Quantcast

Whistler trips

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
We have decided on dates for our Whistler, Squamish, and North Shore trip. We are shooting for July 6-15 and Aug 17-26. Post your dates. Is Garbonzo usually open by July 1?

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Or living in staff. :D...

Garbonzo might be open then but to be honest, we have BOAT loads of snow still. Last year it opened mid June if I remember right, so july 1st is a good timeframe :)

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
Think I'll be heading there late July. Will also be heading up the Fraser Valley (Woodlot, Bear Mtn), as well as hitting up the Okanagan ('Loops, Vernon) a bit.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
Roasted said:

Garbonzo might be open then but to be honest, we have BOAT loads of snow still. Last year it opened mid June if I remember right, so july 1st is a good timeframe :)
mmmmm, knee deep freshies all day saturday! man that was a sweet day....up there at 8:30am didn't get to the village till 5pm after a late afternoon flute run.....

Tarpon

Monkey
Jun 23, 2004
North Bend, WA
Roasted said:

Hopefully they will wait until it's dry enough this year before they open it. Last year it was too wet at the opening and took a beating. Plus, some of the stuff up there is scary as hell when its that wet and greasy.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
la_cleta said:
do you know which airline has the cheapest fare for carrying bikes?
you gotta check the combined rates for ticket price and bike. one airline may have a better bike rate, but a higher ticket price. it sux, but it is not too much extra work. i've been lucky enough to get through without paying a few times :) just be sure of the box size and weight limits. i went up last year and nobody said a thing about the box weight, then on the way back, they hit me for going over the weight limit.

as for going, i am still on the fence. i may hit it up for the week after crankworx. i wanna wait till my frame situation is worked out first. i am going to get a new transition bottle rocket, once it comes out. that should be in about 3 months. i don't want to make plans and reservations until the frame is in my hands and built up. i only have a hardtail now, and as much as i love it, i am not riding it for a week in whistler with my old-man joints.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Tarpon said:
Hopefully they will wait until it's dry enough this year before they open it. Last year it was too wet at the opening and took a beating. Plus, some of the stuff up there is scary as hell when its that wet and greasy.
Part of the garbonzo experience is real bc riding. Thats wet. They will only keep it closed when it is drenched (during rains) but will likely have it open if its a little slick, thats part of the appeal. I just hope they hire more staff for trail maintenance. Not for the trails, so I don't have to listen to people whining about braking bumps haha

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
PoserNewbie said:
Ha..ha...obviously you know. It just seems like many folks are staying too long in Whistler. Since you already paid for the coast-to-coast flight, why not explore the other areas in BC.
Most people fly so they dont have a car.....

Im only 10hrs away. We hit Whistler 4 days, Squamish 1 day, and the North Shore 4 days. This year we want to ride Pemberton or local Whistler trails too. We need a guide for Gargamel. Wanna show us?

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Gargamel is a blast. PM me, I might be able to figure out a shuttle if my bud is gonna be up around those times. If not I can pm you clear directions to get there, it is a very worthy ride. A year later I still have dreams about it.

Tarpon

Monkey
Jun 23, 2004
North Bend, WA
Roasted said:
Part of the garbonzo experience is real bc riding. Thats wet. They will only keep it closed when it is drenched (during rains) but will likely have it open if its a little slick, thats part of the appeal. I just hope they hire more staff for trail maintenance. Not for the trails, so I don't have to listen to people whining about braking bumps haha
Being 'a little slick' is not a problem. I'm talking about the slip'n-slide condition it was in on opening day last year. They managed to do a lot of armoring and woodwork to help keep the trails intact but there is much more left to do.

PoserNewbie

Monkey
Feb 14, 2003
Lower Mainland, BC
Kanter said:
Most people fly so they dont have a car.....

Im only 10hrs away. We hit Whistler 4 days, Squamish 1 day, and the North Shore 4 days. This year we want to ride Pemberton or local Whistler trails too. We need a guide for Gargamel. Wanna show us?
I have not ridden Gargamel yet so I can't really help you there. The road going up is rough and you need a 4x4 to get up there (unless you climb up).

However, if you need someone to show you the good stuff on the shore, I'll be glad to show you around. Just PM me.

PoserNewbie

Monkey
Feb 14, 2003
Lower Mainland, BC
Roasted said:
Part of the garbonzo experience is real bc riding. Thats wet.
Yes and no. Yes, riding in BC is 60% wet but Garbanzo in the wet is another story. Some sections of original sin had mud 6-7" deep last year and it was not fun. Oh yeah, not to mention that whistler mud is pretty nasty on your bike.

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
Edinburgh
mandown said:
do you mean that you will have two forks on your bike?

or will you be riding drunk?
glad to see your doing your part keeping petty pedantry alive on ridemonkey.

I was there for garbo opening lsat year, admittedly it was wrecking the trail but i love those conditions, shame i didn't bring the swampys.

As for gargamel , its marked on the trail maps, we rode it last year with no guide, its pretty simple to get to, the push is a bitch though.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
PoserNewbie said:
I have not ridden Gargamel yet so I can't really help you there. The road going up is rough and you need a 4x4 to get up there (unless you climb up).

However, if you need someone to show you the good stuff on the shore, I'll be glad to show you around. Just PM me.
Not just a 4x4, a TALL 4x4. The water runnoffs are nuts. We had a huge truck and still had to maneuver some of them angled.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
360 said:
glad to see your doing your part keeping petty pedantry alive on ridemonkey.

I was there for garbo opening lsat year, admittedly it was wrecking the trail but i love those conditions, shame i didn't bring the swampys.

As for gargamel , its marked on the trail maps, we rode it last year with no guide, its pretty simple to get to, the push is a bitch though.

What is the push you are talking about? I thought you could shuttle it.