Quantcast

Who is the oldest person to race in a sanctioned,pro DH race?

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
I raced for about 15 years before finally calling it a day around 5 years ago, I definitely lost the drive to do well, that was partly down to injury but more than that it was down to lack of concentration, Technically I'm still as good a rider as I ever was (as good as many riders half my age) and am still improving skills wise in some respects . . . .
I am in a similar boat as of this year. I started DH at about age 45 and have progressed in my skillset each year. I honestly think I am faster and can go bigger than I could 5 years ago (I am 56 now). But two serious injuries this year have had me re-evaluating whether or not to continue racing; and I'm beginning to wonder if, finally, my willingness to hang it out 'a little bit more' to capture that extra second or two might finally be outstripping my reaction time to correct from a mistake. I'm afraid to have to admit that I may be over the cusp of being competitive on a national level anyway in my age group.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
No,my skillset progress is flat,has been flat and most likely will remain flat barring a sudden monetary influx or loss of current set of priorities.
That's a shame, I actually hardly ride pure DH anymore (prob one w/e a month) but am able to ride every day (some days more than once) switching between, hardtail, BMX and road bike so that keeps the skills sharp even just riding locally where terrain is fairly flat.

Minor threat - compared to you at 41 I'm just a young pup, I know I'd still do ok in (UK) vets at national level if I were to race (on a good day I'll still occasionally time myself for a run and being a big geek I have compared times with the guys would have raced against) but without the competitive drive I once had I just don't really see the point.

UK ex-pro Crawford Carrick Anderson (remember him?) is the same age as me and will occasionally turn up at a Scottish national (on a borrowed DH bike) and obliterate the entire vet field by Danny hart/kovarik margins, he's still race fit from racing Enduros (MTB and moto) too.