Quantcast

white brothers dh forks?

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
Ok, I'm thought I was going to be getting a shiver, I thougth I had my mind made up... then someone had to go and suggest maybe somthing else, like a white brothers... Danget! What do you guys think of white brothers forks? I most likly wouldnt' bother for the 2.0, there are just too many things there to adjust, and I like a more simple fork. Although it most likly would ride nicer after set up properly, I think the 1.8 would be a better choice. But reliablility? ride quality? what are they like? are they pretty decent? or do they suck? I've heard they are ok, but i've also heard that the older ones suck, and that the new ones were a ton better... But i've never ridden one, and have never met anyone other than lance canfield that rides one. I guess he's been doing pretty well on his, so they must be alright. what do you guys think?

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
People will argue that the shiver is more effiecient and it might be, because if you know what you're doing you can rebuild it at home; but then again you can rebuild a 1.8 at home too if you know what you're doing. The WB is more user friendly for sure, sepecially the '05. The fork uses a spring in the left leg, and has an air preload feature, with a shock pump you can adjust the spring rate. So you can go from wont bottom when nosed off of a 10' drop to flat with a 210lbs rider (from experience) then you let some air out and you have yourself an unbelievably plush race fork. With the WB unlike the shiver I had 2 years ago, each adjustment does something. There is a screw for rebound at top and one for compression at the bottom. Each 1/4 turn you could feel a definate difference, something my shiver took a few turns to do. The feel of my 2.0 is near that of an avalanche, it is just plain buttery smooth. Another good thing about the new 2.0 an 1.8 is EVERYTHING is sealed up. The entire springstack was re-designed for this year. My '04 had the traditional spring stack throughout the whole left leg. The new '05 has the entire spring stack sealed off by o-rings and grease seals in the stanchion, just like the damper is. I had no problems at all with dust or dirt getting in on the inside last year, and this new fork will ensure that it will be near impossible to get your springstack dirty. The '05 also has longer stanchions than my '04 did. There is 8.5" of overlap, which means my '05 2.0 tied a friends 888 in the put it between your legs and twist test. The fork in all is super stiff 4 bushings per leg, the 8.5" of stanchion overlap, as well as the knurled legs at contact areas with the crowns make it probably the stiffest inverted fork out there. It is also a bit over a pound lighter than a shiver (7.75lbs) but it stiffer and stronger. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. The 2.0 is not much more difficult to use than the 1.8 each adjuster does its own thing, making it very easy to tune. Im sure Lance will chime in on here as well. Since you're getting an F1 ask Chris what he recommends for a fork.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Curb Hucker said:
The WB is more user friendly for sure, sepecially the '05. With a shock pump you can adjust the spring rate. ............ Each 1/4 turn you could feel a definate difference, something my shiver took a few turns to do. ............Another good thing about the new 2.0 an 1.8 is EVERYTHING is sealed up. .
well first off, air springs are not what i consider to be 'user-friendly'. My Shiver is set up with one coil leg and one air spring leg. Adjusting the air spring to achieve proper sag with desired bottom-out is not fool proof. Single chamber air forks unlike springs always have preload; this is why proper air forks come with negative air chambers. A single chamber air fork requires a volume adjustment (ie. oil height) to control progression, otherwise you may end up with too much preload for a proper bottom-out, or not enough bottom-out with the proper preload. Air chambers do provide a much wider tuning range, but user-friendly vs. proper performance they are not.

1/4 turn vs. few turns...oh wow golly gee. Of course you could argue the Shiver offers a finer tuning range that you cant appreciate.

And believe it or not, on the Shiver EVERYTHING is sealed up...it just requires less seals to do so being open bath and not a closed circuit type damper.

The Shiver is a simple fork, easiest to work on....if you even have to.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
zedro said:
well first off, air springs are not what i consider to be 'user-friendly'.

It's actually not an air spring. It's more like the pressurized chamber on a DHX. You can increase the ramp at the very end by increasing pressure but it still relies on a spring and spacers for proper sag. It's more of a bottom out thing, I could never tell the difference at the top end of the stroke with different pressures.

But I'd agree that the shiver is a little easier to work on. I could get things done on my WB forks pretty quickly but that was just from experience. The first few times took a while.

You can get to all the damper bits on a WB if you need to though. I guess that might be a good thing. Although I've never killed a zoke cartridge or needed to change anything in there.

Mustang85

Monkey
Aug 4, 2004
Encinitas, its near San Diego
i have to agree with curb hucker and only have good things to say about my wb fork as well. I have spent alot of time on both forks, over a year on a shiver and about 6 months on my dh 2.0. If you ride uphill at all the weight makes a big difference and it makes the bike more "whipable" in the air. I'd have to say the WB is great for the fast race type stuff and is very huckable. The bottom out air chamber in the right leg is very cool, as kidwoo stated it doesnt relly affect the top portion of the travel but ramps up quickly at the end.

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
east of Seattle
I don't know crap about the 2.0. But I have an 05 that was supposed to arraive today but didn't, hopefully tomorrow. If you want to try it out you are more then welcome. I'm in seattle as well.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
66 said:
I don't know crap about the 2.0. But I have an 05 that was supposed to arraive today but didn't, hopefully tomorrow. If you want to try it out you are more then welcome. I'm in seattle as well.
Nice man, you're gonna love the fork. You're also one of the first few to get an 05 already, me being the first :D

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
east of Seattle
Curb Hucker said:
Nice man, you're gonna love the fork. You're also one of the first few to get an 05 already, me being the first :D
thanks for the words of encouragement. From what I have read about the WB fork (mostly from you) it's what i'm looking for. After I know how it rides I will give my 2 cents.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Yeah so I've never riden a WB 2.0, but I've been riding with Mustang85 and he has that thing set up sooo soft it's crazy, but even over rough rockgardens and medium drops it doesn't bottom out. I have a new found respect for the air spring leg thing. In a way it's kinda like the 5th element of forks. Sorta :rolleyes:

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
east of Seattle
by the way, CH, would you give me a cheater setup until i know what the fork can do for me? I don't enjoy finding the sweet spot, i just want the goods.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
66 said:
by the way, CH, would you give me a cheater setup until i know what the fork can do for me? I don't enjoy finding the sweet spot, i just want the goods.
sure man, when ya get the thing PM me and I'll be able to give you a quick setup for what you want. From there you can learn to tweak and fine tune it on your own. Flymybike is Lance Canfield on here, and he's always there to answer questions about it.

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
east of Seattle
Curb Hucker said:
sure man, when ya get the thing PM me and I'll be able to give you a quick setup for what you want. From there you can learn to tweak and fine tune it on your own. Flymybike is Lance Canfield on here, and he's always there to answer questions about it.
Thanks, I will.