Quantcast

Who has a Husky?

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
The literal alpha thing works great with these kinds of dogs. MR. GG would roll ours over onto it's back, put his hand on the chest and growl at it when it was really out of line. He ( the dog, not Mr. GG) stole a steak off the grill once and dropped it when Mr. GG started growling at him. You have to under stand your dog: this works great with dogs that closer to wolves and have that kind of temperament. We tried it with a Golden we had later and the dog pretty much pissed itself it freaked out so bad.

Monks of New Skete have some really good books on this stuff.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
So we are moving forward with the fostering gig, and we are looking to foster a husky. C wants to adopt one but I am being a commit-a-phobe because of their ****ty reputation with cats. Does anyone on the board have a husky? C wants to teach it ski-jornn (sp?) I say he is crazy to want to attach any animal to himself and a set of skis.
You know, a Husky isn't exactly an apartment or little suburban house dog. Yeah Im sure one could live there, but it's really not fair for such an animal to be cooped up in a little house all day or kenneled in a little area outside. Dogs like that are meant to run and run a lot, and though I have no idea what your living situation is, at least consider that if you're going to make the commitment caring for a dog, make sure you're willing to provide an environment in which the animal can be happy. A couple 30 minute walks a day might take the edge of a Husky's general spasticness (that's probably not a word) but it won't be the life the dog wants to lead...at least until the point that he becomes obese and doesn't have the energy to do much else. I get that the idea of a Husky is appealing... might make Fred feel like a mountain man or something, but is it *really* the best choice? Even if you take the thing out to pull you on skis in the winter, are you willing to do that every day? What about in the summer? There's a serious time commitment in properly owning such a dog.
My dogs are pretty lazy, but I often feel guilty that I don't spend enough time with them. I couldn't imagine what a Husky would demand of me.
Of course, maybe you guys have a bunch of land and maybe you have nothing better to do than **** around with the dog all day, WTF do I know? But seriously, make the smart choice and get the dog that actually fits your lifestyle, not the lifestyle you wish you could create.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Good points by BS...
My dog gets at least one 30 minutes walk per day, and has a huge backyard and a playmate. The pounds are full of dogs that well meaning folks bought and then realized that they didnt have the time or energy to train and lead.

But, better a dog then a child...

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Thanks for all the stories and advice everyone. We have been back and forth with the foster/rescue agency and hopefully will have a house visit set up before too long. I'd like to repeat that we are fostering, not adopting. We are actually specifically interested in huskies because of the fact that so many are turned over to shelters because people can't handle their active nature. We'll keep you updated if we get a new temp-family member soon.

Aikislacker

Chimp
Oct 6, 2008
Ahh the memories. I had a husky-shepherd mix who lived to be 12. He was funny- he wanted to be outside most of the time, loved to lay under the pine tree.. when I'd take him for walks off leash, he knew the exact split second I wasn't watching and he would pull a disappearing act. Several times he did this from the yard and I would find him down the closest stream, sometimes about a mile away in no time!
Once he ate an entire canteloupe off the counter, leaving nothing but 3 seeds. He routinely ate entire loaves of bread from on top of the microwave.
He definitely enjoyed his walks and I second the exercise mentions. Sometimes I would leave him at home alone and he would destroy the room he was in. I knew that was either because of noises outside or lack of exercise.
When he was young, he broke out of sturdy crates many times.
All that said, he was probably the best dog I've had so far.
Find a good "positive reinforcement" trainer that is part of the Association of Pet Dog Trainers. Many will work with you if you tell them you're fostering or the dog is adopted. You will learn a lot about dogs and their needs and have a great resource if you have troubles.
Fyi- I fostered a boxer and my trainer said that all foster dogs are "projects". You may find anything from them not differentiating inside from outside in their toilet habits to aggression or fear. DO what you can to establish a relationship with an APDT trainer so you can ask questions and get help.
Good luck and good for you providing a family environment for a rescue dog!

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I honestly don't care what you have to say enough to read that many words.

But I think I get the gist of it & yeah your right, the dog I think we may end up with had a greatlife up to this point. His owners abandoned him outside for over 6 months chained to post in the ground & who the hell knows how he was treated under their care.

So lets see...running the trails with L or Me in the AM, going to work at Doggie Daycare with L, partaking in our weekend warrior adventures (backpacking, hiking, skiing, snowshoeing....), living in a house where he will only be alone <3 hours a day, playing in the courtyard with Roxi & Peaches.......
Yeah, he is going to have a tough life with us compared to what he is used to. :rolleyes:

You know, a Husky isn't exactly an apartment or little suburban house dog. Yeah Im sure one could live there, but it's really not fair for such an animal to be cooped up in a little house all day or kenneled in a little area outside. Dogs like that are meant to run and run a lot, and though I have no idea what your living situation is, at least consider that if you're going to make the commitment caring for a dog, make sure you're willing to provide an environment in which the animal can be happy. A couple 30 minute walks a day might take the edge of a Husky's general spasticness (that's probably not a word) but it won't be the life the dog wants to lead...at least until the point that he becomes obese and doesn't have the energy to do much else. I get that the idea of a Husky is appealing... might make Fred feel like a mountain man or something, but is it *really* the best choice? Even if you take the thing out to pull you on skis in the winter, are you willing to do that every day? What about in the summer? There's a serious time commitment in properly owning such a dog.
My dogs are pretty lazy, but I often feel guilty that I don't spend enough time with them. I couldn't imagine what a Husky would demand of me.
Of course, maybe you guys have a bunch of land and maybe you have nothing better to do than **** around with the dog all day, WTF do I know? But seriously, make the smart choice and get the dog that actually fits your lifestyle, not the lifestyle you wish you could create.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I honestly don't care what you have to say enough to read that many words.

