Quantcast

Who wears padded shorts? Looking for a little hip protection...

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Looking for something with hip protection. Not looking for anything super fancy, just something to minimize the hip raspberries. Seems like any time I crash, I end up with road rash on the side of my hip, which sucks. Especially right now, when it's summer, hot, humid and I have to wear a uniform to work. I'm really just looking for some protection to save my skin.

I saw the Rockgardn ones, any other suggestions?

juanbeegas

Monkey
May 6, 2008
Singapore
My Fox Launch are pretty comfortable. Don't really notice them unless it's a particularly warm and humid day, then they tend to really heat up.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I have the bombshell style shorts. They provide a reasonable amount of protection and aren't too bunchy, but I don't usually wear them since I'm just not sure I need them all the time.

What kind of shorts are you wearing? I'm a big fan of the TLD or other moto style shorts. They can save you from road rash and are pretty abrasion resistant. If your concern is mostly with padding, then yeah, get some safety shorts.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I usually just wear MTB shorts. Most of mine are Oakley, just because I usually get them cheap at the factory store which is local. Maybe some of the moto style shorts would work a little better. I don't really need protection from bruising, more just skin abrasions.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Definitely pick up some heavy duty shorts then. I think Oakley makes some nice pairs, that would be a good way to go. They tend to sit higher on your hips and extend lower down your thigh. I got a puncture wound and a healthy laceration at whiteface before I learned my lesson. The stick went through my cotton shorts, padded shorts, and chamois spandex shorts.

You may also want to consider bib shorts underneath the nylon riding shorts as added protection, to cover your upper hip area if the shorts do not.

gixme

Chimp
Jun 23, 2008
Maine
I wear Rockgardn CYA shorts and like them They saved me big-time this weekend, I would have really smashed my hip without them.