Quantcast

who sells brand new cars for like 7 grand?

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
At 7k, buy a used japanese (honda or toyota) base model that is still under plenty of warranty.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
The focus is an awesome car. It is widely held to have fantastic handling and be one of the most satisfying cars to drive out there. Prolly a little more than 7K though.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
it's not like we don't make money, it just goes to higher prioritys such as house payment, the new furnace we need to get installed, the kitchen floor we just had installed (when my car still ran..), etc...

I realize I probably sound like on of the people that say, "I want a full suspension bike, that's light and under $300.00. it has to be really light and good too..." haha.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Changleen said:
The focus is an awesome car. It is widely held to have fantastic handling and be one of the most satisfying cars to drive out there. Prolly a little more than 7K though.
The US/CDN Focus sucks, its not the same version as the rest of the world. The closest you can come to it is the Mazda 3 here and I don't think a used one would be that cheap.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
syadasti said:
The US/CDN Focus sucks, its not the same version as the rest of the world. The closest you can come to it is the Mazda 3 here and I don't think a used one would be that cheap.
Our version is still relatively fun and practical, and thanks to the initial QC problems can be had REALLY cheap (you'll be shocked, those thing depreciated like Enron stock), but if cost of ownership is the first priority, you're better off with an less fun and probably older base-model toyota or honda

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
syadasti said:
Syadasti do you own a Focus?
Have you driven a Focus?
I am sure when you compare it to a 25K Subie or or a trick Jetta it sucks but for the money it is a great car, When I was buying mine the choices in this price range were Corolla( smaller and felt bouncy), Cavalier (felt cheap and slow handling), Honda civic (nice car no price breaks at the time though) and Dodge Neon (didn't like the way it handled at speed) I did not consider any of the korean ventures. I bought my Focus in 02' it has 51k on the speedo, I haven't had one lick of trouble from it, and it came pretty well equipt.
pwr windows, cruise, sunroof, leather steering wheel, 6 disc cd (in dash) sport suspension with low profile tires on 16" alum. wheels.
To this day this car is a Hoot to drive, I spent the last week driving our windstar, and I was so happy to drive my Focus this weekend,
yeah there are better cars out there but not in its price range

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
SkaredShtles said:
Your best bet is a low mileage used Toyota Tercel, Echo, Honda Civic, or maybe even a Corolla.....

You'll get more useful life out of that kind of car than a bottom-of-the-barrel new car from Chevy, Kia, etc.
Agreed - You will actually get a much better used car for $7,000 than a new one. A new $7K car will be a major POS. (remember the $3,900 Yugos? ... with inflation, that would be more than $7k today.)

I'd recommend the Civic - Honda's are bulletproof, in my experience.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
MunkeeHucker said:
I am sure when you compare it to a 25K Subie or or a trick Jetta it sucks
Nah, I'd say a Focus beats either of those, especially the Jetta, in terms of ride at least, if not engineering quality.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
MunkeeHucker said:
Syadasti do you own a Focus?
Have you driven a Focus?
My cousin from upstate NY owns the focus wagon and I've driven the real (i.e. non-North American) Focus in New Zealand too. Ford likes to sell NA lower quality, uglier products - I guess most people in NA just have bad taste.

Another good example - North American Ford Freestyle - Ugly and underpowered (3.0L V6)

Rest of the world - Ford Territory - 4L V6. Better interior and exterior features, more available options