Quantcast

Who is your favorite old school MTB'r?

May 12, 2006
Huntington Beach, CA
What about Dave Cullinan? He was sick!! I remember seeing him do a nac-nac in a dual slalom race at Deer Valley many years ago when only Jeremy Mcgrath was doing nac-nacs at the time. Talk about prgressive! Cully rocks!!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
kidwoo said:
Ask the ranger you come accross on the singletrack on Tam.

They know the most.

Route is still TBD but chances are good we'll end up on part of Repack at some point. You know, THE BIRTHPLACE OF MOUNTAIN BIKE RACING. We'll get this settled once and for all. :rolleyes:

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Johnny T.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he race DH, DS, and XC on the same bike of his own design and do quite well in all 3? I think I remember that happening.

I hate shaun palmer. Natural athlete, sure. Came out of nowhere and tore up snowboarding and downhill. Still a cocky bastard who contributed very little to the sport. My opinion, like him if you want.

L

luelling

Snacks said:
If he is old school then I'm old (pretty crummy at 24). I say Tomac and Furtado. I remember when Tomac almost doubled at worlds in DH and XC. I believe it was a win in XC and second in DH. We will never see a racer that could do both events so well in our time.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
OGRipper said:
I'm doing a night ride in Marin tonight and will ask.

Well I asked a few different people but they proved unreliable sources for information on who invented the mountain bike - I really don't think it was Chuck Norris. :rolleyes: :mad:

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Nobody's mentioned Missy. I guess she's really not that OS since she just officially retired in '03-'04, but she sure has been around for a while.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
OGRipper said:
Well I asked a few different people but they proved unreliable sources for information on who invented the mountain bike - I really don't think it was Chuck Norris. :rolleyes: :mad:

Not who invented the mountain bike.......who invented mountan BIKING. It's a much dumber question who's answer can't be found in anything quantitative.

It said who the first company to use the term mountain bike in an issue of Bike a while back........can't remember......may have have been gary fisher.......

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
kidwoo said:
Not who invented the mountain bike.......who invented mountan BIKING. It's a much dumber question who's answer can't be found in anything quantitative.
Dang. Well with the motley bunch I rode with last night the answer probably would have been the same.

Missy is up there.

Nobody mentioned Victor Vincente of America either.

http://www.vva2020.com/

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
jdschall said:
Nobody's mentioned Missy. I guess she's really not that OS since she just officially retired in '03-'04, but she sure has been around for a while.

You beat me to the punch. She's definitely my #1 because she's one of the riders who inspired me to start downhilling :D

As for men, Tinker is still one of my favorites. Incredibly nice (and modest). Almost knocked over his bike once too :eek:

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
I didn't really have any respect for Missy as a rider until I saw her place 5 or 6 in the pro field at the street crit during Cactus Cup in '95? She's not one of my favs, but the fact that she, a pro dh'r, blew away all those other pro XC'rs put her up a notch in my book.