeber to, theirs other resorts in that general Area and part of the Country that are just as amazing.

bwolmarans

Monkey
Aug 23, 2006
The Angels, Kalifornia
What say rideMonkey for trustworthy retnal bike shops in Whistler? Who should get my $500? Which shops are good, which ones will roll out a bike with bald rock hard old nevegals on me?

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
What say rideMonkey for trustworthy retnal bike shops in Whistler? Who should get my $500? Which shops are good, which ones will roll out a bike with bald rock hard old nevegals on me?
i did have a good experience with fanatyk in 2009
good service got the bike back in great shape everyday, they fixed the leaking saint brakes while i was heading for lunch. :thumb:

the only downside was the bike itself 2009 Norco Team DH sucked...

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
One guy in our party rented last year from both shops, and found Evolution's service, bike stock and attitude better than Fanatyk's. Showroom-condition Spec Demo.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
bike co. rents giants, summit rocky mountain, WB demo centre has many different brands as previously mentioned. They're all good shops in their own respects, just depends what kind of bike you're looking for.

Big J

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Chicago
Trail report, how long before the upper section is open? Whistler site is lacking in details.....

Thanks,

J

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
Trail report, how long before the upper section is open? Whistler site is lacking in details.....

Thanks,

J
not any time soon...they're currently working on digging out blue velvet and the garbo dh course.....but that'll be weeks away I'm guessing, there is still a significant amount of snow at higher elevations. Mid-Elevation valley trails have only just melted out in the last week, and there is still a lot of snow on the access to those trails...

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Upper usually opens last week of June or first week of July. I have my fingers crossed, since I get there on July 4th.

Was Whistler snowfall as record-setting as it was in the States?

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
Upper usually opens last week of June or first week of July. I have my fingers crossed, since I get there on July 4th.

see my post above......2nd snowiest winter on record, as of 3 weeks ago there was still a 3m base at the top of garbo

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Last time the wife and I went, it turned out to be cheaper to fly into Seattle on southwest and then just rent a panel van (not passenger, they cost way more) and drive to whistler.

That was only for a week though, I'm not sure if it's worth it to have a rental van parked for two weeks while you pay for it.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
I'd recommend Evolution, all the bikes get everything very well maintained. I worked there last year in the workshop, and if stuff needed fixing, it got fixed immediately. Every bike gets inspected upon return, and anything that needs attention gets sorted on the spot. You also have the advantage of having arguably the nicest-riding rental bikes out of all the shops there in the Demo 8s.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
- if renting a car duffle ur bike fly to YVR
- buy you're food in squamish at the grocery store
- ride the valley trails (get a map)
- hit up the breakfast place in function junction
- go buy parts from chromag because those dudes rule
- austrailian whores, get lots of em

Last edited:

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
I second the Evolution recommendation. I've never rented from them but there service has always been awesome. They've helped me out of a bind a few times and for a reasonable price. Tip them in beer.

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
eat - sushi village
party - my pants (hiiiiiiiioooooo) i kid, we just drank to tired to rage ever
buy beer - good luck all over priced, but one of the marts will do

that pizza shop is avalanche

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
You're going to want to hit up the Government Liquor Store in the Whistler Marketplace for beer, it'll save you a couple of bucks a case. BC has the highest retail prices for liquor in all of North America, just to prepare you.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
yeah there basically isnt a deal on beer...just suck it up and have some jugs in the village...i try to live it up when im in whistler...beer is one of those things i just suck up.

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
You're going to want to hit up the Government Liquor Store in the Whistler Marketplace for beer, it'll save you a couple of bucks a case. BC has the highest retail prices for liquor in all of North America, just to prepare you.
Good thing I'm bringing a couple of bottles of Tequila with me :rofl::weee:

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I went to Whistler last September as part of my honeymoon, and we rented Demo 8's from Evolution. I would definitely recommend them, they were great to work with, and even at the end of the season, the rentals were still in perfectly working order.
They do a pretty extensive inspection of the bike before and after you rent it, and they'll charge you for damage, which is probably why people treat the rentals with some respect. Apparently, I managed to put a dent in one of the DT rims (must have given it a stern look), and they charged me $5 for it. Anyway, they are definitely a good place to rent from.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
fly with the bike. get a condo where you can keep the bike inside. that should also mean a fridge for trips to the grocery store in the village.

consider this http://www.nsmb.com/brocard/

"Cita" is pronounced Cheetah for some reason. Drink there once, more if you like it.

Gelato is good. Cows might be better.

Zog's aint bad mid-day grub.

The german-owned mexican place isn't bad. The crepe place next to it is tasty, but spendy.

Get a spot on the patio at the foot of the hill at the end of the day and order a pitcher, some food, and watch the braaaps and hacks on the GLC drop. Your tripple-play/brocard should get you a discount there too.

bring a lock.

also hotels are picky about bikes in the room. it can be done, but they can also force you to use a common area bike locker. bring a lock.

Last edited:

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Best places to eat, party, buy beer?
You really can't go wrong. Nowhere there is "cheap" for any of the above, but pretty well everywhere is really good fun. I'm a huge Sushi Village fan though, the food is reasonably priced IMO (keep in mind Australia makes Whistler look fairly cheap by comparison) and it's really, really good. If you're really keen to party:
Sunday - Longhorns
Monday - Tommy Africas
Tuesday - Maxx Fish
Wednesday - Buffalo Bills
Thursday - I forget. Maybe Moe Joes has something on?
Fri/Sat - anywhere

Honestly as long as you've got accommodation booked, you'd be hard pressed to not stumble into awesome times wherever you go in the village. The whole place is designed to suck the money out of tourists' pockets, but you'll have too much fun to care anyway :)

UncleHowie

Chimp
Feb 9, 2011
Switzerland
I'm so excited to go to whistler for a month on the 20. August :D I live in the Blackcomb Lodge with a friend.
Now an important question ;) How expensive is it to party in whistler ? (for example in Switzerland a beer costs around 6-8 $ and a drink 12-16 $ in a nightclub)

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
You really can't go wrong. Nowhere there is "cheap" for any of the above, but pretty well everywhere is really good fun. I'm a huge Sushi Village fan though, the food is reasonably priced IMO (keep in mind Australia makes Whistler look fairly cheap by comparison) and it's really, really good. If you're really keen to party:
Sunday - Longhorns
Monday - Tommy Africas
Tuesday - Maxx Fish
Wednesday - Buffalo Bills
Thursday - I forget. Maybe Moe Joes has something on?
Fri/Sat - anywhere

Honestly as long as you've got accommodation booked, you'd be hard pressed to not stumble into awesome times wherever you go in the village. The whole place is designed to suck the money out of tourists' pockets, but you'll have too much fun to care anyway :)
Yeah, I know everything is expensive up there. Thanks for the suggestions. :thumb:

Big J

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Chicago

Same here, our party will arrive on the 8th........I'm praying in the next week or so for temps well above 80F while the rain falls.

We're flying in to Seattle, stopping for beer before crossing the boarder since we're allowed a 24pk per person.

J

Last edited: