Quantcast

Who has been to Costa Rica?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I've been but we did no riding - it was all day hikes and a couple boat trips. Link is in signature. We had a freakin' blast. I'd love to go again and do some multi-day hikes into the rainforest.

I'd be happy to answer questions if you have any but I can't speak to the biking.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I've been but we did no riding - it was all day hikes and a couple boat trips. Link is in signature. We had a freakin' blast. I'd love to go again and do some multi-day hikes into the rainforest.

I'd be happy to answer questions if you have any but I can't speak to the biking.
:stupid:

Loved it, can't wait to go back. Didn't do any riding, we did so much other stuff I can't really say I felt like I missed out though.

*edit: PM Syadasti. His sister lives (lived?) down there for quite sometime.

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
a dead friend from high school used to spend at least a month or two out the year down there just fvcking around and drinking on the beach.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I did a DH tour there with Big Mountain Adventures. Ridebig.com

Pura Vida tour. Was a good time, but I've decided that I will exhaust North American options, starting with BC, before I go on another trip down south.

It was good, but not to the point of it being waaaay better than here. The trail quality was a little wanting. But it was fun because it was different.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Good to know about the riding. Anyone have suggestions on best areas to go or stay? I was hoping the riding would be a little better. Planning for a family vacation with some friends, and may just do a separate biking vacation to Whistler or something for myself.

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
SouthEastern Massachusetts
My wife & I took a vacation in the southwest corner on Osa Peninsula, nearby Corcovado National Park, a couple years ago.
We stayed at the Finca Exotica eco lodge. We didnt bring our kids, but there were families who did bring theirs, and everyone had a good time. MTB was not on my mind, as there were so many other things to do, see & experience. Looking around, I would say that the MTB was meh anyways... Highlights on our trip included hiring a bush pilot to fly us into the Corcovado National rain forest (there was an air-strip nearby the lodge), and then we had a local guide to take us on a tour of that area. The rain forest is amazing.

http://www.fincaexotica.com/

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Good to know about the riding. Anyone have suggestions on best areas to go or stay? I was hoping the riding would be a little better. Planning for a family vacation with some friends, and may just do a separate biking vacation to Whistler or something for myself.
We spent the first half near Arenal, at the Tabacon hotel. It was just beautiful. The hotel is smack in the middle of the wilderness, with the rooms extending off under the trees. There were some nice gardens around that attracted a lot of small birds and butterflies.

http://www.tabacon.com/

The hot springs were outstanding - none of the ones that we found at Tabacon were built up, it was just the natural hot waters flowing and the trails built alongside them let you pick a spot that looked nice and get in.

We did daily excursions, spending only a little time at the actual hotel.

The second half we spent on the Pacific coast at an all inclusive resort. Fun a completely different way. Ate a lot, drank a lot... still did a bunch of excursions but we also spent some time by the pool or at the beach.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Peru would change your tune.
Could be, but I'm sure there's a ton of fun stuff to ride in Europe too. Would love to check out Northern Italy, Portes du Soleil, etc...

But all those options cost about 10x what it would cost me to just hunt around BC, Yukon, WA, OR, etc...

If money and time weren't "objects", then I'm sure I'd hit all of the above in short order. But here we are...

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
We spent the first half near Arenal, at the Tabacon hotel. It was just beautiful. The hotel is smack in the middle of the wilderness, with the rooms extending off under the trees. There were some nice gardens around that attracted a lot of small birds and butterflies.

http://www.tabacon.com/

The hot springs were outstanding - none of the ones that we found at Tabacon were built up, it was just the natural hot waters flowing and the trails built alongside them let you pick a spot that looked nice and get in.

We did daily excursions, spending only a little time at the actual hotel.

The second half we spent on the Pacific coast at an all inclusive resort. Fun a completely different way. Ate a lot, drank a lot... still did a bunch of excursions but we also spent some time by the pool or at the beach.
This is good to know. My wife and I tend to be different vacationers, along with our friends that we normally travel with. The other three are the type that are fine with flying to a beach resort, laying on the beach/pool and drinking cocktails. I would rather get up at the crack of dawn, go do some awesome bike ride/hike/whatever awesome activity and come back exhausted. Our last couple trips have been sit on a beach and it's just boring. I don't need to spend a couple grand to sit at a pool in a different country.

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I would rather get up at the crack of dawn, so some awesome bike ride/hike/whatever awesome activity and come back exhausted.
That's the way we travel. The hotels in Costa Rica made it pretty easy to do that - you go talk to the concierge and they'll provide you lists of local tour groups, activities, times, etc. You basically decide what you want, and show up at the front of the hotel at the designated time. Everything else is handled for you.

