Quantcast

Who wrote all along the watchtower?

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Ok, who wrote it and played it first, Jimi Hendrix or Bob Dylan. Who do you think plays it better, two completely different styles but same song. I would make a poll but dunno how.

Bob Dylan
or
Jimi hendrix

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
It was originally a Bob Dylan song, but the Hendrix version is the famous rendition. I personally enjoy Hendrix a lot more than Dylan.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Did Hendrix write many of his songs at all?

Or was he like Elvis, who never wrote a-one of em?

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
BurlySurly said:
Did Hendrix write many of his songs at all?

Or was he like Elvis, who never wrote a-one of em?
Hendrix wrote almost all of his songs. He did a few covers, like Wild Thing and Sergeant Pepper, but they weren't by far his best stuff. He did a couple of Noel Redding's songs, just to keep him happy, but they were really the worst stuff.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
burly, if you have to ask that question, you have serious holes in yr musical knowledge.

and what covers did GnR do that were better than the originals? the only one i can recall off the top of the head is "live and let die", but then again i'm not much of a fan. and i think macca's version sucks balls too.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
narlus said:
burly, if you have to ask that question, you have serious holes in yr musical knowledge.

and what covers did GnR do that were better than the originals? the only one i can recall off the top of the head is "live and let die", but then again i'm not much of a fan. and i think macca's version sucks balls too.
So I have serious holes in my 'musical knowledge'. Who gives a ****? Ive never been a fan of Jimi Hendrix at all so I never paid much attention. Excuse me for trying to learn.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
BurlySurly said:
So I have serious holes in my 'musical knowledge'. Who gives a ****? Ive never been a fan of Jimi Hendrix at all so I never paid much attention. Excuse me for trying to learn.
Alot of his work has withstood the test of time.
He innovated essentially what became hard rock/heavy metal.
He moved more into blues and was phasing out of the pyschelic hippie crap towards the end.
Stevie Ray Vaughn was a Hendrix clone, and not nearly as great.
When he died he deprived the world of a hell of lot of great music that could have been, unlike someone like Kurt Cobain where his talent lied more in surrounding catchy riffs with poetic psycho babble.

That's about it.....

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Skookum said:
When he died he deprived the world of a hell of lot of great music that could have been, unlike someone like Kurt Cobain where his talent lied more in surrounding catchy riffs with poetic psycho babble.
Well I still dont like the guy much as far as his music goes, nor do I like Stevie Ray Vaughn, that annoying ****er. I usually prefer music to what seems like whakoff sessions with a guitar that both these fellas are so fond of.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i'd argue that hendrix made his guitar a living, breathing, howling beast that gave the music its force. check out the stuff from _live in winterland_ or his version of "machine gun".

SRV was the about the same, but more soulful and blues based (imo hendrix was more rock, but also did plenty of blues stuff like "red house", "killing floor", etc).

if you want soulless, all flash/no meat stuff, i would steer you into crap like yngwie malmsteen, steve vai, joe satriani, or any of the other goobers whose ugly mugs adorn Guitar Player magazine on a regular basis...i'd rather have 50 3 chord wonders like johnny ramone than a fingernail of one of those puds.

anthonysloan

Chimp
Sep 7, 2004
Arguing over who was better, Hendrix or Vaughn, is missing the point of both. It's not a race, its a journey. Both have much to offer.

Relax, breathe, enjoy.

J

JRB

BurlySurly said:
Well I still dont like the guy much as far as his music goes, nor do I like Stevie Ray Vaughn, that annoying ****er. I usually prefer music to what seems like whakoff sessions with a guitar that both these fellas are so fond of.

Not to make you want to change your mind, but this could be the one thing we agree on. Never have been a Stevie Ray fan. You get looked at like you are a communist in the 60s for that here. Much better offerings. No, I don't mean Jimmy Eat World.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Its Yngwie "fvcking" malmstien.

The Onion says he officially changed his middle name to that.

Anyway, I have heard alot of Hendrix through freinds and my parents actually, its just not something I like much. I hate solos that just get drawn out and sound like a bunch of random noise at the end. That really pisses me off.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
loco-gringo said:
Not to make you want to change your mind, but this could be the one thing we agree on. Never have been a Stevie Ray fan. You get looked at like you are a communist in the 60s for that here. Much better offerings. No, I don't mean Jimmy Eat World.
its just that I prefer more subtle guitar work i guess. I dig Mark Knopfler and David Gilmour alot. Never liked Jimmy Page TOO much, but I dig some Zeppelin stuff, although it'd be the easier rocker stuff to play.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
BurlySurly said:
I hate solos that just get drawn out and sound like a bunch of random noise at the end. That really pisses me off.
yeah, mainstream Nashville probably doesn't have much of that coming out these days.

dire straits? do you listen to "adult alternative" radio? get some sack, man. what's next, mike and the mechanics? if you were living in the UK, maybe you'd be a Level 42 fan.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
narlus said:
yeah, mainstream Nashville probably doesn't have much of that coming out these days.

dire straits? do you listen to "adult alternative" radio? get some sack, man. what's next, mike and the mechanics? if you were living in the UK, maybe you'd be a Level 42 fan.
Got a problem with the dire straits? Why? I listen to alot of metal and stuff, I was just naming off some guitar players I like that people had probably heard of to make a point. Fer ****sakes.

J

JRB

narlus said:

Mainstream Nashville likely does not. Who cares if he likes Level 42 or not??? Don't hammer on people about their tunes bro. It's stupid. Shall we raid your place??? You probably got some Simply Red laying around we'll find. :D

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
BurlySurly said:
Got a problem with the dire straits? Why? I listen to alot of metal and stuff, I was just naming off some guitar players I like that people had probably heard of to make a point. Fer ****sakes.
Burly, considering your pretty aggressive and blunt nature, you sure sound whiny in that post. "But naaaarrrlllussss... Whhhyyyy you gotta rag on meeeeee?"

Loco, gimme a break. Of course we're all entitled to our own musical preferences. But that doesn't mean we can't good naturedly rip on those who we disagree with.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
loco-gringo said:
Mainstream Nashville likely does not. Who cares if he likes Level 42 or not??? Don't hammer on people about their tunes bro. It's stupid. Shall we raid your place??? You probably got some Simply Red laying around we'll find. :D
Why even bring up mainstream Nashville? Who listens to that **** anyway? Just cause I like country doesnt mean Im buying Shania Twain CDs. Damn. Narlus is just trying to be a music snob, but who cares? You see his types all the time moaning and complaing about how they really know what "good" music is while the rest of us are just ignorant and should try to learn as much as we can from them :rolleyes: give it a rest dude. Im not going to start liking hendrix no matter how much YOU dont like dire straits. Hendrix sucks balls and has no talent, hows that?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
yr welcome to browse through my collection...it's really disorganized at the moment so maybe some of my dogs will remain hidden.

c'mon, it's fun to make fun of people. especially shirley. and you can make of me in various ways, but my musical taste is flawless and deep. that's one area i've got well-covered. :blah: :eviltongu

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
binary visions said:
Burly, considering your pretty aggressive and blunt nature, you sure sound whiny in that post. "But naaaarrrlllussss... Whhhyyyy you gotta rag on meeeeee?"

I "sound" whiney? I'll work on that :confused:

I actually was just wondering what was so bad about the dire straits. If they're just not "tough" enough or something, who cares?

J

JRB

So all of the musical greats check in with you before releasing something huh Narlus??? :D

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Here read this:

Written and originally recorded by Bob Dylan (also in 1968), but it was the Jimi Hendrix cover of that made it famous. Many other artists have covered it, including Eric Clapton, Neil Young, U2, The Dave Matthews Band and The Grateful Dead. Dylan was so impressed with Jimi's version that Dylan for years played it the way that Jimi had recorded it.
About changing established society, starting in the middle of a conversation between two people (the Joker and the Thief). The Thief sympathizes with the Joker, who wants to escape his position in life and hates the values of society. The third verse suddenly shifts the scene, changing from a conversation to an almost unrelated verse filled with imagery of princes, women, and barefoot servants guarding a castle, establishing a place in the past. These figures are said to represent established society. Suddenly "Somewhere in the distance, a wildcat does growl" suggests danger is approaching, then suddenly "Two riders are approaching" links us back to the first two verses. The riders are the Joker and the Thief, coming to establish a different set of values. The guarded castle suggests their will be confrontation. (thanks, Jamie - Sydney, Belgium, for above 2)
This was Jimi's only Top 40 hit in the US. He charted a few times in the UK, where he was popular before making a name for himself in America

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
if they did, clapton wouldn't have released an lp since his Cream days.

nah, BS has me pegged pretty good. i am a snob when it comes to tunes, i will freely admit it. but i see it this way: the more you are exposed to music, the more open-minded you get. it's gotta suck to be a straight meat-and-potatoes guy, when you can get eat sushi, vindaloo, black pudding, satay, etc. and listening to commercial radio ain't gonna get you past fast-food status.

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
BurlySurly said:
its just that I prefer more subtle guitar work i guess. I dig Mark Knopfler and David Gilmour alot. Never liked Jimmy Page TOO much, but I dig some Zeppelin stuff, although it'd be the easier rocker stuff to play.
I like all those players, but Hendrix is the source. All those guys would name Hendrix as the real beginning of electric guitar. Except maybe for Les Paul, but that's a whole other thing.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
anthonysloan said:
Arguing over who was better, Hendrix or Vaughn, is missing the point of both. It's not a race, its a journey. Both have much to offer.

Relax, breathe, enjoy.
All right, who let the "Can't we all just get along?" hippy in here? ;) Quite tryin' to derail this thread, there, Tex.

-S.S.-

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
BurlySurly said:
A friend of mine put it to me this way...
There is music for the masses, which may not be technically difficult or "good" but is fun to listen to and most people dig it. And then there is music for musicians. It may not be catchy, or please the ears of many, but to a musician who understands the technical and creative challenges of making music it's brilliant.

After I took some music lessons and began to play and understand what it was that these players were doing I gained a better appreciation of their music. Still, I don't like Satriani or Vai much. There music doesn't do much for me. But I do understand it technical difficulty. And I CAN'T STAND Les Paul.

That's how I kinda see it... your mileage may vary. :)

On a side note, I saw a display once at the NAMM show of Jimmi's clothes, guitars and such... Man! He was a LITTLE dude.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Semi off-topic:

I just found out that Bob Dylan played a sold-out show last night at my school. Good timing, eh?

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
I still think that Santana Is the best guitar player around. I heard hes kinda a tosser now and his new shows arent to good. But i heard that, never been to one.