Quantcast

Whitetail- Capital Cup Usdate

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
First off- NO RAIN, Second both the DS & DH courses are excellent. No complaints from riders.

Lars won Pro DS, Andy Rodreguiz won Open Ex DS, Andrew Farris won sport/beg DES and Hilary Elgert won Pro Women.

On site food was good, cheap, and plentiful.

Was not there for 1st days DH results

Whitetail is a terrific venue!!!

This is a 3 day event with 1 more dh race to be run

for more info about sunday's schedule go to racersedgeonline.com

MikeT

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
Hell
no rain? umm it rained the night before, and today in the morning. Anyway, no offense to Mike Hartlove, or the Racer's Edge crew, but that DS course was pretty lame. They have done better jobs before at places like Wisp. But still, big thanks to Mike Hartlove and the Racer's Edge for organizing these venues!

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
MikeT said:
no rain? umm it rained the night before, and today in the morning. Anyway, no offense to Mike Hartlove, or the Racer's Edge crew, but that DS course was pretty lame. They have done better jobs before at places like Wisp. But still, big thanks to Mike Hartlove and the Racer's Edge for organizing these venues!

There was no rain today that I saw, but there could have been in the early morning hours and yes their was some last nite The ds was damp during qualifing but dried out quite nicely before the races.

As for the "lameness of the ds" I spoke to 20+ riders, and all seemed to like it. Of course you are entitled to your opinon, As I am expressing mine.

FyI the wisp course sayed up for 2 -3 years with occasional changes
and had been ridden on a somewhat regular basis each of those summers. It was not the product of a shortterm build. The course at whitetail was built by Mike and crew 2 weeks ago as whitetail presently is not a regular riding venue It will not be ridden after the event ( Unless Whitetail decides to open more dates).

MikeT

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
Hell
Msisle Dad said:
There was no rain today that I saw, but there could have been in the early morning hours and yes their was some last nite The ds was damp during qualifing but dried out quite nicely before the races.

As for the "lameness of the ds" I spoke to 20+ riders, and all seemed to like it. Of course you are entitled to your opinon, As I am expressing mine.

FyI the wisp course sayed up for 2 -3 years with occasional changes
and had been ridden on a somewhat regular basis each of those summers. It was not the product of a shortterm build. The course at whitetail was built by Mike and crew 2 weeks ago as whitetail presently is not a regular riding venue It will not be ridden after the event ( Unless Whitetail decides to open more dates).
well lets see, you start at the gate in a grassy area -> the first 1/3rd of the course is ski-type slalom between flags, with flat turns, on GRASS, then the track combines. Then theres a berm, a whoop section, a berm, a double, a berm, another double in there somewhere, and DONE.

I don't really see how thats a well put togather DS course - no step up/step down, no tables. There is no variety. It looks like they just put something togather really quickly without thinking through. Again no offense to Mike Hartlove and the Racer's Edge crew, because they DO put up venues, and we all really REALLY appreciate that.

Like you said, this is just MY opinion :)

-MV

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
The wisp course was built as a MTX course first, then run as a uci dual, hence the the tables, steps and triples. Most of the course remained intact for the past 3 or so years with Mods only in the last 3rd of the course.

Most duals are are meant to be compatible for a broad range of racers vs MTX. Promoters use DS to open up an event to gated racers who dont not care to go bar to bar.

Take SeaOtter for example. The course has only been modfied slightly over the past 5 years, and it is a great course. It includes Gates thru a grassy section (some off camber) rolling into the 1st berm, then a small rollable or jumpable double into the 2nd berm exiting into another rollable small double, thru 2 gates on grass over a water bar,again rollable or jumpable, then a 2-3 gate sprint to the finish.. There was a big table 2 years ago, and a big step 3 years ago just before the finish. Somewhat simular to Whitetail.

I'm not trying to best you, Just explaing my position

MikeT

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
Hell
i still dont see how the whitetail course is comparible to the description of the sea otter course you gave-I even watched a sea otter video i happend to have. The snowshoe course had more variety, so did the ETSU course, so did almost any course i have been on or seen on videos. The whitetail course was just plain, built on the slope, there was not much to it. Lips and landings on the slope, and thats about it.

ntron350

Chimp
Mar 22, 2004
murland
or better yet build your own course and throw your own outlaw races. if you were around for the pits series you would know what i am talking about. no bike inspection, plenty of prizes, plenty of beer and plenty of carnage. not to mention a super tight difficult course built by 4 dudes. make it happen. people couldnt hang w/ the lack of rules and controlled chaos. a naked guy won the XC race for corn sakes. dude is looking for a reason to fire up another pits series, so i could hook you up w/ the guy.

goofy

Monkey
Mar 20, 2004
olney md.
All I'm going to say is good job to racersedge/reading racing and all the volunteers that got that event going.

And to all of the people that went to SS atleast we got to race(we may have paid more but we got to race)

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
MikeT said:
i still dont see how the whitetail course is comparible to the description of the sea otter course you gave-I even watched a sea otter video i happend to have. The snowshoe course had more variety, so did the ETSU course, so did almost any course i have been on or seen on videos. The whitetail course was just plain, built on the slope, there was not much to it. Lips and landings on the slope, and thats about it.

