Quantcast

Who wants to go to Whistler???

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Well I got some good news and some bad news....

Bad news is my buddy just tore the tendons in his thumb while riding and needs surgery so he won't be able to make it to Whistler with us in July. We have two, two bedroom places reserved in the village at Stoney Creek's Northstar complex.

Good news is I have room in my 4Runner for 1 if not 2 people and we have plenty of lodging as well. If any monkeys are interested in coming along here are the details:

Leaving Santa Cruz July 9th (am), returning midday tuesday July 21st. I have calculated costs to be just over $1,000 USD per person for the entire trip. That includes 8 full days on the mountain including extended play for 4 of those days. That figure also includes food and lodging etc. I can PM with a full breakdown but I promise that my numbers are accurate. I did this same trip last summer with similar expenses.

So in short...

we load up in this...

to go do this...

So if anybody has questions hit me up...I gaurantee it will be the time of your life! :thumb:

FWIW: I have been driving for over a decade and have a clean and safe record to show for it.

RideND

Monkey
Nov 1, 2003
Mandan, ND
I know. It would be a dream to go to Whistler but I dont have the money to fly to Seattle and then to Whistler.

(Someday Whistler I will come and conquer thee.)

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
We've got a group of about 7 coming to Whistler from the DC area between July 8-17. If you see an Asian guy riding a Scream with a Chrissy Snow headbadge, that's me... :D

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Nice i'll be at whistler with a few monkies july 10 for 5 or so days. And july 10 is my 19th bday. Nothing like spending it in BC :) LEGAL DRINKING W00T!

[Edit:] Woop ill be with damienc so if you see a half asian with a bighit DH 04 super t riding with the weirdo with the banshee come say hi.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
oooooooooo I want to go!!! I live right over the hill in Menlo Park, and I think I can get the money, but now I need to convince the parents.... Don't count on me coming :( .

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
mobius said:
Nice i'll be at whistler with a few monkies july 10 for 5 or so days. And july 10 is my 19th bday. Nothing like spending it in BC :) LEGAL DRINKING W00T!

[Edit:] Woop ill be with damienc so if you see a half asian with a bighit DH 04 super t riding with the weirdo with the banshee come say hi.
2 most common bikes. Got anything else going for ya ;)...:D..

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
The Kadvang said:
oooooooooo I want to go!!! I live right over the hill in Menlo Park, and I think I can get the money, but now I need to convince the parents.... Don't count on me coming :( .
Keep me posted man. I have to do a first come first serve kinda thing but if you can pull it off, lemme know.

JoeRay

Monkey
Feb 19, 2004
In Squalor
No, don't do this to me. Its -3 outside, winter and I'm 12 nights into a 21 night stint on shift work.

Of course I'd love to go but......

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
JoeRay said:
No, don't do this to me. Its -3 outside, winter and I'm 12 nights into a 21 night stint on shift work.

Of course I'd love to go but......
jeeeezus man, what do you do? Check the sperm count of polar bears during hibernation in siberia?

JoeRay

Monkey
Feb 19, 2004
In Squalor
Summer in US and Canada, Winter in Australia; its one of those north hemisphere south hemisphere things.

Work for two weeks then have whole week off, seems fair sorta. Just doing a long block this time cause someone quit and I have to be onsite. Doesn't mean I have to work though!

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
O.K. Guys Toshi has stepped up and he and his super pimp Canfield F-1 will be joining us for Whistler...however there is most likely one more seat still available so I can keep some alternates available if anyone else in interested. I will know ASAP whether there is actually a seat or not...16 days and counting, I am starting to get excited!!!

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Burly,
If you can figure out a way to get up there, we have roof to put over your head and a ride back to anywhere along I-5 south...

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
If ya didn't live so far away I'd be gold for it. That's not bad $1000 for all because it was like $1500+ just to fly there for around the same time. That's just one long drive....

Gonz

Chimp
Feb 9, 2004
WA
... driving all the way from Cali ... I know Whistler is good, but considering how far you are driving, is it Whistler better than DH places closer to your home ? -Gonz (Seattle)

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Gonz, It is only an 18-20hr drive at speed limit and we plan to break it up into 1.5 days, Which I personally don't think is too bad. I have driven to Moab before straight through in 13hrs. last year we drove to Whistler, it was fun. There are no trails anywhere near here that are as good and I personally love road trips. Plus when you fly, you have to take care of transporting bikes and getting from YVR airport to Whistler and then you still don't have a car to get around in if you want to go to Pemberton or Squamish or the shore etc...I built my truck for road trips (bike racks nice stereo, supercharger etc.) and that's what I use it for! taken it to Baja, Telluride/Durango/Moab/Zion/Virgin/Vegas, all over Cali and now Whistler. Gotta love Toyota's, 150K and still going strong as day one.

