Quantcast

Who makes the 40's Ti spring?

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
What company makes the Ti springs for the Fox 40? I can't find any aftermarket Ti fork springs so I'm searching for a manufacturer. I want 4.4 kg/cm springs for a WP fork (it's on a KTM).

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
Thanks. I wrote them an email asking who makes that spring.
The aftermarket Ti springs that Go-Ride have/had were made by Renton Coil Spring about three years ago and I don't believe have been done since. They were something Go-Ride tryed and did'nt sell well. Ti springs in forks just don't save you much weight if any. They might provide a slight different feel. It's do to the restricted envelope that the spring works in and that if they are not coated with something they will cause more wear. Ti is very abrasive. How ever the Go-Ride Ti springs may provide a rate that is not available thru FOX.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
It's do to the restricted envelope that the spring works in and that if they are not coated with something they will cause more wear.
You hit the nail on the head. I just got off the phone with Diverse, the makers of Fox's stock Ti spring, and they said that no one makes Ti springs for production dirtbike forks because there isn't enough room between the fork tube and cartridge for the thicker Ti coils. Diverse does make them for the larger tubed works fork (which is avilable to the public for like $5,000) but he said they don't have a long life because they are still limited in thickness.

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
tried them yesterday looking for a ti spring for my dhx. phone number on the website is out of service?
They would not have anything in stock any how. Majority of there buisness is aerospace and things are built for preplaced orders.

Matchew

Monkey
May 26, 2006
NH / Mass (ugh)
Do you guys replace Ti springs after a couple seasons? My 40 was making a squeaking sound during compression and when I pulled it apart the Med Ti spring I had in there had snapped off on the plunger shaft. I'm poor right now so it was replaced with a steel spring.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
The marketing on Ti springs is that they hold their spring rate longer and take more cycles to break than steel springs. However, your's isn't the first story of a broken Ti spring that I've heard. The Renton Spring on my DHX has 7 seasons on it and I'm gonna hold them to their marketing by expecting it to last until I get a frame with a longer shock.