Quantcast

Whom can I blame for my frame failure?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
My derailleur hanger cracked today while riding up a particularly steep climb. I had just rounded a switchback and dropped from the middle ring to the granny rear when it happened, I didn’t roll 5 feet as I was probably going 3 MPH at the time. To my knowledge I didn’t hit anything or smash the derailleur against a rock or stump. The derailleur cage was torn apart by the cassette – at no time did the derailleur or chain come in contact with the spokes.

Could this sort of failure occur without smashing the derailleur? Is the stress of climbing really enough to cause such a failure? I bought the frame NOS 6 months ago for cheap – it is a 1996 Giant ATX Team and was supposed to have been pretty good for it’s day.

What are your thoughts? I have 7 images to post that show a few angles and details.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by speedbump
Where's your upper derailleur pulley? Is it possible it came loose, preciptating the whole event?
I thought that at first but it looks like it was torn out when it came in contact with the cassette... I just don't know. This was my fun bike so I am bummed.

Instigator

ass balancer
Aug 22, 2001
Rochester, NY
What frame is that? If they won't warranty it maybe you could give it to a machinist along with a replacable derailleur hanger and ask him/her to do their magic!

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
regardless of evidence of impact, it looks like you whacked that thing. Look at how bad it's bent over to the inside; if you can't find scars on the derailleur then maybe it hit a log or something soft, rather than a rock.

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by Instigator
What frame is that? If they won't warranty it maybe you could give it to a machinist along with a replacable derailleur hanger and ask him/her to do their magic!
Ditto. You could get some sweet hanger with "R.I.P. TBBXC" engraved into it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Sounds like the old aluminum fatigue life story. The hager was probably smashed a few times before you bought the bike. It just decided to give up when you were just riding along. Aluminum frames are just temporary.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I bought the frame new so any damage or fatigue would have been cause by me. On examination at the LBS today my mechanic thought that the chain might have jammed thus pulling the cage into the cassette which then bent the hanger.

No longer a problem as someone at Giant saw the images, talked with my LBS and volunteered to warrantly the frame. The catch... they would only warranty up to the (edited by request of james@giant) equivelent in wholesale that I paid for the fame or a brand new Warp frame. :dead:

No hassle - I have said before that my next mtb is going to be a hardtail. I decided on a pre 2000 XTC which should be shipped out this week.

You are 100% correct about aluminum - they only last so long. That is why my road bikes will always be steel. :thumb:

Originally posted by Westy
Sounds like the old aluminum fatigue life story. The hager was probably smashed a few times before you bought the bike. It just decided to give up when you were just riding along. Aluminum frames are just temporary.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Sorry, looks like I read your post too fast. You said it was a '96 so I jumped to the conclusion that it was use.

It is cool that Giant is taking care of you though. The hardtail should be fun, just make sure you have a comfy saddle. After getting used to a dually my hardtail beats me up like Ike Turner.

Originally posted by Serial Midget
I bought the frame new so any damage or fatigue would have been cause by me. On examination at the LBS today my mechanic thought that the chain might have jammed thus pulling the cage into the cassette which then bent the hanger.

No longer a problem as someone at Giant saw the images, talked with my LBS and volunteered to warrantly the frame. The catch... they would only warranty up to the $200.00 equivelent in wholesale that I paid for the fame or a brand new Warp frame. :dead:

No hassle - I have said before that my next mtb is going to be a hardtail. I decided on a pre 2000 XTC which should be shipped out this week.

You are 100% correct about aluminum - they only last so long. That is why my road bikes will always be steel. :thumb:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Giant has to be without a doubt the most awesome warranty company out there. I can't even count the number of times I've seen or heard of them hooking people up sweet. :thumb:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Very true - Giant is a good company and stands behind their product. On an interesting side note the ATX 990 Team frames were actually made in the USA and were Giants first attempt at a 4 bar rear end. Original wholesale cost with shock was about (edited by request of james@giant) , Giant blew the last of them out in 2001 for (edited by request of james@giant) and is still honoring their warranty.

Wholesale cost for their top of the line hardtail XtC SE1/SE2 frames is (edited by request of james@giant) ... the small size frame weighs less than 1350 grams or 2.97 LBS. I am not sure about the integrated headset... I read many reviews related to this frame and it seems to be pretty good.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
I've already blown up my Giant VT.:(
I've managed to stress the pivot dealy under the rear shock that is not a sealed bearing cartridge rather a whatchoomacallit. Anyways i gotta lay off that bike until i get the part otherwise i'll ovalize the hole dealie. My mechanical prowess knows no bounds.
Looks like the Bullit gets some trailride duties....

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by Skookum
I've already blown up my Giant VT.:(
I've managed to stress the pivot dealy under the rear shock that is not a sealed bearing cartridge rather a whatchoomacallit. Anyways i gotta lay off that bike until i get the part otherwise i'll ovalize the hole dealie. My mechanical prowess knows no bounds.
Looks like the Bullit gets some trailride duties....
Bushings suck don't they??? Now that you are going all skookie mass air stylie you may want to consider a V-10 as your next XC frame. :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Yes bushings do suck at least the pivot points are bearings though. My lbs called Giant and they were suprised to hear that i had worn the bushing so fast, no i gotta lay off the bike otherwise i'll ovalize the lower eyelet on the rear shock. I'm going to see how long the next one last's before i have to replace it, if it doesnt last long i will be one p.o.'ed guy.
No no V-10 for me thanx, that's why i got the Bullit, and unlike the V-10 it can cross over for emergency xc use like i will use it for this weekend!;)

Thylacine

Monkey
May 9, 2002
Steve Irwins Bungalow
Dunno if I can advocate things when companies warranty frames like this. Sure, on an Aluminium frame it should have a replacable hanger, but for that crack to happen there has to be some kind of side loading on the derail. Looks to me like either your drivetrain is warn and did something freaky, there could've been an altercation with a flying stick or rock ( small stick ripped my friends derail in half once ). Who knows?

It's easy for Giant to keep you happy and shut you up when the frames only cost 100 bucks to warranty/replace. Is it good service to warranty something like this? Thats open to interpretation I reckon. Glad you got it sorted though, but I think nobody is to blame for this one.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by Thylacine
Looks to me like either your drivetrain is warn and did something freaky, or...
Drivetrain is full XT 2002 and was purchased new in October, it's all good since Giant offered to warranty it. I didn't do any complaining and only wanted a good deal on a replacement frame.

I want it now though... I've been without a fun trail bike for 7 days... OMG. :D :D :D