Quantcast

Who makes the widest direct-mount stems?

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Bars are getting wider, but clamp areas don't seem to be. I've never noticed stem flex as a real detriment to performance, but nevertheless, I'm curious.

Based on my limited research, the Answer stem for the Boxxer mount looks the widest. I have no actual measurements to back this up however. The Canfield stem also looks pretty wide.

Anyone else know or have any REAL data?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
The Deity fantom is pretty wide and a larger more stout clamping area... Thats the reason I dropped the twenty6 stem. 235lbs and 31" bars cranking on them is alot of force applied to the stem..

Ill snap a pic of it next to the twenty6, its pretty damn stout...

Bout time someone brings this up! :thumb:

Quote:I was just looking at the Deity stem today. It looks just as narrow as the Twenty6 or the Sunline stems (clamping area is contained between the two bolt rows). Again, looks narrow. No measurements to substantiate this.

The deity is 2" at where it counts and the whole thing as well as more solid size clamps to begin with, the twenty6 is right at 1 1/4 where it counts...

106g twenty6 DM stem
168g deity fantom DM
248g chromag 888 direct mount

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I was just looking at the Deity stem today. It looks just as narrow as the Twenty6 or the Sunline stems (clamping area is contained between the two bolt rows). Again, looks narrow. No measurements to substantiate this.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Good info, thanks.

Anyone have measurements for the Answer stem?

May as well get these all in one place.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
on the fantom stem, would anything prevent you from switching the pieces so that the clamping area was OUTSIDE of the boxxer directmount bolts instead of to the inside? that would seem to give you a larger clamping width....

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Check this out.

I've got a prototype of one of these and the clamping width is 2.5". I think what he's going into production with is actually wider, but they'll be at least that width.

Company's called marrow. I could probably put you in touch with the guy making them if you're interested. I'm riding a 'true zero rise' one he made and have been digging it.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Check this out.

I've got a prototype of one of these and the clamping width is 2.5". I think what he's going into production with is actually wider, but they'll be at least that width.

Company's called marrow. I could probably put you in touch with the guy making them if you're interested. I'm riding a 'true zero rise' one he made and have been digging it.
Thats great now we just have to be able to ride like you to appreciate it...:thumb:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The e13 stem was so widely spaced that I had to toss it in favor of something that could effectively clamp the appropriate area on my bars. I guess the the taper started where the clamping area was...beh.

Sunline clamps fine....32" bars and no problems, I don't think...

ScarredOne

Monkey
Sep 18, 2001
I just measured my Chromag Box stem, and it's a c-hair under 2.5" wide. Its the most confidence inspiring design I could find, especially with the barclamp. Some might still be around, but the Box is discontinued due to weight weenies.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
Answer

Tilt ya head

edit: I don't think is useful though, its on a Fox.

Last edited:

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I have see this suggested before, only now have I seen how much wider that makes the clamping area, probably too wide for a riser but makes sense with the flat

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Syncros Lo-Ball clamp area is as wide as the outboard edges of the mount bolt heads:

Edit: Measured last night and it's 57mm wide, plus the cap flares out a bit across the middle to make it 60mm; so basically 2⅜". Plus it's a true zero-rise.

= fail. Dial caliper (in this case, digital caliper), or if you want to be fancy, Vernier calipers.
Fail. There would be a vernier to read if it were a Vernier caliper. There's an LCD display window where the verniers would be :).

Last edited:

bogusbill

Chimp
Oct 16, 2009
Check this out.

It's measures out at 2.300", We started at 2.5" but found that the bulged clamping surface of various bars was maxed at that width and that a void was created on the bottom side of the bar at the outside of the clamping surface on bars with more than .5" of rise. We wanted to have maximum contact to avoid bar slippage, we were also concerned with a smaller, uneven contact area creating a stress point on the bars. These prototypes have been being tested in the field for 4+ months without one instance of failure, or concern of performance. I have also bounced 450lbs of weight downward at a 45 deg angle from the bar repetitivley with no signs of slippage, cracking, breaking, etc. .The protos will be returned for X-Ray inspection before production begins. We will be offering them in 50mm standard zero, true zero, and a negative 8mm rise and should be available this fall.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
The Answer "0 one" stem will be out to public after interbike.
-20mm rise
50mm and 55mm adjustable length
about 5 grams heavier then current Answer DH stem.
clamping feet will be polished
face plates will come in black and white

Here is a crappy cell picture of the current prototype I've been riding since april.

The production one is much slimmer/refined and lower too.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I ended up going with the Deity stem. With the Deity BlackLabel bar, there is a wide enough area at the center of the bar for the stem to be run backwards (basically much much wider clamping width - around 3.25"). Looks MUCH more balanced with the 31" bars up front that way.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I ended up going with the Deity stem. With the Deity BlackLabel bar, there is a wide enough area at the center of the bar for the stem to be run backwards (basically much much wider clamping width - around 3.25"). Looks MUCH more balanced with the 31" bars up front that way.
The black label bars are very nice, dont know if you went the fantom stem but its as solid as it looks. Theres less flex in the front then the twenty6 and the dirtythirtys...

Very nice smokin combo...

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Yeah, the Deity Fantom stem. Both bars and stem black - good looking combo for sure.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Yeah, the Deity Fantom stem. Both bars and stem black - good looking combo for sure.
Yeah black on black will be nice both anodized with a nice finish... pics when installed. Id like to see that color combo on them...
Im a gorilla up top and the set is definently stiff which is nice... Obviousley as much as a 30"+ bar can be but the clamping area being wider makes for alot less as well....