Quantcast

White Wine Recommendations for MizN8

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
MizN8 loves dark red wines like merlot, but over the last couple years something in them is her have an allergic reaction.

So she is switching to whites. The problem is that we never have had much occation to drink white wines. What are some good ones?

She isn't into sweet wines... think merlot here.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Try the Di Lenardo chardonay (Italy). Everything that's good about a chard without the over-the-top oakiness present in most of what's coming out of CA.

I know you said no sweet wines, but try pairing a good reisling (Albert Mann, Alsace is one of my favorites) with something spicy. :drool:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
merlot...so she likes full-fruit wines?

bikegeek's recommendation on alsatian reislings isn't bad, but make sure you get "Trocken" for dry. or is it "kabinett"? i forget.

the villages (macon, etc) are a good bet too, or a chablis. french white burgundy (aka chardonnay) is more mineral than the oaky, sometimes cloyingly sweet offerings from Cali or Oz.

if you want to splurge, get the Cakebread or Cloudy Bay chardonnay...my favorite white wines.

i think sav blanc will be too lean for yr wife, based on the 'merlot' description, but they are cheap enough to try out anyway.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
N8 said:
MizN8 loves dark red wines like merlot, but over the last couple years something in them is her have an allergic reaction.

So she is switching to whites. The problem is that we never have had much occation to drink white wines. What are some good ones?

She isn't into sweet wines... think merlot here.
There's a couple of good ideas in this thread. My suggestion would be to go to a local liqour / wine merchant where there is a "wine expert" on staff that you can ask about this. I have found that the people at the wine stores that are knowledgeable, are more than happy to take time to answer questions and offer suggestions based on your preferences.

Bottom line, though, is she will have to try different whites and decide what she likes best. Lots of good wine out there. :drool:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
N8 said:
The problem is that we never have had much occasion to drink white wines. What are some good ones?
hhmm....most white wines are pretty easy to match, food-wise. c'mon, you must eat oysters down in LA, right? the classic match is a nice crisp Sancerre (sav blanc).

or Guinness, but that's another story.

my wife is not big on whites, so i rarely have any on hand, aside from some cheapo stuff i cook w/ . so i typically grab a bottle of chardonnay (edna valley is nice) or sav blanc (like SS said, there's plenty of great NZ ones) for myself for when i make some roasted halibut or pan-seared scallops.

another good white to check out is Viognier. it's making a sort of a comeback so shouldn't be all that hard to find. it's got a peachiness or apricot-type flavor to it.

here's an OK place for some ideas:

http://wine.about.com/od/whitewines/

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
If there are any wine bars in your area, or restaurants/bars with decent wine programs, you should be able to taste a bunch of different wines in one sitting. That is the best way to get a feel for personal preference, style-wise, and you can get some specific names that way too.

The key for me (and many others) with whites is the relative level of sweetness v. acidity. Although it can depend on food pairing, I ordinarily stay away from sweet wines and prefer the more lean, crisp whites. Like others have said, I am also not a big fan of the oaky, buttery chardonnays that are very popular. For that reason I generally stay away from chard and prefer sauvignon blanc, pinot blanc, some of the dry muscadets, pinot grigio, etc.

I completely agree that you should look for New Zealand sauv blancs, they are some of my favorites, especially those from Marlborough and Cloudy Bay. Names like Giesen and Villa Maria spring to mind but there is a ton out there. The Sancerre's are fantastic but like all french wine they are pricey. There are some less expensive whites coming from the Quincy region of France that are delicious too. Also, Narlus is correct that french chard is typically less oaky and buttery than the Cali stuff and thus way better IMO. I've had some amazing french chard but again price can be an issue.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
OGRipper said:
If there are any wine bars in your area, or restaurants/bars with decent wine programs, you should be able to taste a bunch of different wines in one sitting. That is the best way to get a feel for personal preference, style-wise, and you can get some specific names that way too..

:p!

Remember guys, I live in Crapsville, LA... we only got a Target store here 3 years ago and we do not have Costco at all nor plans for one for that matter... :(

But we do have a good wine store.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I wish I knew more about wine. Considering I live with someone who serves awesome wine for a living, and that I live in wine country.

Sorry N8, I'm ignorant of the treasure that surrounds me.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
narlus said:
in shreveport? maybe they have either sutter home or gallo available.
Or...what is the name of that boxed wine....

Franzia!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
narlus said:
in shreveport? maybe they have either sutter home or gallo available.

What, you don't all have wine bars and great restaurants within a mile or two? :rolleyes: Yeah ok good point, I forget that I am blessed in this area. N8, have a party and instead of getting a case of the same stuff, get one each of a bunch of different stuff. Then pay attention when you try each one, and write down the ones you like. There is no substitute for trying different wines side by side to get a feel for what you like but um yeah it might be hard where you are. The wine store you mentioned might do tastings, maybe you can suggest a white wine session...

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
SkaredShtles said:
Just drink, man. There's nothing to know. Just drink. :D
We are practically stumbling distance to some really great wineries. (Central Sonoma county) We could get sloshed every day just off the free tastings. :D

Napa is only 20 minutes away too.

Good thing I'm a coffee drinker.
:think:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
H8R said:
We are practically stumbling distance to some really great wineries. (Central Sonoma county) We could get sloshed every day just off the free tastings. :D

Napa is only 20 minutes away too.

Good thing I'm a coffee drinker.
:think:
None of this matters if you don't drink it. Drink it, man. Just drink it.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
narlus said:
merlot...so she likes full-fruit wines?

bikegeek's recommendation on alsatian reislings isn't bad, but make sure you get "Trocken" for dry. or is it "kabinett"? i forget.
not sure what it translates to, but it is the opposite of "spatelasse" ( i am sure that is spelled wrong. YOU LOOK IT UP!) which means late harvest...ie:sweeter.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
TN said:
not sure what it translates to, but it is the opposite of "spatelasse" ( i am sure that is spelled wrong. YOU LOOK IT UP!) which means late harvest...ie:sweeter.
good info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_wine_classification

Spätlese *is* late harvest, but still the wine can be dry and not sweet. i don't really know much about german wines, but i like to buy stuff from Dr. Loosen because it's a cool name. :D

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
My Aunt always brings us bottles of Rheinheissen Gewurtstraminer Eiswien, when she comes to visit from Germany. That stuff is the bomb. Perfect with the Streusswaffles she brings too.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
narlus said:
my wife is not big on whites, so i rarely have any on hand, aside from some cheapo stuff i cook w/ .
Gallo Dry Vemouth. 3 bucks a bottle, you open it and it doesn't go bad. Don't have to refrigerate it. I don't even bother with white wine for cooking.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Another white wine varietial to look out for is Pinot Gris, it's becoming very popular down here in NZ. It's looking like it might be challenging Sav Blanc for the top slot in NZ white's in a few years. :)

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
narlus said:
N8 was not looking for sweet wines, and though i've not had many, all of the gewurz i've had tended to be sweet.
Borderline dessert wine.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
SkaredShtles said:
Try a New Zealand Sauv Blanc. If she likes, you can hardly go wrong with more NZ stuff. Good values.
I am all about New Zealand Sauv Blancs, the only better value is South African Sauv Blancs,,,,tasty stuff

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
narlus said:
N8 was not looking for sweet wines, and though i've not had many, all of the gewurz i've had tended to be sweet.
I dont listen to N8, you should know that by now. :p

I have had dry gewurz before....there is one from Oregeon, i cant remember the name, but it was all fruit & spice.