Quantcast

Who here races bmx??

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
Just wondering.

The other day was the first time that I have ever been to a BMX track. It was an enlightening experience. when Colin and I got there is was just like the seen out of an old movie that I have seen called "on any given Sunday" which is an old car racing movie but the opening seen is with some kids playing around on a bmx track riding it every which way with some of them trying to improve their capabilities and others just having some fun. Either way they were having a blast on this open public track. After getting over the great condition that the track was in we started by just more so rolling the track. After doing this a couple of time Colin being the better rider tried clearing a couple of the jumps. After a couple more tries he got two of them. Then two other kids showed up to the track. I think their ages where 10 and 11. After they warm up a little bit they start some more serious runs. Even though it was obvious that they raced it was surprising their capability not only where they clearing more than anyone else out there but they were clearing it sooo smoothie. also while they where there Colin and i started to egg one of them on to clear a different table they he said he had never tried to clear before (it was very obvious that he could clear it). He tried a couple of run ups then he went for it. He nailed it his first time! Then of course he had to show his parents, who totally supported him in racing, while it didn’t seem like they were forcing him to race. After 2 tries just not feeling it he hits the jump in the exact same fashion that he had the first time. God its annoying being shown up by 10 and 11 year old kids

After a while the sun started to go down and Colin and I had worked are way back over to the beginning of the track were Colin had started practicing the first and second section again. That this time I had started to talk to the father of the two kids and found out that they have weekly races. Also I found out that the cost of the races (6 bucks a race and 45 for the license). The least thing that I learned is that the track is always in the great condition that we found it in.

Basically this was an enlightening day like I said before. First it is unbelievable how much fun riding BMX is. I have always been able to resist the temptation to buy a BMX bike, now though the thought I seriously crossing my mind. Another thing that I found interesting that Colin mentioned is that BMX racing is truthfully a sport for kids. This sport allows them to be competitive in a very safe and rewarding way. All in all I think I’m going to send more time it the race track tuning my skills and having fun.

P.S. I think its also apparent that I’m really really bored in my project management class.

zerossix

Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Arlington, VA
yeahhh that was tight. those kids were little rippers. they were 10 and 12 actually. funny though the 10 year old was better. said he'd been racing since he was 4. wild. i really wish i'd started riding bmx when i was a kid. the amount of flow that kid who weighs little more then twice my bike alone can throw is amazing. and yeah he was schoolin us. i was ripping off his lines, i'm not gunna lie. he definitely taught me a thing or two.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I've been going to Chesapeake BMX off and on for a while now and have had much the same experience. The vibe is really cool, the kids and their parents all having a good time. Some of those little (I mean really little, like 6 years old) blow me away. They make it look so easy. I'm totally chicken to try the big doubles for fear of casing. They just clear them like they aren't even there. (Jeff, do you have any tips for growing a set of balls?)

I'm not sure if I will ever race but I still have a blast every time I go. I get so stoked when ever I clean the rhythm section. A lot of times I just session that over and over again. So fun.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
The hampton track is a really nice track, especially the first 2 straights. Just watch out jumping when it's windy. That gets scary on the 2nd straight.
I have some pictures of my son ripping it on his SX. We always hit that track when we are up visiting.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
That place is a kick in the ass huh?
I go out there when time allows, provided its not a tuesday, to get in some time for DS/MX during the season.
Once this house thing and some work get done I intend to incorporate it into my weekly "Let's slim fatty down to just mild fat ass" routine for next year.

dairy_dude

Chimp
Nov 19, 2004
I didn't race this year because its too late in the season for me to spend $40 for a liscense with so few races left. I definatly want ot race their next year because the richmond track is like 15 minutes away. I may even try doing their points series.

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
I didn't race this year because its too late in the season for me to spend $40 for a liscense with so few races left. I definatly want ot race their next year because the richmond track is like 15 minutes away. I may even try doing their points series.
NBL licenses run a full 365 days from the date of purchase, unlike Norba's. FYI in case you wanna get a few late season races in still.