But I think I get the gist of it & yeah your right, the dog I think we may end up with had a greatlife up to this point. His owners abandoned him outside for over 6 months chained to post in the ground & who the hell knows how he was treated under their care.

So lets see...running the trails with L or Me in the AM, going to work at Doggie Daycare with L, partaking in our weekend warrior adventures (backpacking, hiking, skiing, snowshoeing....), living in a house where he will only be alone <3 hours a day, playing in the courtyard with Roxi & Peaches.......
Yeah, he is going to have a tough life with us compared to what he is used to. :rolleyes:
Perhaps if you'd read the post, specifically the parts where I wrote:

I have no idea what your living situation is
and

maybe you guys have a bunch of land and maybe you have nothing better to do than **** around with the dog all day
...you would've realized that I was speaking completely hypothetically in terms of most people's living situations with the warning I provided, but if you'd rather get all pissy and act like a little douche, then by all means have at it.

Edit: I was genuinely trying to be helpful when I wrote that, and am sorry you took offense.

Last edited:

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
When people on the internet don't know what they are talking about & start preaching about what they already admitted they don't know....I tune it out.

Thanks for the concern, buddy.

-TN (Mountian Man)

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
When people on the internet don't know what they are talking about & start preaching about what they already admitted they don't know....I tune it out.

Thanks for the concern, buddy.

-TN (Mountian Man)
Next time maybe your lady should just start a thread titled "Say nice things about Huskies" and we'll avoid any unfortunate facts you may not want to hear.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
This is my only contribution to this dicussion. May it be pondered and appreciated.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Next time maybe your lady should just start a thread titled "Say nice things about Huskies" and we'll avoid any unfortunate facts you may not want to hear.
You obviously missed the point of the thread & my post.

You didn't even answer Laura's question. Have you ever had a Husky?

She just wanted first hand info from the people on this board that have had a Husky before. She got it, from a good number of :monkey:'s with first hand experience too.

While you are on your soapbox, you can preach to them about how they should handle their breed of dog, how many walks it needs, & you can even insert personal jabs (which I still don't get :confused:) & act like you know what the hell is best for everyone else's pet or soon to be pet.

I have seen pics of your dog (if I remember correctly they were chunky) ....maybe you should have considered the quality of life you could provide & maybe thought about the commitment they were going to require.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
My dogs are "chunky" :rofl: (You obviously dont remember because there's only been a "they" for a couple months and I've never posted pics or even mentioned the 2nd one)

And now "Mountain Man" is a personal jab, even though I didn't call you that, I just made the statement people often get a breed of dog that represents a lifestyle they happen to admire.

And yes, I've had experiences with Huskies before, which is why I posted what I did and stand behind every word of it. No I didn't personally own one, but that doesn't make my insight any less valid. Even one of the husky owners agreed with me. All I did was say to make certain considerations, and if it works with your lifestyle, great. Get that kind of dog.

But to be honest, seeing how irrational you are with differing opinions, I really couldn't care less whether you get the point now or not. Just keep whining and maybe you'll feel better.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Dude, you are not following me & I think I articulated my point pretty good.
I didn't even disagree with what you had to say.

But you are right we are all about portraying a "lifestyle" to others. I take my image seriously. :rolleyes:

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
And now "Mountain Man" is a personal jab, even though I didn't call you that, I just made the statement people often get a breed of dog that represents a lifestyle they happen to admire.
I am now curious, What would be the right breed of dog for a Ridemonkey regular? Not the one they admire but their true lifestyle.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I DO realize lots of people bring dogs into ****ty situations (just look at any rescue site & read the stories) but we are not them. We have a good...no a GREAT situation to foster, hell, even adopt another dog....even a difficult breed. The fact that we have put all the research (not just starting a thread on RM) into this..... ah **** it. i am outta here.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I DO realize lots of people bring dogs into ****ty situations (just look at any rescue site & read the stories) but we are not them. We have a good...no a GREAT situation to foster, hell, even adopt another dog....even a difficult breed. The fact that we have put all the research (not just starting a thread on RM) into this..... ah **** it. i am outta here.
By all means, get the dog, you sound like good care-takers, just don't let your wife toss it into a cage for half of the day.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
So we are moving forward with the fostering gig, and we are looking to foster a husky. C wants to adopt one but I am being a commit-a-phobe because of their ****ty reputation with cats. Does anyone on the board have a husky? C wants to teach it ski-jornn (sp?) I say he is crazy to want to attach any animal to himself and a set of skis.
I didn't read through the whole thread, but I would suggest against it. They are cute but are smart as hell and love to make your life hell. haha

This is Haley looking stupid because we gave her a bath... bitch:

Here she is dry:

She is actually a German Shepard / Husky mix which is horrible. She is smart as hell and loves causing trouble.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
I have a 1/2 husky right now
What'd ya do with the other half?

Ah cha cha cha cha.

On another note, I want to thank the selective readers of this thread, you have set a new RM record. Some of you may want to get tested for your own relation to husky DNA.