Quantcast

Whiteface Mountain Bike Park suggestions thread

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Is there anything we could do to make Whiteface better?

Plans now are for:

* Intermediate trail from the summit.
* Pump track
* a-line type dirt jumps
* Guided tours from the true summit offering 3,800 feet of vert
* A national race and hopefully a World Cup event (in the summer)
* Dirt camps for kids.
* Running the Facelift quad along with the gondola
* More trails from the summit (intermediate)
* A pretty girl to sell lift tickets
* Free daily guided tours
* Truck in a ton of quality dirt for more berms.
* More bike and stay packages.
* New trails marked with a "NS" for new school and old trails marked with "OS" for old school.
* Get rid of the numbers and just have the trails with a simple color. Example Blue (upper blue, middle blue or lower blue) could describe the entire blue trail that used to be 26 to 27 to 3 to 14, etc.

* In the next 5 years these things should all be done. Patience is key here.

Your feedback is appreciated as we continue to strive for perfection and accommodate all bikers.

DHM

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
i havent gotten there yet but i will be next year. if there is an A line trail. that will bring alot of people there. including myself. its something the east coast is missing!!

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
i havent gotten there yet but i will be next year. if there is an A line trail. that will bring alot of people there. including myself. its something the east coast is missing!!
* An A-line trail may be 2 seasons away but we def. will do this.
We are looking for a spot that's not on a ski trail where we can add 5 to 10 table tops each year.

* As soon as Whiteface finishes the ski trail expansion project for the winter of 2008/2009 the pace will pick up on the biking improvements. This is a major project costing millions of dollars consisting of a new lift and new ski trails.

* We have been getting so many more riders each year, so with 2 more seasons of increased numbers, we are expecting big things in the next few years.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
A-line is key. N* just built Livewire, and that trail attracts a lot of people. There are consistently 10 people on it, which is much more than a lot of other trails there.

EM-EFER

Monkey
May 29, 2007
More trails. There are only a few trails at the top of the mountain and utilizing the terrain around the mountain to make some booters with smooth transitions is key..

Erci

Chimp
Sep 10, 2001
NJ
I rode Whiteface for a day and the #1 thing I wished for was more trail choices from the top.. something a bit more flowy.
I felt like I was doing race training the whole time. Would be nice to have a relaxing/fun option :)
Running a quad would be another awesome improvement!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
2 things:
Attend the Gravity Logic Camp Sept. 18-21 so you don't stab yourself in the foot right off the bat and do things right the first time

Move it to Asheville, NC and/or offer an airfare/lift/hotel package for $250 for a weekend and I'll be there.

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
more trails that are well marked and runs from the true summit would make whiteface very unique on the low vert east coast.

unfortunately, i wasn't able to make it up there this year... but i did spend 2 weeks in BC this year... :brows:

might i suggest that the folks at whiteface take a trip to bromont to check out the build quality of the trails there? i know they have A LOT more man power put into their trails but it is amazing what they have done with a limited amount of vert. i hope whiteface can do the same in the future with access to a LOT MORE vert.

while having A-line trails would be great, i honestly got tired of riding A-Line at Whistler and was craving more deep woods technical alpine that I rode a bunch of around BC. i hope you guys will be given access to build more trails to make it THE HIGH VERT (Whistler) mountain on the east coast (but there is a long way to go to achieve that attainable status).

good luck and i look forward to hitting up the mountain again soon.

DownhillR3

Monkey
May 31, 2007
Well I can't suggest anything since I have not been there yet this season... but the idea of a WorldCup, that would be sick if it could happen.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Mike, as you said:

1. More trail options from the top of the lift.

2. Move it closer to Albany so I can actually come up more often (PS, I'll be there 10-2 Tuesday)!

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Mike-

Definitely follow Butch's advice if possible, and attend the camp that Whistler puts on every year. Those guys know their stuff, and they're more than happy to spread the knowledge.

That being said, I think you are on to some great ideas. I'd put off opening the other lift for now, and just focus on opening up more trails and improving the terrain of what the gondola serves already.

One thing that would really help that you didn't mention would be to print some trail maps that riders can take with them, or post a ton more (that aren't bleached out by the sun) all over the mountain. It's such a huge place that it's pretty easy to get lost.

Finally, is there any way the gondola can stay open later in the day? We were bummed that it closed so early when we were there a couple weeks ago.

Keep up the good work!!! I was incredibly impressed with what you guys have done so far; out of the 5 mountains we rode on our road trip, White Face was BY FAR the burliest of them all.

--JP