David - practice casing small jumps. Once you learn how to case smoothly, you won't fear the big'uns. Seriously. Survival skills > bike handling skills.

DC40

Chimp
Mar 24, 2005
I used to go out to woodbridge track every once in awhile, but have not been out to the hampton track since I moved down here... I want to go check it out.

dairy_dude

Chimp
Nov 19, 2004
NBL licenses run a full 365 days from the date of purchase, unlike Norba's. FYI in case you wanna get a few late season races in still.

David - practice casing small jumps. Once you learn how to case smoothly, you won't fear the big'uns. Seriously. Survival skills > bike handling skills.
oh sweet thanks for the info I didn't know that.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar

That's good to know. I case the first little step-up in the rhythm section all the time and live through it. :biggrin: The 6-pack on the final straight at our track has funky lips. Kind of like:

...../\____/\.............../\____/\.............../\____/\
__/.............\______/..............\______/.............\

I always feel like I'm going to get bucked on those. That kind of freaks me out. I know with enough speed I'd clear it and it wouldn't be a problem but there is always this little voice that says "what if?" It's kind of all or nothing. If the lips on the backside of the jumps were a level table I'd have no problem.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Went out with the Frito Bandito and Collin today. Damn if riding there isn't as much, if not more of an endurance sport then genocide, or at least soccer. I think I did about 10 laps total, with long time rest in the middle.

However, if we did that not once, but twice a week through out the winter, we might be something to reckon next season.

zerossix

Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Arlington, VA
thats what i'm saying mang. i'm definitley gunna try to get out there atelast twice a week. mark me down for one for this week haha. up for wednesday? if we dont dig before hand i may even go to the gyme with ya afterwards.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I might be able to slide the fat around some more on Wednesday. It might be better to get going earlier if possible though.

Bandito and I are going to go back to Youdaho tomorrow if time allows, want to get that tree done and the new step down in place. from there I think it might be time to get some stone or carpet and start riding.

zerossix

Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Arlington, VA
i'm kinda busy all day tomorrow...less you wanna get out at like 9am. which....i dont so yeah. i keep thinking of more and more obsure ways to makethat roll in. perhaps dig it out...put in a sheet of ply wood....cover it back up with good dirt , golden. or i've thought about diggingi it out some, kinda terracing it, and covering that with alot of good dirt.. we then gotta keep people off it for a while for it to harden. then it cant be walked on at all otherwsie it'll get ruined. i'm thinking either carpet or a wooden roll in. by wooden roll in i just mean a peice of sh!tty ply wood that no one would wanna steal. i dunno we'll discuss further later. gimme a ring tomorrow.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I will keep building down the line from where we ended today if the Bandito's leg can hold up. Last time we jumped at the Switch there were several casualities. B with her body all lumped up, Bandito with a bent under knee that's turning into something more serious, and me without my shoes.

I'm telling you, eccstones are the way

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
According to that webpage its in Maryland.
Were you trying out humor, or did I miss the bananna boat all together here?
Severn, MD - between Baltimore and Annapolis. I wasn't trying to be funny. I think you must have hit your head when you fell out of the boat, banana or otherwise.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Damn boat, this is why I never got off, just like they told me in Apocalypse Now. Never get off the boat, never...

Is there anything other then HST around in the Hampton Roads area? I have kind of a hit and miss relationship with that place, and I just like to not have to drive the tunnel in the afternoons. Then again, I'd prefer to never have to drive the tunnel.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
no its the only place around here that has a track. i did a search for the stuff like a week ago and it was the only one that was even remotely close. the next closest one i think is in richmond.

zerossix

Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Arlington, VA
gotta get yoru brazillian done?

yeah dan said hes down cept he has class at 2 so hes gotta jet round 115-130ish i'd assume so yeah that works. your not tryin to swing by here and pick us chumps up are ya? it is infact on the way....