Quantcast

Who wrote all along the watchtower?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i still wonder how Dylan is so beloved. i mean i dig some of his tunes but the guy can't sing period. Niether could Jimmy either but still he sounded alot better than Dylan.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
agreed. _highway 61 revisited_, _blonde on blonde_ and _blood on the tracks_ are bona fide classics and have the highest degree of songwriting and lyrics prowess.

as david berman of the Silver Jews said "all my favorite singers couldn't sing".

i will readily admit i came into dylan way too late, and only knew a cursory amount of his stuff. dig a bit deeper and you will be rewarded.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
SRV: great guitar player, not so great song writer . (The house is rockin'... yeesh...)

Hendrix: Great guitar player, great innovator. I'm not a huge fan of his voice, strictly speaking. I also didn't like the production of a lot of his songs. The vocals overpowered a lot of the guitar IMO.

Satriani, Vai, Santana etc....should be beaten to death with their guitars....

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
MMike said:
SRV:
Satriani, Vai, Santana etc....should be beaten to death with their guitars....

Why Santana?

His style is nothing like Vai or Satriani. Granted his last two (wildly successful) CD's were kind of lame, he released some amazing work. Abraxis is one of the best rock recordings ever. He was the first to sucessfully integrate latino rythms with hard rock.

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
Santana was an innovator in the 60's and early 70's. Then he got religion and his playing became embarrassing. Now he's recovered and plays pleasant, fairly boring, inobtrusive stuff.

Hendrix made his amazing recordings using less technology than the average 10 year old has now in his bedroom. He had 4-track equipment; it's lucky he could tell the guitar apart from the vocals, never mind getting the balance right.