Quantcast

Whiteface pump track 6-9-08 update

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
The outer loop is now done. Hmmmm. What to do with the middle line options? This will be fun.

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
This is a totally legit legal place? Good find! Great looking track.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Whiteface Mountain Bike Park will be making major improvements each year to the already great, big mountain riding that we have to offer.
Funny thing is that letting folks know that Lake Placid is a summer resort town full of activities for all, and is not a ski town that goes to sleep in the summer, has been a challenge. After the last couple Decline articles and successful seasons I think most downhillers have been catching on to the riding we have to offer.

BTW, the pump track is located 1/4 of the way to the summit of Little Whiteface. We will have special passes for just pump track and transport. However, if you want to ride down to the pump track from the summit, just a nice little 15 + minute full on dh run to the pump track. If need be we can always bring your hard tail to the pump track for you so you can ride your big bike to the pump track.
Video coming early next week.

Last edited:

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
Beauty, just what I needed to see! That set of berms looks dreamy..

I just had a digger over yesterday at our new jump park and we will have some fat berms and sertainly do some parts pump stuff as well. Nice to see how you've shaped the berms and I notice that you've used gravel/big stones. Are those for better support or to save dirt? And could you describe what kind of dirt you're using, looks more sandish than clayish, no?

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
We had a custom mix for the layer you see that packs well, with some sand. We plan on adding 1 more layer of a higher quality for a top layer on the outer loop you see and the inner loop that will be done soon.
The pump track will be ready to ride on opening weekend starting on 6-20-08.

Oh, the rocks are for support and they will also make it look killer when completed.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
We had a custom mix for the layer you see that packs well, with some sand. We plan on adding 1 more layer of a higher quality for a top layer on the outer loop you see and the inner loop that will be done soon.
The pump track will be ready to ride on opening weekend starting on 6-20-08.

Oh, the rocks are for support and they will also make it look killer when completed.
Ooh, you're styling it? Being a holiday resort I guess you can afford the extra work. Sick!

That extra layer, will it be clay then to pack up nice and hard?

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
We operate the bike park as a private business. Whiteface Mountain (used in for the 1980 Winter Olympics) is owned and operated by the State of N.Y.
Being a major resort that allows us to operate a bike park we must adhere to very high standards, and for very good reasons. This is Whiteface and all. State owned, 5 million dollar gondola, Lake Placid, etc,etc.
Basically 2 downhillers developing a bike park, trying to unleash Whiteface's true potential and just getting the word out about some killer downhill in the Adirondacks.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
Yeah that sounds pretty obviuos. Nice to see that it's state owned, my experiance is that they're many times easier to deal with than private owners. Good luck with that and I'm looking forward for the video!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Hey Mike..you're gonna need a roller between those two berms if you want to carry any momentum. There should be one at the exit of each or you'll lose all speed FYI. That's per Wentz's trade secret.