Quantcast

Who here owns a Compound Miter Saw?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I'm looking to buy one in the near future and I was curious if anybody has had any experience with any brands in particular.

I'm not looking for something spectacular just something that will last a few years with regular home-owner type use.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Yeah, I have one, it's a "Delta"

Ive had it about a year now. Did all the hardwoods and trim in this house with it so far, amongst many other projects. Quite alot of cutting and still running strong.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I built all of the custom clad in sash radius windows for pozzi that went into the olympic building in utah and still build custom windows in the winter.

here are the brands I would reccomend in order

rigid
milwaulkie
dewalt
bosch
makita

the object of the miter saw game is to be able to cut true angles, if not they are useles saws. if you test one before buying cut two opposing 45 angles and see if they make a 90 with a square. that will tell you if she is legit. (used)

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I also have a Delta but dislike it.. my particular saw is a bit far out of square as compared to the marking on the saw for angles.
You have to square them up when you first take them out of the box right?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I've got a 5yo Ryobi. Better saw than I expected for $200. I put a $60 blade in it and it does quite nice finish work.
My house is soooo out of square it really doesn't matter if the saw cuts crooked or not.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
You have to square them up when you first take them out of the box right?
It is hard to explain there are adjustable stops for 90 and 45 for blade tilt; however for cut angle no.. it is infinitely adjustable but with detents at the major angles used and those are off..

I think for any future tool purchase I am going to buy Milwaukee brand..

Streamline

Spammer Extraordinaire
Jul 9, 2007
I have a Ryobi as well. I have used to for a crap load of things over the past 4 years. The laser sight is nice as well and still going.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I built all of the custom clad in sash radius windows for pozzi that went into the olympic building in utah and still build custom windows in the winter.

here are the brands I would reccomend in order

rigid
milwaulkie
dewalt
bosch
makita

the object of the miter saw game is to be able to cut true angles, if not they are useles saws. if you test one before buying cut two opposing 45 angles and see if they make a 90 with a square. that will tell you if she is legit. (used)
Wow, sounds like a cool job.
Thanks for the heads up. So rigid is good huh? Homedepot has them at some pretty good prices.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I have a ridgid, and like it. I also liked the Dewalt and Delta models.

I will say stay away from pistol grip models and stick with a "D" handle. It is more "ergonomically" correct, and more comfortable use wise than the pistol grip. (my wrist used to cramp like hell using my Bro-In-law's saw with a pistol grip)

I have the 12" version of this

here is a pic of one with a pistol grip style handle... not comfortable IMHO!

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Got a Ryobi from Home Depot. It died halfway through a laminate floor job. Went to harbor freight and bought a $100 gig. The scale was 2-3deg off, but it survived 3 laminate jobs, 4 fence jobs, and a bunch of little odds and ends over the past 5 years.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
My house is soooo out of square it really doesn't matter if the saw cuts crooked or not.
haha. my house was built before electric saws were invented (actually pretty cool to think it was built entirely with hand tools), so is similarly wonky. i like to refer to that as 'character'.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Last edited:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Almost exactly the same one I have but this one has the spiffy laser. Just make sure to measure the first cut so you can get your (+-) deviation. Like I said, it's worked great and the price is unbeatable.

edit: dang price went up. I'll check my local store on my lunch break... they may have it cheaper.
It's probably because of the LAZER BEAM!

PS. The first job I'm doing with it is cutting laminate flooring.

ryebread

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
Central Oregon
I've had a Hitachi 10in. for a few years. Used it for homeowner type stuff- metal, wood, pvc and made quite a few picture/art frames with 45s. Still solid and running strong. I wish I went with the 12 in though. And don't pay the extra money for one with a laser. IMO its just something else to go wrong or get out of alignment.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I've had a Hitachi 10in. for a few years. Used it for homeowner type stuff- metal, wood, pvc and made quite a few picture/art frames with 45s. Still solid and running strong. I wish I went with the 12 in though. And don't pay the extra money for one with a laser. IMO its just something else to go wrong or get out of alignment.
Yeah I don't care about the laser but a lot of them just come with it now.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I'm not a fan of cheap tools.

You can buy a quality tool for a little bit more money or you can buy a cheap tool and keep replacing it.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a mitre saw from Harbor Freight.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I'm not a fan of cheap tools.

You can buy a quality tool for a little bit more money or you can buy a cheap tool and keep replacing it.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a mitre saw from Harbor Freight.
Honestly I'm the same way but now I'm a homeowner with little money. I figure if it lasts me a year or 2 and makes ok cuts I'll be happy with it.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I got ya.

I'm just picky about my tools, occupational habit I guess.
I'm the same way when it comes to tools that pay the bills. But for home improvement stuff, or when the tool is going to get limited used, then I'm all for cheaper tools. I always opt for the lifetime warranty option if it's available too.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
bought the $99 Ryobi 10" at HD. cuts great, especially with a replacement blade on it. only complaints are 1) it's only 10" and 2) the bag "catcher" doesn't exactly catch. still, for $100 I really, really, can't complain.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
bought the $99 Ryobi 10" at HD. cuts great, especially with a replacement blade on it. only complaints are 1) it's only 10" and 2) the bag "catcher" doesn't exactly catch. still, for $100 I really, really, can't complain.
Is it a mitre saw or a Sliding Compound Mitre saw?

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I can't recommend the Rigid saw, we had one that was a piece of junk.

Dewalt is pretty good at making miter boxes, but in general, Milwaukee and Makita are the top of the line as far as big name tool makers go. Milwaukee is more heavy duty and usually more powerful, but Makita is only slightly less durable and powerful, but a whole helluva lot more ergonomic and easy to use.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I worked on a framing and trim crew for about 9 months at one point in my life and I'm around the tools on a daily basis at job sites so If I had to choose I would choose a Dewalt but I don't have that kind of cash.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I bought a $150 craftsman laser one with a stand. It was on sale (normally like $200) so I figured hey what the hell. I think 2 days into using it the laser died, which I didn't care too much about in the first place.

I got one with indents for the angles. Some you could adjust to no end, but they seemed like they might tend to walk on the measurements and you'd end up cutting things not square. It does compound cuts as well but I just got it so I could stop using my cheapo miter block and just get things done faster.

psychodad

Chimp
Jun 24, 2008
New York
My brother is the product manager at Festool which blows anything mentioned here out of the water but don't ask about the prices. Their new compound miter saw is pretty amazing: http://kapex.festoolusa.com/
We have a bunch of Festool stuff at work, the quality is just unmatched, as is the price. $1600 for a sliding compound miter from a local Festool supplier and we are seriously considering buying one. We actually have 5 miter saws at work. The laser cutting guide is a must IMHO.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I can't recommend the Rigid saw, we had one that was a piece of junk.

Dewalt is pretty good at making miter boxes, but in general, Milwaukee and Makita are the top of the line as far as big name tool makers go. Milwaukee is more heavy duty and usually more powerful, but Makita is only slightly less durable and powerful, but a whole helluva lot more ergonomic and easy to use.
I got big hands. Both the Milwaukee and the Makita are made for folks with tiny little hands. The Dewalt fits the bill for us....

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
:stupid:

I feel the same way , and I have bought quite a few "Chicago electric's" from Harbor freight , and most of the time I have not been disappointed. now they have a store near me , this could be dangerous.
The online shipping aint bad either.