No disrespect but my son has raced seaotter for the past 5 years It is a lot closer to Whitetail than you think. The only real difference was the depth of S/O 's 2 berms, and the big step up (03 course ) none 05 or 06 (06 was so muddy you couldnt climb it if you wanted to :)

Haven't been to ETSU but I would like to check it out.

Also The snowshoe course was built as fullseason mtx track not a 1 event DS. The first course (hartlove built) was the best Mtx course we have everseen. That was 26"supercross!

Best Regards
Charles

MikeT

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
Hell
Msisle Dad said:
No disrespect but my son has raced seaotter for the past 5 years It is a lot closer to Whitetail than you think. The only real difference was the depth of S/O 's 2 berms, and the big step up (03 course ) none 05 or 06 (06 was so muddy you couldnt climb it if you wanted to :)

Haven't been to ETSU but I would like to check it out.

Also The snowshoe course was built as fullseason mtx track not a 1 event DS. The first course (hartlove built) was the best Mtx course we have everseen. That was 26"supercross!

Best Regards
Charles
Oh your saying the reasoning is '1 time event DS course', I can understand that

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
not a chance, we had a blast in the mud and rain. honestly, whitetail mud doesn't have a speck of clay in it, so it really wasn't that slick. there were a handful of 30 min lift delays because of thunder, but that's all.

i had a great time riding and racing, only somewhat overshadowed by race promoter incompetance. this is deserving of it's own thread, so i won't get into it much here.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
MikeT said:
hey guy, thanks for the useless comment. I'll put you on my ignore list now, ba-bye
it was a dual slalom course not a MTX course.......there's a big difference.......

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Great weekend until the monsoon hit.......i like riding in the rain but it got to be a bit much.....i cut out early when everything i owned including the GF was completely saturated......

Both DH courses were excellent......i prefered the Sunday old school course but the Saturday course showed they put alot of time into the preparation........thought they did a great job overall...

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
MikeT said:
Oh your saying the reasoning is '1 time event DS course', I can understand that

Well Yes and no. First , the other courses Wisp, and Snowshoe were developed as MTX coures not DS. Second ,Wisp & SS were developed for season long use and which allowed time for improvment.

The big difference was the fact that the courses will developed for MTX.

dairy_dude

Chimp
Nov 19, 2004
The practice runs were cool if slick on sunday but the race was crazy I went down 3 times and had to run 1 section because the grass was so slick I couldn't stop running. Still fun though.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Just a quick shout out to E.C. to say a big thanks for lending me your front brake yesterday at Whitetail.

Matt H

Monkey
Aug 8, 2005
Maryland (Baltimore area)
I was at Whitetail for sunday only...big thanks to the people working the race, the cold and rain really sucked for us riders but I'll bet it REALLY sucked for those guys! Too bad it was so wet because the course seemed like it would be a lot of fun in reasonable weather.

One complaint that perhaps Corey alleuded too but I won't put words in his mouth - way, WAY too long to post results and conduct the awards ceremony. Otherwise, great job and looking forward to more races, as this one was my first.

drt_jumper

Monkey
May 20, 2003
Manassas Va
Hey Farris what is this crap about you winning sport beginner? Thought you were moving to Xpert? Sandbagger!!!! LOL give me a call if you still have my number..later Adam

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
I took a few lame pics with my friend's camera, I'll try to get and post them asap.

I was really happy with the DH courses, even if they were too much for my bike I saw most people having an awesome time on them.

As far as DS was concerned, the course wasn't spectacular to look at, but man was it fun. The grass was super grippy and smashing through the bamboo at the top was cool.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Matt H said:
One complaint that perhaps Corey alleuded too but I won't put words in his mouth - way, WAY too long to post results and conduct the awards ceremony. Otherwise, great job and looking forward to more races, as this one was my first.
The bad:

Uhh, yeah the results were "late". My teamate finally got his award at 8pm after getting the 3 guys in his class to add up their own times. It sucked having to drive all night to get home and take a shower and go straight to work. What time did the podium awards happen?

The good:

A) The courses rocked. They were easy to ride slow. However to ride them at speed was difficult. I like these kind of courses since the race is won by the best rider rather than the guy who is willing to hang it out in one section.

B) The awards were great. I won a SDG seat in the prize throw.

C) The promoters are great guys and they somehow stayed calm during the various timing screw ups. They didn't yell at anyone even when people were in their face. Mike took care of my lack of a finish time very quickly.

D) The onsite food was very good and cheaper than McDonalds.

Suggestions for improvement:

1) Get a new timing guy (i think that's already the plan). Normally, I would cut these guys major slack after having promoted races myself but this timing guy was incompetant. Mike paid good money for this guy and he either didn't test his Excel formulas or didn't know what he was doing. They should have went to a calculator after an hour.

2) if there is going to be camping, showers would be nice. More than one toliet would be nice too.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
ChrisKring said:
2) if there is going to be camping, showers would be nice. More than one toliet would be nice too.
They used to have showers with a locker room but now that is the new first aid center.......did you ask around to see if they were moved.....?....i was going to follow up on this when i got word but never did......i'd be surprised if there weren't showers somewhere in the building and it could possibly be arranged to use them in the future...

