Quantcast

Whistler tyres

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Off to Whistler for 3 weeks on 24th June, and thinking about my tyre choice.

When I was out there in 2004 I'd just bought my DHi 2nd hand and it had come with 24" doublewides and gazza 2.6 tyres. I remember thinking a few times that this wasn't such a bad choice since my wheels were taking a beating on some of the rockier trails.

Fast forward 2 years and I now have much more suitable (for the UK) 26" mavic tubeless. TBH I'm a little worried that they might not stand up to the abuse they'll get over those 3 weeks...

As such I'd like to put comp 32s front and back. They're my favourite tyre in rocky stuff, a nice big volume, and as an added benefit I swear they roll faster than 16s/24s, despite being much bigger?

Here's the embarrassing bit: I'm not sure if a 32 will fit on the back of my DHi - anyone here tried it? If not what are my tubeless options, should I just go with a 2.5" comp 24, or is there something that'll match my comp32 up front better?

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
don't know?

but i can't see you on 32's. lol

I love the 32's and i bet they would be good on the hardpack
blue groove the whistler trails take

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Nah I normally run 32s when I go to The Alps - I just hope they'll be tough enough for whistler, I don't want to have to rebuild any wheels while I'm out there!

"hardpack blue groove" - explain?

cheers!

A 32 front 2.5 24 rear combo always did me well in the dry rocky stuff (Not whistler, but i'm sure if you've been to France you've ridden Avoriaz?)

Twin 32s seems a bit much. I think they make the bike feel sluggish and a bit boring. Sure you can plough through rocks easier, but i never had a problem with a 24. Just ride with a little more finese ;)

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
- seb said:
"hardpack blue groove" - explain?

cheers!
originally it came from flat track moto racers.
they lay so much rubber off there tires the dirt gets blueish.

its just a term that you use when somthing is ridden so
much it has a rubber in the dirt.

I.E. whistler has so many rider it has a blue groove in it.

Fury

Monkey
Oct 9, 2002
Toronto, Canada
A Comp32 front and Comp24 (2.5") rear would be a nice combo for the Garbonzo expansion. Down below you really don't need anything beyond a 2.5" but you could still run a Comp32 up front.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Fury said:
A Comp32 front and Comp24 (2.5") rear would be a nice combo for the Garbonzo expansion. Down below you really don't need anything beyond a 2.5" but you could still run a Comp32 up front.

That is what I ran last year at Whistler. I had them on a set of 823's tubeless, no sealent. I got one flat which was about a 1/2-5/8" in the thread face. I must have rode 1/2 of A-line before I had to get of and walk. I was two lasy to try to ride back to the condo to get another tire and try and find an air compressor so I stuck some duck tape and a light weight cross country tube in the 24 and rode the rest of the trip that way.

The 823's are still perfectly straight.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
It really doesn't matter what tires you run at whistler. 60d tires are nice for the jumps because they're faster but softies work too. Other than mud, traction isn't an issue.

But that said, bring your favorite mud tire in case it rains a bunch and you want to ride up top.

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
Edinburgh
just run whatever seb, your not racing!

(you got the 05 823s like me yeah?)

first day today and it was pretty good considering the snow.

i thought you came earlier than the 24th? i start work on the 20th :help:

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Nah, 24th for 3 weeks. I know I'm not racing but I want something that'll make my 823s last for 3 weeks of abuse! ;)