Quantcast

who is going to windrock?

pimpwiser

Chimp
Mar 29, 2008
hey guys, i am new to ridemonkey and dont know anyone here.
I also asked on mtbr about anyone is going to windrock, and they suggested i come here and post my question here, so that is what i did.
I think im kinda late to post this question.
so is there anyone going to windrock tomorrow this sunday???
i really want to try out my downhill bike for my 1st time on real dh trails to get the feel. And yes, im new to dhing with no real experience...

pimpwiser

Chimp
Mar 29, 2008
ok, i will be down there then.... What gear will i need, i got full body amor that can cover me from head to toe...?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
If pimpwiser is Zack, then he was out there yesterday and I think he had a good time. While he was new at DHing he did everything right for a first timer. He walked what he couldn't ride and took it good and safe. I think everyone welcomes him back.

huckaduck

Chimp
Mar 23, 2008
Scruffy city
Zaki Has been a customer of ours for a while, he has wanted to go to windrock for soooo long, i really appreciate you guys taking the time to show him around, ride with him, that is so awesome! I cant wait to go now! :clapping: As far as it being a bad idea, that is all we really have here to ride for a real downhill, we were talking yesterday at chickasaw about how the trails around knoxville arent really conducive to begginers, like haw ridge and concord, but they teach you how to ride. we are very lucky to have windrock, and if it starts growing like i think it is, we will be seeing some fantastic kids developing as fast as hell racers. Profro, is the AMBC going to do a race at the rock? coal creek needs to buy an old ski lift from europe and put it in there, that would be awesome.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Trucks shuttles are WAY faster than lifts. We can get 4-5 runs an hour out of truck. I don't know of a lift assisted mountain that can match that for the same given vert.

As far as beginner trails, Concord, Haw, Norris, and IC are beginner trails. There might be few trails at Haw that would be a little over a beginners head, but if my wife can ride at the above places (and she does) then I consider them beginner.

What we don't have in this area is advanced XC trails.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Trucks shuttles are WAY faster than lifts. We can get 4-5 runs an hour out of truck. I don't know of a lift assisted mountain that can match that for the same given vert.
I think the Diablo lift might be faster if there isn't a line.

Is the 4-5 runs an hour all the way to the waterfall? I can't imagine it is to the top. Either way, you get a ton of riding in at Windrock in a short amount of time. Very few people (if any) from out of town could ride all day without breaks. Some places (like Plattekill) I could ride all day since the 30 minutes in line plus a 20 minute chair ride is a pretty good break.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I think the Diablo lift might be faster if there isn't a line.

Is the 4-5 runs an hour all the way to the waterfall? I can't imagine it is to the top. Either way, you get a ton of riding in at Windrock in a short amount of time. Very few people (if any) from out of town could ride all day without breaks. Some places (like Plattekill) I could ride all day since the 30 minutes in line plus a 20 minute chair ride is a pretty good break.
I said for given vert. Diablo vert. < Windrock vert.

4-5 is from the DH start, half way up. You can only do about 1 run per hour on the Windmill.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
As far as beginner trails, Concord, Haw, Norris, and IC are beginner trails. There might be few trails at Haw that would be a little over a beginners head, but if my wife can ride at the above places (and she does) then I consider them beginner.

This particular Dougite agrees with Profro.

Anymore beginner than what we currently have and the roadies will out gnar the local mtn. bikers.

seabass

Chimp
Aug 30, 2002
knoxville, tn

Not sure I really follow that logic. I can't think of any XC place my wife couldn't ride. Since we all ride ALOT and have fairly decent skills maybe we've lost sight of how a beginner really views a trail.

Anytime I've sent first timers to Haw Ridge they usually come back and describe the entrance as some insurmountable obstacle that they barely made it through alive! Yet guys like you and I don't even think about it.

I remember going to Haw Ridge and viewing the Hill of Truth as a miniature Everest that required several rest stops during it's ascent. Now I do it several times during one visit on a bike with no gears.

I guess I'm just saying it's all about perspective and we need to keep in mind that we are viewing trails through expert eyes.

What would be an example of a advanced XC trail?

GotMyGED

Monkey
Mar 29, 2006
Knoxville
I have a hard time considering Haw Ridge a beginner riding area. There are several areas which are sketchy for beginners.

The drop in on West Shore, the single board creek crossings, HOT are some examples, all of which require some riding skill.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I guess I'm just saying it's all about perspective and we need to keep in mind that we are viewing trails through expert eyes.

What would be an example of a advanced XC trail?
As I said, my wife has ridden a mountain bike less than a total of 20 times. I'd say that still qualifies her as beginner. She has ridden Haw by herself. How does that qualify Haw, if not beginner?

I'd say Laurel to Pilot in Pisgah, or Lone (pre-hurricane), or Trails 3-Rail Buggy-39 in Windrock are what I consider advanced. In summary, some thing with 1000+ foot climbs and descents, 10+ mile single trail (no spider web mix and match) and old Walden Ridge Power Line type descent section or two: maybe I'll make it, maybe I won't.

With the loss of Walden, Saddle and Lone (since the Forest Service has been bull dozing everything), this area has lost just about every advanced trail we used to have. Pretty sad.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
I have a hard time considering Haw Ridge a beginner riding area. There are several areas which are sketchy for beginners.

The drop in on West Shore, the single board creek crossings, HOT are some examples, all of which require some riding skill.
Mountain biking is tough and I think we have lost sight of that fact. As a rider you are responsible for your skill level. Maybe instead of worrying about the number of beginner trails a new rider should just get out there and work for it, heaven forbid you might have to walk. That's what we all did back in the day and what we all do from time to time. Remember?

*Sorry for the hijacking.

huckaduck

Chimp
Mar 23, 2008
Scruffy city
wow this is funny, thanks for showing the kid around, and i hope you guys are so gracious to me when i get a chance to come out and ride, when are you thinking of doing a work day? after hastie? that seems like a great way to get to know the place is to work on the trails.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
And He Has Spoken!!!!! The "Dougites" Will Fallow!!!!!

:imstupid::cheers:
Main Entry: 1fal·low
Pronunciation: \&#712;fa-(&#716;)l&#333;\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English falow, from Old English fealu; akin to Old High German falo pale, fallow, Latin pall&#275;re to be pale, Greek polios gray
Date: before 12th century
: of a light yellowish-brown color :clapping:

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Main Entry: 1fal·low
Pronunciation: \&#712;fa-(&#716;)l&#333;\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English falow, from Old English fealu; akin to Old High German falo pale, fallow, Latin pall&#275;re to be pale, Greek polios gray
Date: before 12th century
: of a light yellowish-brown color :clapping:
Sorry, no one wants to be a Bizutchite!!!!!:biggrin:

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
It takes more than mere hucking to become a Dougite.

A Dougite must abandon hope and submit all cognitive thought over to the supreme being, in addition to the requisite DH frame.