Quantcast

Who is going where for next year. E-speculation at its best

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
All this stuff is funny…especially how when you see how 'lazy' MOST DHers are, regardless of what country. It aint a country thing, its a DH thing.

limitedslip

Monkey
Jul 11, 2007
Don't get me started on these lazy Americans. You know they only take week long surfing vacations? Why not a month or more? So lazy! And the way they spend hundreds of extra dollars to not stay in run down shacks on their vacations is sooooo lazy. And why wouldn't they want to spend 10 hours a day surfing? What could possibly be better than that? Lazing around a resort with your friends? So Lazy!

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I'm not american, but this america-bashing is a little bizzare. Maybe you can answer me this: has the US ever, in the last 30 years, placed lower than 3rd in the medal counts at any Olympics? (summer and winter?). You don't get those kinds of results from being lazy. Here's a thought, maybe dh-ing isn't popular among the competitive people (people with competitive personalities) because there isn't much competition in which to showcase their talents...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm not american, but this america-bashing is a little bizzare. Maybe you can answer me this: has the US ever, in the last 30 years, placed lower than 3rd in the medal counts at any Olympics? (summer and winter?). You don't get those kinds of results from being lazy. Here's a thought, maybe dh-ing isn't popular among the competitive people (people with competitive personalities) because there isn't much competition in which to showcase their talents...
to compete at the top level in any sport/activity is basically a job that doesn't really allow much time for other jobs. The money just isn't there in DH. Think about it in terms of risk/reward...

dhr-racer

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
A, A
how about we get off what country is more awesome at dh big balls arms race and get back to the topic of whos going where :rolleyes:

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
If you were wondering why there's so little interest in competitive DH these days, look no further than this thread. Way to advance the dialogue within the sport!

THUMBS UP!

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
Not to kick a dead horse too many times, but in my experience, one of the biggest things I've noticed in the US is that mountainbikes simply aren't cool, and most riding spots are illegal (probably related) because of the litigious realities of the US that makes liability a huge problem. It makes it hard for younger riders to get into it when none of their friends are into it, and when it's hard as hell to find decent trails to ride. That is changing in recent years, but that is how it was for me. I was literally the only person in my high school that was into mountainbiking after grade 10 (when everyone gets their drivers licenses), and I only learned where good trails were locally after years of stair hucks and greenbelt shredding. I think that's the same reason why there are so many filthy bmxers and MXers in the US, kids are into it and there are plenty of good legal places to ride (not as much for MX outside of Cali).

And one other huge element is the lack of universal health-care. I know plenty of guys that quit riding once they were no longer on the parents' plans. It's hard to get a job in the US that provides healthcare or that pays enough to be able to buy it on your own. This is the primary reason for the liability problem we have in the US that those of you in other countries don't have. If you get hurt in the US, you're f*cked, so many feel they gotta sue to survive, and the others get sue-happy because everyone else is doing it. I know from close friends that it is much harder to sue a landowner in Canada if you get hurt riding their land than it is in the US, and in most of Europe it's nearly impossible.

When I was in Europe, NZ and even Canada, regular people know what downhill bikes are and where you can go ride them. In fact, at every town we rolled into in NZ, even old people would tell us where the downhill track was and what it was like. Much, much different than the US where most people think that a DH bike is a p*ssy MX bike with no engine.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I was literally the only person in my high school that was into mountainbiking after grade 10 (when everyone gets their drivers licenses)
i was the only person in my school that rode too, even with 1500 kids there. i got my one friend into riding towards junior year, but he only rode sporadically.

small grass roots programs i think would help some. even if they are at local hills with trucks as shuttles.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Just put a Mcdonalds at the trailhead and US MTB participation will go through the roof.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I put it down to Americans being pussies and can't hack the pace like us foreigners.

:D

JK. But as for the remark of USA sitting around the top 3 in olympics, I guess the other 2 are supercountries with millions of people to enter too.
The old saying "if you throw enough sh1t at it, some of it has to stick" may fit here.
You guys dominate loads of other sports like baseball, American football and basketball... Sports that no one else in the world plays...
NTTAWWT.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I put it down to Americans being pussies and can't hack the pace like us foreigners.

JK. But as for the remark of USA sitting around the top 3 in olympics, I guess the other 2 are supercountries with millions of people to enter too.
The old saying "if you throw enough sh1t at it, some of it has to stick" may fit here.
You guys dominate loads of other sports like baseball, American football and basketball... Sports that no one else in the world plays...
NTTAWWT.
It all stems from a passion with bikes version a passion with cars. Americans are obsessed with cars. Reading and hearing so much about people being able to take train trips everywhere in Europe made me curious about them here.

So I got online and looked all over the place for good ways to access a rail system. Even if you lived in 1 of 2 major cities in my state, it would suck to take the train.

In Europe, you probably couldn't even take a good dump before you got to the next country by train. Here...good lord.

Anybody in the US found a way to use a rail system to access riding?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

NTTAWWT.
you've obviously never heard of this island called Japan

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Speaking of Gwin, isn't his 2 year contract up?

Anyone know where he's training this winter? Word on the street sez he didn't appreciate the CO winter. What did he think it was gonna be like? SoCal?

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Japan and Cuba don't really fall into the DH limelight much either huh?

Wait... You don't think that could be the reason do you?

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
I hope Gwin doesnt go to santa cruz. Id really like to see him stay with yeti. They have such an american rich history. It would be cool to see him stay and get some wins next year.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
It all stems from a passion with bikes version a passion with cars. Americans are obsessed with cars. Reading and hearing so much about people being able to take train trips everywhere in Europe made me curious about them here.

So I got online and looked all over the place for good ways to access a rail system. Even if you lived in 1 of 2 major cities in my state, it would suck to take the train.

In Europe, you probably couldn't even take a good dump before you got to the next country by train. Here...good lord.

Anybody in the US found a way to use a rail system to access riding?
The passion for cars is always funny because it ends with the first turn ;) Somehow the series with lots of them arent dominated by US either ;)

As for train system - with high speed trains its mostly a prestigous thing. They cost the same as planes anyway.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
The passion for cars is always funny because it ends with the first turn ;) Somehow the series with lots of them arent dominated by US either ;)

As for train system - with high speed trains its mostly a prestigous thing. They cost the same as planes anyway.
Was refering to the fact people in Europe can take their bike to the train and the train to the mountain or elsewhere. In the US, you buy a car if you want to so much as go down the street. Bikes aren't a priority for Whoppermericuh.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Prestige? Maybe. It certainly is more convenient to go from town center to town center, rather than to the airport, check-in, security, wait & all that bs.

MFrider

Monkey
Jul 10, 2009
The East
I hope Gwin doesnt go to santa cruz. Id really like to see him stay with yeti. They have such an american rich history. It would be cool to see him stay and get some wins next year.
Gwin will not be on a Yeti, wish he would, but they seem to have become a stepping stone team. Think of all the riders in the past 20 years that rode for them and then went on. As long as Yeti keeps a WC team going and it helps develop the sport, then I will not complain, they are great for DH.