Someone told me you can haggle the prices but honestly, they weren't that much. We just paid and enjoyed ourselves.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Been to a couple countries in Latin America (Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Brasil, Argentina, Paraguay and Chile) and allthough Costa Rica is beautifull, there are places that offer the same but are way cheaper and less turisty.
I spent some time on the Oso Peninsula on the pacific side of Costa Rica, as a volunteer in a sea turtle hatchery/natural reserve.
Syadasty's sister was/is the manager there and Josh came to visit too. It was an awesome experiance, but if youre not going for that kind of thing or the rain forrests/national parcs, i think theres better options.

If you wanna go explore then I would say Peru is my favorite, followed by Patagonia and then Galapagos in Ecuador. But I heard for mtb trails Chile is the place to be...
And Im very happy to say I dont have a clue on resort type vacations in Latin America.
:D

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Peru sounds awesome, I know I'm always jealous of the dude posting pics in the DH forum. What kind of stuff is available in Peru? Is it cheaper/less touristy than Costa Rica?

We are headed to Cabo in two weeks (although I can't really complain since we are taking our 1 year old) and doing a large group trip. My biggest beef with Mexico is that pretty much everything sucks, yet they charge you in USD and charge you US prices. I would typically prefer to get away from touristy crap and just explore.

My wife let me plan our honeymoon trip to NZ and to this day it's been the best vacation I've done. It had everything I wanted and then some. I would go back in a heartbeat.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
I'll also vouch for Arenal. We stayed with some Ex-pat friends who lived in the area. We did spend a day at one of the resorts that had some kind of day-pass thing for the hot springs and what not. They had some really fun water slides into pools of varying temps, some more relaxed (read, no kids) pools, a HUGE butterfly pavilion and expeditions galore. We were there just for the hot springs, slides and butterflies since we were there with child, but the wife and I did grab one of the zip line tours. Super fun, and we were the only people on it at the time. Though one of the guides did say something about Mexicans when he asked were we were from and got read the riot act in Spanish by my wife. :rofl:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
We do have a little guy, but this trip might get lined up to be sans children. He might get to stay with Grandma and Grandpa for a week.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Though one of the guides did say something about Mexicans when he asked were we were from and got read the riot act in Spanish by my wife. :rofl:
interesting....worked with a vet tech who jokingly referred to herself and her family as beaners....

samdemo

Chimp
Aug 8, 2007
I've been a few times and although the mountain biking lacks compared to other places, I still found it to be a good time. Big Mountain wouldn't be cheap, but they do put on a great trip. They used to do bigger groups but now keep the trips to smaller ones. The local guide they have is an awesome guy and knows how to rip on a bike. I've brought my DH bike both time and it worked really well due to the fact that the trails are under developed. They're pretty rough and at the end of the day you get pretty beat up. I will likely be going back soon, but will bring the AM bike and do more pedalling this time around. I will also rent a dual purpose motos (they rent KTM 690 and the wife can ride a Yamaha XT250) and travel the coast going from beach town to beach town on old roads and what have you. I will also rent motos(they rent KTM motos too) and do some trail riding for a few days from a friends beach house.

I really liked the west coast but didn't think a whole lot of the east, although my time was limited there. Corcovado was amazing(pricey though) and Manuel Antonio was nice too. Santa Teresa and the surrounding coast was nice and has decent surfing there, although that is coming from someone who sucks at surfing. Arenal was nice, but is often covered in clouds. Turrialba (think that's the spot) has some of the best white water rafting but we had to cancel due to the wife separating her shoulder on the mtb portion of our trip.

Both times we went we rented a car for 10 days and racked up around 1200 miles or so touring around. Driving there is pretty damn fun do to the fact that going with the flow.....well lets say they take chances. I felt safe driving though, just you need to pay attention. Car rental wasn't out too expensive. Hotels and food can be pricey depending where you are in the country. The coast being more than the mountain towns.

I liked it there a lot likely due to the fact there is lots to do. Hope that helps.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
interesting....worked with a vet tech who jokingly referred to herself and her family as beaners....
I guess there is a difference between referring to yourself as such, and someone else referring to you as such. The guides words were "hormigas" as I recall.

*Edit: This was a bill from a restaurant on the shore of Arenal we ate at with the ex-pat friends. I can't say they were wrong.

Last edited: