Quantcast

Whitetail for Mtn Biking this year!?

Mar 30, 2006
Crofton, MD
Send an email to skiwhitetail@skiwhitetail.com and tell 'em you want to ride your bike there this summer. Tell them how often you'd ride and if you'd rent stuff from them (pads or bikes).

Please let your friends know and have them send emails as well. Post here once you've sent an email.

We've got some forward momentum on this issue and a bunch of emails over to Whitetail would help out.

Many thanks!

mike

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
Send an email to skiwhitetail@skiwhitetail.com and tell 'em you want to ride your bike there this summer. Tell them how often you'd ride and if you'd rent stuff from them (pads or bikes).

Please let your friends know and have them send emails as well. Post here once you've sent an email.

We've got some forward momentum on this issue and a bunch of emails over to Whitetail would help out.

I would even have MORE send a few.

PS

I just sent mine

Many thanks!

mike
Mike,

I would also post this in the DH forum...............
I know a lot fo dudes from Pa. that use to ride there and would ride there again. That place was awesome.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
If they open i'll be there as often as possible.........i could see alot of new people come into the sport also.....

With a few good trailbuilders the place could be one of the best in the east. Whitetail has the most diverse terrain i've ever seen.....the one side is perfect for flow and beginner trails the "far side" is classic east coast rocky......the middle has some of the most difficult trails i ever been on.....

Will send email this afternoon....

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
If they open i'll be there as often as possible.........i could see alot of new people come into the sport also.....

With a few good trailbuilders the place could be one of the best in the east. Whitetail has the most diverse terrain i've ever seen.....the one side is perfect for flow and beginner trails the "far side" is classic east coast rocky......the middle has some of the most difficult trails i ever been on.....

Will send email this afternoon....

Very well put Tom!

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
If they have a staff of 25-30 people like they had when they closed, it will fail again.......they just had way too much expense and overhead....

With the winters wev'e been having they got to do something........but they have to know what they are doing, with the right direction it could be a solid DH mountain.

Mar 30, 2006
Crofton, MD
Are you asking about why they had so many people working there in the past? I dunno.

By the way, they have gotten enough email that they have created a 'canned' response that they have been sending out.

Keep those emails flowing! Thanks.

mike

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
why did they have so many people working there? did they use volunteers for trailwork or was it all employees?
Whitetail was one of the first ski mountains in the country to offer lift assisted mtb.....i just think they had an initial model of operation (from skiiing) and never really adjusted it or knew how to adjust it......

First time a "DH'd" there i was on a 93 Stumpjumper with 65 mm air fork and 160mm stem......that was in 96.....to give you a point of reference....

If they opened again, the place would really take off IMO.....everyone and thier brother has an All-Mountain bike and the terrain there can cater to that crowd as well as having top notch DH..

..they used to have 30 minute xc races there, start at the top hit some killer xc trails up top and then SuperD type stuff to the bottom, was great......AND they had DH races for several years. Regular weekend DH races and they also had a Friday night DH series.......

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
I sent my email. I would literally cry if they started up the downhill program again. I'm only about an hour and 20 minutes away, and I would be up there so much they'd know my damn name. Everywhere else is 4+ hours away for me (diablo, snowshoe, wintergreen) and this would just be amazing.

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
Done. Model e-mail for those with little time:

Hi,

I'm a DC area skiier and downhill mountain biker who regularly (3x/month) travels to NJ or WV for good downhill biking. These places are 4-5 hours from DC. Because Whitetail is closer, it would have little competition if re-opened to bikes and if a good trail system were developed (20+ full descents; see Whistler, Bromont, and Mtn Creek for profitable models).

If Whitetail committed to sustaining a good lift-served bike operation, I would:

- buy a season's pass
- help design, build, and maintain trail and features, and organize others to assist
- buy food at the resort
- possibly buy replacement parts if available (downhillers regularly destroy parts as they ride)
- bring non-biking friends to hike or whatever else
- enter races
- ride during the week if open
- spread the word in the region and beyond

All the best,
your stupid name

Mar 30, 2006
Crofton, MD
Thanks for all the support people!

NO Whitetail for 07. I just got the official word. They are doing a TON of building up there and don't want some mtn bike race to interfere with construction schedule. I got a 'maybe' for 08. We'll see.

Thanks again for the email support...

mike

Mar 30, 2006
Crofton, MD
Yeah, lots more buildings. Hell, in the end, it might work out better. It seems a lot of revenue for resorts is made through the summer real estate end of the business so maybe it will help our cause. Who knows.

mike

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Shame about '07... Whitetail wasn't a bad place to ride... reasonably close. A lot can be said about that... I had a season pass for Bear Creek because of how close it was... Nice to be able to tune a bike by doing multiple runs on the same trail w/o being concerned about wasting time.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Postponing to '08 means that if we start now we can do a lot more research, make more contacts with potential corporate sponsors, come up with some better financial numbers, and make one hell of a slick sales pitch to present to them.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
*Sigh*

I fish up there a lot and have been tempted more than once to poach the more XC-oriented trails near the ponds and "hunting area". I never have and probably never will but I almost wish I'd never ridden there at all so that I wouldn't know what I was missing. I dunno...perhaps the years cause my recollection to be overly rosy or perhaps I'm just thinking the grapes sour knowing I shall not taste of them. :disgust1:

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I dunno...perhaps the years cause my recollection to be overly rosy or perhaps I'm just thinking the grapes sour knowing I shall not taste of them. :disgust1:
You're not bieng overly Rosey, that place was excellent.....xc, DH, and SuperD before they even really invented Super D......

Top notch and varied terrain and the mountain has a wide face for alot of room to build.....

2008 should be better for me anyway.......my DH bike might not even leave the cellar this year.

TDN

Chimp
Aug 25, 2006
I thought this was more about opening up the lifts for mtb access. You can't ride the xc trails there either?
Nope. Used to be you could park at the bottom, climb the service road and do the XC stuff up top and then bomb down Breakdown Blvd or one of the other sick DH runs. No lift ticket needed, so it didn't cost a dime. But ever since they closed to bikes, you can't ride on their property, period.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Nope. Used to be you could park at the bottom, climb the service road and do the XC stuff up top and then bomb down Breakdown Blvd or one of the other sick DH runs. No lift ticket needed, so it didn't cost a dime. But ever since they closed to bikes, you can't ride on their property, period.
Well, they would make you pay $6 for an all-day trail pass if you weren't riding the lift but now they won't even do that. I specifically asked in my email to them for that seemingly small concession but got nothing more in response than a personal "thank you for your input" reply. The journey of a thousand mile begins with the first step but sadly, even purchased trail passes seem as far off as a Bravo Juliet from Shania.