Quantcast

Who CCW's while riding?

firebike

Chimp
Sep 25, 2008
I have been in a conundrum while riding. Wanting to carry but not finding a reliable, comfortable way of doing so. I have in a camelbak, but access is not goodand it adds extra weight I don't want it. Fanny packs are right out. And holsters, well would brandish just about everywhere. What are you using?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I have been in a conundrum while riding. Wanting to carry but not finding a reliable, comfortable way of doing so. I have in a camelbak, but access is not goodand it adds extra weight I don't want it. Fanny packs are right out. And holsters, well would brandish just about everywhere. What are you using?
You want to carry a firearm but you're worried about the Camelbak adding weight?

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I have a CCWP. CC otherwise is not generally "legal" so I'm assuming you have a CCWP.

Only time I carry is if I'm out exploring in the mountains alone and run the risk of being stranded. If I'm out exploring, I'm usually carrying 5L of water + food + medkit + tools + spare parts so my pack is already heavy. The extra weight of my .45 and a few extra mags pales in comparison to the combined weight of the other stuff.

As far as keeping it accessable. I'll go exploring with a small external frame pack and rig a holster in the frame between the pack and my back. A bit cumbersom as far as drawing, but still quicker than dropping the pack, unzipping, and grabbing the gun.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
Only time I carry is if I'm out exploring in the mountains alone and run the risk of being stranded.
so you can shoot yourself to avoid the suffering associated with starvation?

sorry, i just really don't see the point of carrying a firearm in the wilderness unless you are hunting.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Camelbak makes concealment packs in their law enforcement line.

There are also Suvival Sheath chest rigs which would fit nicely under a loose jersey, but they look like they're intended to break your ribs if you crash. (Luckily, you could just use some duct tape to use the sheath as a patch for the resulting chest flail...)

I just ordered this for use at work, however, which looks like a good solution. I sure hope the thumb break is less retarded than it looks in the pic (snaps opposite where you'd want it to be), but we'll see.

All of that said, I don't carry while MTBing.

Last edited:

ride26

Monkey
Nov 24, 2005
Henniker NH
I carry when I got out for street and skatepark rides, I got an inside the waist line holster and I tuck it in my back, I used to never carry while riding untill a my buddies and myself were almost mugged by some local junkies one night
and yes, I do have my ccwp

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
It has its place, apparently, but handguns used for hunting aren't quite the same as those suited for self-defense or concealment...

I'm not a hunter, but I do know people use massive revolvers with scopes for some types of hunting.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
so you can shoot yourself to avoid the suffering associated with starvation?

sorry, i just really don't see the point of carrying a firearm in the wilderness unless you are hunting.
If you get stranded, hunting could become very useful.

I still don't see the point.

:monkey:
It's not for da aminals, it's for the crazies you come across in dem dar hills. I've also come across hunters who will shoot at anything that moves. I'd like to shoot back if need be. But that's just me. Having a gun out there is also a great way to attract the attention of wouldbe rescuers if I ever needed rescuing. I'd carry flares but I'd more likely start a fire if I launched or lit one in the mtns.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I have hunted with a handgun (Ruger Super RedHawk, .454 Casull...)...it is interesting.

I wont/dont carry while pedaling. But I also ride in relatively safe areas.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I have hunted with a handgun (Ruger Super RedHawk, .454 Casull...)...it is interesting.

I wont/dont carry while pedaling. But I also ride in relatively safe areas.
I've taken down a 4pt with a .357 Smith 6"bbl. at 80yds. Had to track for another 50 yards or so but it's doable. Shooting whilst pedaling is stupid and only really works in John Woo movies. Riding in the back country is stupid, but no one wants to come exploring with me so I go solo. I let them know where I'm going though. Maybe next time I'll just surprise them with a 30mile jaunt over the mtns into unknown territory. :brows:

Lowlight7

Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Virginia, USA
All of that said, I don't carry while MTBing.
Well then you are WRONG! </yeager> :cheers:

Good luck. I keep mine in the pocket on the Camelbak. My pistol weighs less than 3 liters of water...

A traditional carry method is going to do serious damage to your pelvis or ribs when you crash...

