Quantcast

Who Commutes to work on their bike?? I've got questions

qualude

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
The County of Kings
Mackie said:
I'm not bike commuting anymore - we moved and the city does not allow bikes over the Throgs Neck or Whitestone bridges - the 2 bridges that would get me to work.
When i was commuting Brooklyn to upper Manhattan I rode my old rigid Cannondale MTB with some skinny Panaracer slicks.

Also - my strategy was to bring all of my clothes in on one day so that I could commute unencumbered. This also made it easier if i needed to stop on the way home for some liquid refreshment & lock up the bike - didn't have to worry about getting panniers swiped or anythig like that.
You could always use the Triboro...definitely out of the way, but they allow bikes. Or apparently the BX144 bus (somtimes) has a bike rack on the front of it! A sure sign of NYC bike friendliness!! I currently ride from Brooklyn to the Bronx, but haven't tried the route through Queens, although I hear it is better....

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I Are Baboon said:
No doubt! Besides, you spend half your time in meetings schmoozing people for donations. I am sure you'd want to give yourself a full shower and do your hair and stuff.
I don't have hair to do, I mean I just take a shower and let it dry and that's it, but yeah I can't stink when meeting to schmooze prospective corporate or foundation donors.

I'll have to commute on days when I don't have outside meetings - it's doable once I find a shower to use.

Got a lead on one up in the Main building....stay tuned. :cool:

splat

Nam I am
MMcG said:
I don't have hair to do, I mean I just take a shower and let it dry and that's it, but yeah I can't stink when meeting to schmooze prospective corporate or foundation donors.

I'll have to commute on days when I don't have outside meetings - it's doable once I find a shower to use.

Got a lead on one up in the Main building....stay tuned. :cool:
I think you just have to find Peope to Smoooze that Mt bike ! take them on the trail and make a Pitch!!

and for you mark the way you sweat ! , even if you can find showers I still reccomend a body spray!!! :oink:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
splat said:
I think you just have to find Peope to Smoooze that Mt bike ! take them on the trail and make a Pitch!!

and for you mark the way you sweat ! , even if you can find showers I still reccomend a body spray!!! :oink:
Hahaha! perhaps you are right.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
qualude said:
You could always use the Triboro...definitely out of the way, but they allow bikes. Or apparently the BX144 bus (somtimes) has a bike rack on the front of it! A sure sign of NYC bike friendliness!! I currently ride from Brooklyn to the Bronx, but haven't tried the route through Queens, although I hear it is better....
Well, I moved to LI, so the shortest route to where I work in the Boogie Down Bronx (Morris Park) is the Whitestone - about 26.5 miles door to door. Don't know if I can add on the extra miles of going all the way west to get the Triboro, and then head back east for work.
I have heard that the QBX1 bus goes across the Whitestone and usually has bike racks, but I've never seen one with a rack & I drive the bridge daily.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I'd love to try commuting, but I have a 35 mile ride and I need to be here and ready for kids at 7:45am :eek: Sq-Earl is planning on trying to do some commuting this spring/summer so we'll see how it works for him. I have applied for jobs closer to home (although one of them would entail a LOT of climbing on my way to school) so maybe I will become a commuter afterall.

During the summer, I use my bike to run errands in Saratoga though and that's always worked out well. Just have to buy too many groceries, etc. when I go.

SilentJ said:
I guess I'm one of the few that doesn't leave a bunch of clothes at the office. I'm at a shirt+tie place and I just bring it all in a backpack whichever day I ride. I always leave my shoes at the office so when I ride the train, Im one of those people that wears running shoes and a tie.

It's only 5 or so miles, but I climb the stairs up to my office then back down to the showers (22 floors) so it's still a good workout. Going home is all uphill into the wind ALL the time so it's much more of a workout than the ride down. The thing that p!sses me off is that I dont stop sweating for a while after I've showered...I guess colder showers would help.
Shower temp seems to have no effect. It takes your body about twenty minutes to get adjusted, and it's pretty hopeless to shower in that interval.