Quantcast

Wholesale accounts

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Well, I just had a dealer agreement in my hand for SBS, so I can assure you that they require an annual update.

First of all, with blue's $500 a year in parts, they will not discount to him nearly as much as they will to me. He really does need to just find a shop and work out to pay the freight plus some over cost. Every place has a minimum for freight allowance, but he'll likely not hit that. He won't get favors since there are no warehouses 200 miles down the road from him. The shop idea is still the most valid approach. He hasn't always been a messenger, so why is there no relationship from a shop already?

I'll give folks two stabs as to why the local shop isn't a viable option for him. I know that I could have gone to my shop, or could go to a couple 60 miles away and pull off cost plus 10% for what he is asking.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Well, I just had a dealer agreement in my hand for SBS, so I can assure you that they require an annual update.

First of all, with blue's $500 a year in parts, they will not discount to him nearly as much as they will to me. He really does need to just find a shop and work out to pay the freight plus some over cost. Every place has a minimum for freight allowance, but he'll likely not hit that. He won't get favors since there are no warehouses 200 miles down the road from him. The shop idea is still the most valid approach. He hasn't always been a messenger, so why is there no relationship from a shop already?

I'll give folks two stabs as to why the local shop isn't a viable option for him. I know that I could have gone to my shop, or could go to a couple 60 miles away and pull off cost plus 10% for what he is asking.
When I say I know 3 wholesalers with no buyins or minimums, their initials are not QBP, BTI, or SBS.

I can think of 2 in Oregon, one in Nevada, and another in Maine, which Blue could do business with...

I know the other thing about establishing your own wholesale account is to cut out the BS. Every time I add something to shop's QBP order, there is a possibility the owner will remove it or change it. The owner also makes some snide comments about the stuff which he knows little about, i.e. my mountain bike stuff.

Whenever I use another distributor which I can order just what I need, I am absolutely certain I get what I want without any hassle.

Or is someone going to say their shop has never made a mistake with a customer's order?

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
When I say I know 3 wholesalers with no buyins or minimums, their initials are not QBP, BTI, or SBS.

I can think of 2 in Oregon, one in Nevada, and another in Maine, which Blue could do business with...

I know the other thing about establishing your own wholesale account is to cut out the BS. Every time I add something to shop's QBP order, there is a possibility the owner will remove it or change it. The owner also makes some snide comments about the stuff which he knows little about, i.e. my mountain bike stuff.

Whenever I use another distributor which I can order just what I need, I am absolutely certain I get what I want without any hassle.

Or is someone going to say their shop has never made a mistake with a customer's order?
I don't know this kid, but judging by his postings for several years, I am skeptical to think he is doing this strictly for consumables.

Without question people make mistakes. I have parts changed on occasion and it's annoying, but that's the way it goes. If blue is talking about consumables, they are unlikely to get messed up anyway.

side note - You have to bear in mind with you ordering things that they are likely somewhat costly and it is the boss's money, ultimately. I personally think it is pretty uncool to order parts without permission, unless you pay for them in advance with your own card. I do that with some folks, but that is there willingness to help shop employees. They would not do that if your shop hadn't already set up an account.

edit - I also know distributors that would likely work with him on his stuff. I also know that there is a mfg company here that uses trikes on the shop floor and we get them bulk parts for 20% over cost, which is not much markup, as you know for consumables.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
side note - You have to bear in mind with you ordering things that they are likely somewhat costly and it is the boss's money, ultimately. I personally think it is pretty uncool to order parts without permission, unless you pay for them in advance with your own card.
Guess what?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I don't know this kid, but judging by his postings for several years, I am skeptical to think he is doing this strictly for consumables.
As I've said before...I don't need another "hookup" for big ticket items. What we need is a reliable source for cheap parts that we go through like socks. I've had a relationship with a shop in the past, however, said shop is a good 40 minutes from where I work and live. I've since stopped going in/riding for them as they've changed owners, and I've seen no need to patronize a shop anymore. However, there are no reputable shops with in a mile or two of where we do business.

Sanj, wanna PM me the names? When I worked at a shop, all we had were the three I know of...