Quantcast

Who makes a small enough bike?

lunendan

Chimp
Jul 7, 2007
A friend of mine recently joined us at Highland and had an awesome time. She rode my old Cannondale super v 1000, medium or small, not sure, and liked riding but definately needed something smaller. Better brakes and susp too. She found a small(seller claimed)specialized big hit for small $ but still felt it was too big. I measured it, top tube from center of steer tube/stem to center of seat clamp was 21" and seat clamp to crank spindle 17.5". Seemed like a medium to me.Does anyone make a very small bike? She is 5'0" x 110lbs. She feels more comfortable on a bmx. Maybe someone out there makes a xs w/24" wheels? Anyone have any info? Much obliged.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
transition makes an x-small covert, check giants out too, a friends wife who is 5ft also has an intense 5.5. my brothers wife has a small giant warp and she is 5ft 1in. older warp's should be easy enough to find and cheap, prolly need some up grades though.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
i think turner makes an x-small, but im not 100 percent on that one. i just seem to remember an extremely small girl ridding for them and it was on an x-small. although custom swd would be awsome, and a bottle rocket would prolly be perfect for her due to the lighter weight and better flickablitly of it. just my thoughts on the subject.

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
bottlerockets are too heavy in my opinion, the covert with a nice light built would probably work great, the warp on budget is not bad, my wife rides hers and fits good, custom built for under 1grand, its not super light build but i am not worried about her breaking it, and with a 7" fork (voids warranty but she isn't hitting any drops/big jumps) the HA is pretty good, has good stand over aswell. i'll dig up a pic of her riding it. the next bike i want her to test ride is definately a covert, though the 5.5 will be test ridden aswell. remember your numbers and her body don't always mesh, so try and get her to test ride as many bikes as possible!! and take down geometry if possible.

good luck!
Pete

missingLink

Chimp
Apr 14, 2006
What kind of riding will she be doing mostly? how much travel does she want/need? what's her budget? There are plenty of choices out there now. weight and geometry will be an important factor.

Here are just a few options that haven't been mentioned yet.
Titus motolite xs (5" of travel)
Turner flux xs(4")
Jamis dakar 13"(5")
giant trance xs (4")
giant reign xs(6")

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
santa cruz juliana
The XS Juliana is the smallest full suspension 26" wheeled bike I have ever seen. The top tube is very short. I am sure it would fit a 5' tall woman or maybe be too small. Anyway, one of the Juliana frame sizes would work well for XC or as a "trail bike" for a small woman.

What is she going to do with it? For DH, one of the girls on my team is 5'3" and rides a small V10. The seat tube is really short on that frame. Her best bet is to try to get to a race with you and try out some frames.

Let me know if your going to be at Snowshoe for any races. Or, we'll be at Plattekill for the October race. I can try to borrow the Juliana and we will have an assortment of SC bikes with including every size of V10.

Froggy

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
New Fairfield, CT
Morewood Shova LT in a small...just built one for 14yr old that's 5'2 and 110lbs...come by the Morewood tent and check it out at the Mt Snow nationals this weekend

lunendan

Chimp
Jul 7, 2007
Thanks for the info guys. Some of these bikes I had not heard of yet. As far as riding style it will be some cross country but lots of lift riding/freeriding. Highland is going to be a very regular visit being only 1.5 hours away. So she is looking for a bike to do a variety of riding.
Pinkshirtphoto, do you have any info and pics of the warp you want to sell?

Lunendan, my wife is 4'-11" and it has taken me many years to find frames that fit her properly. She rides and xs Intense 5.5 with a 50 mil stem for xc and it fits her great. For DH she rides an Intense M3 size small. It's a little big for her but it's the best fitting frame I have found, and she has ridden them all.

If you are looking for a do it all bike I have an xs Titus Quasin Moto hanging on my garage wall. It's not in use and I would be more than happy to part with it. It has adjustable travel 4.5 to 6" and maybe a good alternative. Let me know if you are interested and I can give you more info.