Quantcast

Who here has bought retail oakley sunglasses?

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I got a question LOL...

So yeah yeah, I bought some Gascan's off ebay. They were "100% new and authentic". They were $65 shipped from a seller who has bee selling a lot of these. So I figured hey, can't be that bad. I paid with paypal in case it was bunk.

So I got them today, it's a white box, with some shotty feeling warranty/paper work, the bag feels real, but the glasses feel stupid cheap. That was the first give-away that they might be fake.

I've never bought Oakley's online, but I see they have white boxes, and yellow boxes. Some have stickers on the box saying what they are, others have serial stickers with product codes. My box has a serial number on it........in the bar code, that is to a different make of Oakleys. So I emailed the seller and I am going to see if I can send them back, and if not file a paypal refund.

I'm just curious, with legit retail Oakley's what comes with them and what about their packaging? I have a pair of straight jackets I bought from the sunglass hut years ago and just have the lens changed every so often. I figured I'd try and save a couple bucks but these don't feel right. They say Gascan on the inside of the ear piece, and on the other it says made in USA. But I still think they are fake.

Just curious, I know lots of you guys have Oakleys so I'd ask.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Gascans feel cheap.

most (all?) of the 07 Oakleys have been coming in white boxes.

the warranty paperwork...is it serrated, does it look like it was torn from another sheet, or are the edges clean?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I knew a guy in "the old neighborhood" who used to bring in lots of quality merchandise from his cousin in NJ. Among these fine products were counterfeit Oakleys. Personally I couldn't tell them from authentic. The pair I like retailed for around $80-$90 back then as I asked to buy one and "how much?". He says back to me "Nick, for you, 3 for $20." I bought three, sold two pair for $15 each, and got lunch. Score.

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
Well today we went to a sunglass hut to check them out. I got hosed......mine are fake. Pisses me off. The ebay auction says 100% real and authentic. I emailed the seller and did my deal with paypal so they can see I am trying to communicate here. The guy had 100% feedback too. But man are they WAY different.

Real oakley's tend to have a model number on the inside........and plus don't feel like they'd snap in 10 seconds.

Oh well.........guess I learned my lesson........always buy the real thing if that's what you want.

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
So model number and feel... What else is different? I'm curious.
I'm guessing if the plastic feels as cheap as this is, then the lens aren't real either. I could care less about the paper work but one things leads to another.........and when you buy something and you "think" it's authentic, and you pay $60+ for a pair of what you think is real, and is fake, it's being ripped off. If the auction said they were fake then I'd just be a sucker, but that wasn't the case.

The seller has accepted to take them back atleast. He claims they are authentic and bought a bunch from an Oakley dealer going out of business. I told my side of everything how retail ones come as I went and did some research going to a retail store, and he was still convinced they were real, but still would take them back. So I am sending them back.

I was reading up on how to spot fakes on Ebay. Unfortunately his description was pretty spot on for a real pair. I know mis-spellings and such are fake. What got me is when doing a google search I could buy exactly what I was sold for $65 for $20 and if I bought 3 or more pairs they started getting cheaper. Box, sunglasses, paperwork, the whole nine. So who knows what is going on.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Our Oakley stuff is in white boxes. It also doesn't have model names on many of the glasses, which is ultra retarded. I don't care to know the name of a pair of super gay looking glasses. For over $100 retail on 30% margin max stuff, you can at least print the f*#king name on the arms. :rant:

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Uh, my guess is the "optics" are complete crap.

All of my O stuff has come in black or yellow boxes with Vaults, but it is all RX so it may be different.
I was thinking optics, but Spunger didn't mention anything.

None of my Oakleys have a model number on the frame; neither my Radars, Monster Dogs, nor my M-Frames.

My RX glasses do, but they're RX frames.

I think my Monster Dogs and Radars feel "cheap". Especially my Radars. I remember thinking the same about Gascans. Mine are all legit, coming from either O-Stores or bike shops.

My Radars came in a white box, with a white hardcase and white lens cloth. Not sure if that's an Oakley Custom thing, or what.

benno

Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
My Gascans feel like cheap fake ****. The lenses are pretty good though.

Most Oakleys do.

(the only things written on them BTW are 'Gascans' and 'made in USA')

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Just take them to an oakley store and compare. Should be pretty easy to tell side by side.

I'd never buy oakleys online from an unofficial store. Too many fakes out there.

I stick with Bolle usually. I have some bolle's that are far nicer than my old E-Wires were.

Edit: Just saw a pic of those gasscan sunglasses... so "extreme". Do they come with a mountain dew?

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
Well guys........I did compare them to a retail store's gascans and they are infact fake. Gascan's have their model # on the inside. Mine don't. The boxes are white...but have a sticker on them indicating what model of glasses they are. Mine didn't.

Best of all I was in contact with the seller and he emailed me and said he has 20 pairs of these things, started opening them up and they all seemed fake. So he's convinced they are all fake. I told him to go to a sunglass hut or something and compare and you can see. I'm sending them back today and hopefully by the end of the week I'll have my money back.