....also wasn't there a rack of toilets back behind the registration area....?

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
I enjoyed watching Saturday's races and I really liked Sunday's course when I rode it on Saturday. Thanks to Racers Edge and Whitetail for putting together this race.

Too bad about the rain/flooding--I left Whitetail early--decided not to race in the torrential downpour because I'm not skilled enough/practiced enough/strong enough to handle the course in those conditions. I really did like the course though, when it was dry. Especially that boulder part.

Matt H

Monkey
Aug 8, 2005
Maryland (Baltimore area)
Chris - I got my results + medal around 5:30 because I rode Sunday only. As for the saturday and combined awards, couldn't tell ya. It was bad enough waiting 2 hours for the first ceremony.

Also, I completely agree on the Toilet.

One more thing - To the kid that was nice enough to give me the old brake pads off his Reign so I could run the race w/ front brakes, I really appreciate it!! If there's anything I can do for you and you're here, PM me, I owe you a favor.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Cant Climb said:
They used to have showers with a locker room but now that is the new first aid center.......did you ask around to see if they were moved.....?....i was going to follow up on this when i got word but never did......i'd be surprised if there weren't showers somewhere in the building and it could possibly be arranged to use them in the future...

....also wasn't there a rack of toilets back behind the registration area....?
Yes, we asked Mike and Mike about showers. They said whoever posted it on Ridemonkey about showers was not speaking for them and that if we had called them they would have told us that there were not any showers. Fair enough, we went and bought a solar shower and showered in the parking lot. I wasn't pissed about it or anything since it was our fault for not asking them. I just thought that it would be better to open up the showers (if they do actually exist) rather than having a bunch of people showering in the parking lot. I wore a swimsuit or my bike shorts. Other's wore nothing. :help:

The bathrooms by registration were closed. We didn't use them out of respect for the promoters. I know other people did but I didn't want to contribute to Whitetail not wanting anymore events. That said, one crapper is not enough. There are a line 10 guys deep on Sunday morning for it. To put it in perspective, it could have been worse (pkill)

Again, it was a great race. Hopefully, they will have more races there. The course was great.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
ChrisKring said:
Yes, we asked Mike and Mike about showers. They said whoever posted it on Ridemonkey about showers was not speaking for them and that if we had called them they would have told us that there were not any showers. Fair enough, we went and bought a solar shower and showered in the parking lot. I wasn't pissed about it or anything since it was our fault for not asking them. I just thought that it would be better to open up the showers (if they do actually exist) rather than having a bunch of people showering in the parking lot. I wore a swimsuit or my bike shorts. Other's wore nothing. :help:

it was me, i guess, that posted that there were "showers" to use a few months ago.......i know there were showers because i used them when i raced there in the late 90's-2000.....sorry if i misled you or anyone else.....there was a hose to clean with though, thats all you really need.....

Pi31412

Chimp
May 30, 2006
Speaking for myself, I heard it through someone else not you Can'tClimb.

That said, it would be nice if the internet and computers didn't seem so foreign to the MAC folks. I remember it took a few weeks (correct me if I'm wrong) to get the results up on a website for Massanutten, and did Racer's Edge ever post the final "in stone from the horse's mouth" details about Whitetail on their website? I know I checked it several times and didn't find anything leading up to the race.

They probably just need some more help on that front I suspect. I wouldn't mind volunteering if they needed it.

Pi31412

Chimp
May 30, 2006
I take that back.

Looks like their site has been updated a bit recently. Maybe I checked it out longer ago than I thought.

E.C.

Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
South Central Pa.
when I got up and saw the weather radar, everything was red and green, mostly red( looked like a big clump of republicans moving across the state) I thought , oh great this is gonna suck. that said it was absolutely the most fun I've ever had racing in the mud. It basicly poured all day everyone was soaked and stoked and it was one hell of alot of fun ...to all of the dudes that came out and raced and goofed off, thanks for a great time. as far as the other end of things, Corey got all up in that on another thread .The Racersedge and Reading racing put alot of hard work into this event, yeah the awards and scoring were f-ed up a bit to say the least but concidering the magnitude of what was accomplished by so few people , I for one can cut them some slack. I talked to Mike Hartlove today and yes he did sub out the scoring and feels awfull about how it went down. he is just tring to promote the sport that he loves, so if anyone out there can do a better job with scoring step up and give the Racersedge a shout.
Peace
E.C.

VADHPROMO

Monkey
Dec 1, 2004
A, A
:) We posted the results in many locations on the Internet as the Race Promotor

The Results posted on line Tuesday For Massanutten.

The results, timing, & Registration are a product of the
Massanutten Ski Office:)

" I remember it took a few weeks (correct me if I'm wrong) to get the results up on a website for Massanutten"

Mar 30, 2006
Crofton, MD
I posted some photos on me blog a right after the event. It's not at the top now, if you want to check 'em out. Good shots of some actual riding, too.

mike