Spunger, are you still going to Whistler at all? If so when?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Can't wait to get my car and build up my list of road trips but whistler is a little bit to far away so it will be Delta transport.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
CBJ said:
Can't wait to get my car and build up my list of road trips but whistler is a little bit to far away so it will be Delta transport.
as long as you get there...it doesn't matter how, have you been before?

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I'm thinkin about it still. You guys are leaving the day I am headed up to San Fransisco as a getaway with my girlfriend (I know I know). I thought about putting some road tires on the truck instead of swampers and heading up north for some riding. I think my truck would do fine, just not a road trip with swampers on it.

I'm leaving my current job July 2nd, and plan on catching up on some riding here and there when I can. Whistler is still an option. I wish I had my girlfriends Honda Civic to drive, I'd take road trips if I got more than 400 miles out of $60 in gas. N* might be as far as I make it this summer.

You never know though, I might have some $$$ comming that I don't know about, which will be nice and then trip here I come!

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
punkassean said:
as long as you get there...it doesn't matter how, have you been before?
Two times last year but that was with my HT as the DH bike was in transit from Europe so this year July 8-12 it will be with the 222, full face and Shuttle suit.

Raacerx

Monkey
punkassean said:
Keep me posted man. I have to do a first come first serve kinda thing but if you can pull it off, lemme know.
Hey, I had a trip planned for up there around that general time. If it coincides, want to caravan? I'd be starting from Santa Cruz too, but we would be staying at the northern most hostel there. Forget the name, some funny name, its where Ive gone the last couple times. $12 US a night with cable table, your own bathroom, and a good chance of foreign coeds. Are you doing the whole drive in 1 shot? Stopping off anywhere?

If your 4Runner can handle it, I'd be doing some wheeling up around there (Great Stuff!) as well. Ive still got to figure out how to carry 3 or 4 bikes because a roof rack dont work on my car and my spare tire is sort of in the way of a reciever hitch rack.

CraigH

Chimp
Jan 15, 2002
Vancouver, BC Canada
Raacerx said:
Hey, I had a trip planned for up there around that general time. If it coincides, want to caravan? I'd be starting from Santa Cruz too, but we would be staying at the northern most hostel there. Forget the name, some funny name, its where Ive gone the last couple times. $12 US a night with cable table, your own bathroom, and a good chance of foreign coeds.
Shoestring Lodge?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Not sure what you're planning or how old you guys are, but if you coordinate it so you spend the night anywhere near Portland, you MUST go to the Acropolis.

Do you like beer?

Do you like beef?

Do you like dem hot, friendly, nekkid womens?

Like 50 beers on tap, $12 gi-normous T-bones, and the cutest peelers ever. :thumb:

I know this is a family board, and I'm not much of a strip club kind of guy, but this has to be the ultimate spot for a road trip layover. Just bring some extra cash, you might be tempted to blow your whole budget in there!!

BTW, I drove up from SF last year, then flew this year, so I can compare. It was kind of a wash. Flying is faster, so that's the way to go if you don't have much time, but it was more expensive (esp with a car rental to get around up there), and when you drive it's easier to bring what you need. Plus when you fly you miss the Acropolis.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Roasted said:
2 most common bikes. Got anything else going for ya ;)...:D..
My bike has trailpimps...no no wait
I have a fox rc on it... no no wait
i wear a 04 blue mad max 2....no no wait
uhhh ****.

I'm half asian young my hair will be rockin 3 mohawks when i take off my helmet i have fuel motorsports gloves big F on them. and uhhh ill be throwing down? I runno. just forget it.. :p

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Roasted how far is pemberton from whistler? Is it good riding or any other local trails better? The riding in dropin looked real nice and me and a few of our group i know won't be riding the bike park everyday.

[EDIT:] Woop also, Intense 909 or Kenda Nevegal?

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
I like the nevegal. But I don't have experience with the other. Pemberton riding is different than whistler. Haven't been there but the trails are longer and steeper than our valley trails.

The nice thing about this corridor is the different in riding. If you are up for a road trip hit Squamish, Whistler mountain and pemberton (30-45min I think btw). 3 different terrains and riding.

If you want lots of info on pemberton, pm shootr, he lives there :)