I guess you could always ride in a 5.11 vest.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I've taken down a 4pt with a .357 Smith 6"bbl. at 80yds. Had to track for another 50 yards or so but it's doable. Shooting whilst pedaling is stupid and only really works in John Woo movies. Riding in the back country is stupid, but no one wants to come exploring with me so I go solo. I let them know where I'm going though. Maybe next time I'll just surprise them with a 30mile jaunt over the mtns into unknown territory. :brows:
I took a black bear with the RedHawk...good stuff!

You have never qualified on a bike? Sheessh...rookie! Until you can throw a 2 inch group at a full sprint while drinking from a bottle (No CamelBacks!) you are a noob! You will never make the Mall Ninja squad!
(Bonus points for doing it from the Weaver Ready...while on the bike...)

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I took a black bear with the RedHawk...good stuff!

You have never qualified on a bike? Sheessh...rookie! Until you can throw a 2 inch group at a full sprint while drinking from a bottle (No CamelBacks!) you are a noob! You will never make the Mall Ninja squad!
(Bonus points for doing it from the Weaver Ready...while on the bike...)
SpecOps and Gecko45 got me there. I tried to qualify but I hit a 4inch group and dropped the water bottle. I need more practice.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
i sometimes ride, when i'm off, in one of the projects where i work. the place is an urban/freeride playground but everyone there knows me and some of them REALLy don't like me so i have to carry...that's about the only time. i just use a standard concealed carry belt loop holster because i kind of want it to be seen when my shirt is flying up. if i wanted to be really discrete i'd just take my smaller keltec .32 w/ my pocket holster.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I normally ride with cargo type riding shorts. I can throw my Glock 29 or my Sig 239 in a thigh holster to keep it from beating my knee to death. After one trip where I got lost in the back woods of Mississippi, I don't leave home without it any more.

Truth be told, I've had more use for it road riding in Norfolk then I have in the back woods of anywhere.

firebike

Chimp
Sep 25, 2008
You want to carry a firearm but you're worried about the Camelbak adding weight?
Actually it not the weight I am concerned as to the distribution of said weight. Most of the time I do not have my pack with me, and that is when it is hard. Obviously I would love to pack my full size 1911 or my 21, but it is not practical. So I pack lighter and am just looking for a way to have it without broadcasting.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Actually it not the weight I am concerned as to the distribution of said weight. Most of the time I do not have my pack with me, and that is when it is hard. Obviously I would love to pack my full size 1911 or my 21, but it is not practical. So I pack lighter and am just looking for a way to have it without broadcasting.
I pack a sig p220... the original german version :D

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I've also come across hunters who will shoot at anything that moves. I'd like to shoot back if need be.
You'd like to what?

A hunter takes a pot shot at a moving target that he thinks is an animal and you're going to pop off a few rounds in his direction?

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
riding with a firearm....even the Marines I know think that is the dumbest idea out there...where are you riding?
uh...i was a marine and i still carry when i'm riding street in some areas. maybe i'm a little biased because i know what happens on the streets while you're sleeping but if you ride where i ride you'd carry too.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I do think yelling "cease fire!" or even "hey asshole! I'm not a deer!!" would work better than attempting to draw a concealed handgun and get in a pointless firefight with a rifle-armed opponent who's already sighted in on your general area from a distance, Noob...but that's just me. Fire when ready. Darwin's always on the firing line.

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
I carry when I'm on longer trail runs that take me far away from people. There's been some large kitties and associated problems around here. I have a paddle holster that I riveted to the back of my CamelBak. Carrying while riding streets doesn't seem like a great idea...

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I do think yelling "cease fire!" or even "hey asshole! I'm not a deer!!" would work better than attempting to draw a concealed handgun and get in a pointless firefight with a rifle-armed opponent who's already sighted in on your general area from a distance, Noob...but that's just me. Fire when ready. Darwin's always on the firing line.

C'mon now, you know I know better than that. Just tryin to encite opinions is all..

I have been shot at while out in the back country more than once. Usually yelling at them or hitting the dirt and waiving my pack get their attention, but all it takes is one yokle who's had a bit too much to drink or doesn't like my shirt to ruin my life.

I guess my CCW tendencies, whils't out in the mtns, stem from a solo hiking trip. This hunter took a shot with a .308 and claimed he thought I was a mountain goat. For the next 3 hours I could see him follwing me about 100-200 yards away. On two occasions when I looked back with my binocs, all I saw of him was his head, shoulders, front of the scope, and the business side of the barrel.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
What binos were you using? I hear mountain goats prefer Pentax...maybe that's why he thought you were a quadraped?