Quantcast

Who is riding N* on Friday?

Bullit21

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Socal
Anyone going next Friday the 19th? I grew up in Walnut Creek but now live in Socal and am making the trip up next weekend.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Or maybe after every 4th run I did, you were finally going up for your second. ;)

P.S. I smashed the waterfal yesterday. Was fricikin' awesome!

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I was on a Yeti 303 with a 888WC, hot pink Straitline pedals and pink bits of King joy.

I'll be back on Friday. Gosh darn I had a good time this weekend.

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Man, I'm sore. :)
I can't wait to get back in late July.

That last jump at gypsy was a rude awakening at mach 1 for a non-jumper for sure.
Great times.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Brian, I might be up there again in two weeks (if I can swing it with the wifey. We'll see.). Can you ride on Fridays? I'm thinking about taking a Friday off and mobbing up there, but I'd need to split gas/a room with someone or maybe 2-3 other someones for the Friday night. Otherwise, even doing a daytrip up from San Jose by myself is just too expensive.

Next time, though. We'll mob lower Karpiel and the waterfall together. That trail now, officially, makes me happy in my pants. But I hate Sticks and Stones. Not a fan.

Last edited:

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
But I hate Sticks and Stones. Not a fan.
I don't think I'm a fan too but it was ok. I saw someone ate sh*t at boondock's log "gap" jump near the bottom. I think the dude freaked out from the nasty braking bumps before the lip. Cased the front wheel and....

hey awholelota, I have a medium M6 to sell as frame or complete bike. :)
orvenz@gmail.com

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Yeah, that jump on Boonies right before you cross the fireroad isn't so bad, but the log step downs (each about 1' or 2' tall) that follow that jump are horribly built and super sketch.

I saw a kid on a blue/black Kona go down. Guess he came off crooked and a tree decided to tag him.

Those danged trees come out of nowhere!

Last edited:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Brian, I might be up there again in two weeks (if I can swing it with the wifey. We'll see.). Can you ride on Fridays? I'm thinking about taking a Friday off and mobbing up there, but I'd need to split gas/a room with someone or maybe 2-3 other someones for the Friday night. Otherwise, even doing a daytrip up from San Jose by myself is just too expensive.

Next time, though. We'll mob lower Karpiel and the waterfall together. That trail now, officially, makes me happy in my pants. But I hate Sticks and Stones. Not a fan.
I'm planning a day trip Friday the 3rd of July. That will be my next venture up there.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Are the log step downs new or something? I don't remember anything after the jump before the fire road there last year...
They're not 'step downs'. They're just logs layed accross the trail to slow down people who might not be paying attention so that they don't haul out into the access road for the hotel construction vehicles.

More of an issue when that section was built since there was a lot more activity and the mountain was open midweek.

Edit: and most people have no problem just hopping over them or sucking them up at speed.....so you may not have even noticed them.

Last edited:

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
I found them rough and ill placed, but that's just my opinion. I understand their intended purpose, and their purpose was served. It slows you down before the fire road, but by no means does it slow you down enough to keep you from colliding with utility trucks or other riders who have stopped on the fire road. I had no issue whatsoever navigating them, but I saw plenty of people eat it pretty good right there because they're just unexpected with no lip, no smooth transition, etc. They're just rough and, in my opinion, unnecessary.

Needless to say, if after hitting all the amazing trails those two little droppy-things on Boondocks were my only gripe, I had a fantastic weekend. And Boondocks is my favorite trail, hands down.

That's all.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Needless to say, if after hitting the waterfall a few times those two little "step-downs" were my only gripe, I had a fantastic weekend. :D
Definitely.

I get a kick out of northstar freaking out over a little double (making it shorter, filling it in etc.), calling it dangerous........and then having dog bone open top to bottom.

Irony indeed.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
They're not 'step downs'. They're just logs layed accross the trail to slow down people who might not be paying attention so that they don't haul out into the access road for the hotel construction vehicles.
That explains it. I was trying to figure out how they managed to fit more jumps in before the fire road.

I didn't realize you were supposed to slow down there though, good thing there was no construction equipment cruising through there whenever I came down because I probably would have ended up as a hood ornament on some guy's Caterpillar. :busted:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
That explains it. I was trying to figure out how they managed to fit more jumps in before the fire road.

I didn't realize you were supposed to slow down there though, good thing there was no construction equipment cruising through there whenever I came down because I probably would have ended up as a hood ornament on some guy's Caterpillar. :busted:

Here's the thing though. A better (faster) rider is more likely to be aware of a truck in his peripheral vision while eyeing the trail ahead. A less experienced rider has his laser beams on his front tire.

It all works out.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Here's the thing though. A better (faster) rider is more likely to be aware of a truck in his peripheral vision while eyeing the trail ahead. A less experienced rider has his laser beams on his front tire.

It all works out.
wait... you guys open your eyes through the scary stuff?!?!?

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants

It all works out.
And I think that's one of the main concerns that the peeps at N* have to keep in mind. Lots of novice, inexperienced, or just plain ol' first-time riders out there renting bikes and not really knowing what they're getting themselves into.

A few little hiccups to slow down the lesser-experienced riders is fine by me. Northstar was AWESOME this past weekend.