Quantcast

Who has the best quality full suspension bikes?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
After reading another "Ellsworth cracks" thread, I was wondering what are the best quality (not design) full-suspension bikes?

I mean the highest quality, best welds, alignment, bearings, and threads; and the fewest problems.

I will include this proviso: any company listed has to primarily make full suspension bikes. Companies like Moots and Seven definitely make the highest quality bikes period, but they probably sell 1 FS bike to 10 road/ht's.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
Can't say from my personal experience, but speaking from iExperience, Turner seems to do okay.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Good question. I imagine just about everyone has a different perspective on this. As far as FS bike's I've not seen broken...

Yeti 575, AS-R SL, AS-X
Konas seem to be pretty tough, although I did see a cracked Stinky which Kona replaced no questions asked.
Transition bikes seem pretty bulletproof.
Turner and Titus seem to be solid.

Probably a better milestone would be if the company takes care of people who crack their frames. Cannondales seem to have a reputation of being fragile, however they always seem to honor their warranty. As stated above, Kona just seems to give out frames at the slightest suggestion of a defect. However it seems some companies, for example Intense, Ellsworth, Santa Cruz, always seems to try and come up with an excuse for you to pay $450 for a crash replacement whenever you try to make a warranty claim.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Quality is not just "does it break?" BMX frames are near bulletproof, but looking at the welds, much less their alignment, puts them near last in quality.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
specialized and trek possibly? they can afford good quality control at the factories to weed out bad frames. granted they have issues, but then again look at the sheer numbers of them out on the trails compared to those of a boutique manufacturers.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
Quality is not just "does it break?" BMX frames are near bulletproof, but looking at the welds, much less their alignment, puts them near last in quality.
true, I would never place the majority of the Kona offerings very high in quality. Durability, sure.

Unless you've had personal experience with a brand, this is really more of a conversation of perception.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
It depends, Foes for instance have the best welds and straightest frames out there, they are also using the highest quality bearings and bolts. However you see broken Foes frames reasonably often, I thik it's because the frames are bough mostly by hardcore riders who thrash their gear, and they can and do break anything and everything.

If you wat to talk fewest broken frames no matter the circumstances, that's a different story. I worked at a fairly large shop (5-10 bikes a day sold) and there were a few companies that we never procesed a warrenty for, Moots, Bianchi, Marin, and Transition. Then there was Yeti and Mountaincycle, we did a handfull of crash replacements for each company, but the average age of the broken bike was 10 years. There was one however 575 that broke a chainstay, the alluminum part, not the carbon.

But if the absolute best welds and straightest frames are your thing I'd say Moots, Yeti, Foes for the top three.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
specialized and trek possibly? they can afford good quality control at the factories to weed out bad frames. granted they have issues, but then again look at the sheer numbers of them out on the trails compared to those of a boutique manufacturers.

That is actually a good point.
I remember watching that show they did on Berrecloth on the Discovery Channel, and they showed Specialized testing the Demo 8 to failure on this high tech machine. Not only did they know exactly how much force would break the frame, but more importantly they knew exactly where it would crack and the outcome was something you could ride out of without injury.
These machines give the larger companies a big advantage in situations like these.
Plus Specialized has their pivot system dialed as well, so I would rank them high in quality.
As far as the smaller companies, Turner's bikes are filled with quality like a fat kid is filled with sugar. Their bushing system is awesome and requires no hassles at all. Everything is quality from the bikes to the service.

nycurse

Monkey
Jul 27, 2006
santa cruz makes nice bikes. i have never seen a SC ever crack unless you can prove me wrong.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
santa cruz makes nice bikes. i have never seen a SC ever crack unless you can prove me wrong.
I've had three of their frames now and would not say they are not the most trouble-free bikes out there. Laterally flexy rears on the hecklers and crappy paint in the past doesn't make for a good frame. Besides, all their VPP frames seem to have bad reputations in regards to bearing life. Certainly attractive bikes though.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I have seen pretty much all the top Downhill bikes crack and/or have other problems. But again, that is just one aspect of a quality frame.
All bikes can break with the correct force.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
A problem like this is sometimes easier solved in the other direction.
Cracks I have seen or heard of directly:
Specialized, Iron Horse, GT, Nicolai

Add your own and we'll see what's left at the end. This should be interesting...

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Dude, are you drunk? I love SC (i've owned two), but I've seen and heard of a ton of broken ones. This is especially the case for some of the older ones. Bullits and (most particularly) old Super 8s broke a bunch.

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
SC used to have lots of trouble with the S8, personally saw 3 crack at the crossing thingy in the rear pivot. but those were replaced without question...also saw an S8 cracked in half in the main trangle....but of course it s cause the bike felt down nearly 300m bouncing on rocks and we only found the front end...hehe, was funny (and sad).

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Hilarious!

Welds that look like bubblegum count them out.

Maybe you should google broken santa cruz...
Believe it or not JD, I would have to agree with you. While I like Santa Cruz designs and I think their customer service is good, I know their bikes are hardly perfect. As good as most, but not the best.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Specialized has some of the straightest frames, clean welds, a crazy amount of R&D testing. They sell toolkits for installing and removing bearings for their bikes. This is an important detail since any bearing will wear out eventually, regardless of quality.

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place

have you ever worked in a trek dealer? not being a smart ass...

2 years ago i would have 100% agreed with what you said, but as of the last couple of months, the shop i worked in had so many bad trek/fishers/klein/lemonds come from the factory with a number a issues that resulted in us warrenting the bikes before we could put them on the sales floor. I think it had to do with treks sudden increase in size.

to completely contradict myself, your comment about the sheer number of trek family bikes vs the amount that are actually ****ed is not that bad. basically, i have nothing against trek... its just there quality control seemed to have dropped recently.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
have you ever worked in a trek dealer? not being a smart ass...
i did work at a trek dealer for a while. a good deal of the warranties that we had to deal with for brand new bikes before they went out on the floor were components that were missing or messed up. and don't forget that it is all relative. say trek sells 1000 bikes and 50 of them end up being messed up. how does that compare to a smaller builder that sells 100 bikes and 10 of them are messed up? in order for anyone in this thread to have substantial proof that one brand is better than the rest when it comes to quality control i would like some solid #s, the number of a model from trek sold, the number of that model that had to be warrantied, and then the same #s for a small builder that sells at least 50 bikes a year.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
BTW, there is not a single major or overseas manufactured bike that I would put on this list.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I agree with JD and Mike B...Ventana has some of the most amazing frames I've seen quality-wise.

Why do you think a lot of the boutique manus use/have used their rear ends?

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
Trek seems to have problems with their aluminum Fuels breaking, but looking at the attention to detail on my Top Fuel and my Diesel, I'd put Trek up there. The Sessions seem nice as well.