Quantcast

Who has a XTR 20mm front hub?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Just curious. I noticed most retailers have it at $180. Is that a good price for a loose bearing front hub?

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
its not too bad a price.

remember though, most 20mm hubs, you can't pull apart and work on. or they just don't have any adjustment.

plus the xtr one, sure as hell doesn't weigh anything.

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
What's the most you spent on a front hub?
about that much. but i'd rather just buy a Hadley front hub. you can find them at about 100 bucks. and they are a sealed bearing, and adjustable.
i have 3 hadley front hubs, and 6 hadley rear hubs. my other front hubs include,
2 marzocchi, 1 DT FR.

one of my marzocchi hubs is 6 years old. and still working like a champ, its not adjustable. and light.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK

RogerH

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Sweden
I have a XTR 20mm front hub! It spins nice! :)

I got it because it was half the price of a king, but still had angular bearings. Also, I think the center-lock rotor looks killer. :)
I suppose the alu carrier makes for a stiffer rotor that is is less prone to warping. Time will tell!

The hub was 222g, lock ring 10g and rotor 192g.
pics here: http://www.bds-archive.net/vfr_images/xtr2007/

Please correct me if i'm wrong, but I think shimano and king are the only ones that use angular breaings. Are the Hadleys really adjustable? They look like normal single row cartrides.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Oooh, not seen one of those rotors before, they're a bit funky aint they!

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Loose balls rule.

Built a few wheels recently for some people using that hub and I have to say its about time there was a nice 20mm hub with loose balls....weighs nothing, looks pimp and its a shimano.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Loose balls rule.

Built a few wheels recently for some people using that hub and I have to say its about time there was a nice 20mm hub with loose balls....weighs nothing, looks pimp and its a shimano.

im all for loose balls (not a fashion statement) but this hub is kinda heavy, expensive and normally cartridge bearings hold up quite well on front thru axle hubs, i personally wouldnt spend more than what a ringle or hope costs.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
im all for loose balls (not a fashion statement) but this hub is kinda heavy, expensive and normally cartridge bearings hold up quite well on front thru axle hubs, i personally wouldnt spend more than what a ringle or hope costs.
I find cart. bearings in a front hub to be the most unreliable bearings ever...but thats just me.

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
I have a XTR 20mm front hub! It spins nice! :)

I got it because it was half the price of a king, but still had angular bearings. Also, I think the center-lock rotor looks killer. :)
I suppose the alu carrier makes for a stiffer rotor that is is less prone to warping. Time will tell!

The hub was 222g, lock ring 10g and rotor 192g.
pics here: http://www.bds-archive.net/vfr_images/xtr2007/

Please correct me if i'm wrong, but I think shimano and king are the only ones that use angular breaings. Are the Hadleys really adjustable? They look like normal single row cartrides.
thanks for the detail. good to know.

and yes hadleys are that adjustable. you can over pre-load the bearings. so careful.