Quantcast

Whoohoo, more boxxer questions

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Sorry if this has already been discussed. I searched for this and couldn't find the answers, so I either suck at searching or it's not up here anymore.

Generally, what is the effect of changing the oil height in a boxxer? Is it more about damping or spring rate, ie make it more or less progressive? What is the effect of using different levels in the compression v. rebound side?

I've got an '03 Race with the WC/Team compression kit (drilled out per the first-Romic-now-official-mod) but with the original rebound kit. I used 200cc in both sides per recommendations. (Not sure how this measures from the top of the stantions.) The fork still seems to pack up in fast sections and before I give up and get another fork I'm wondering if messing with the oil level will help.

Also, does the new rebound kit help that much? I've never understood folks that say the new rebound kit helps compression characteristics, can anyone explain that?

Thanks

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Originally posted by OGRipper
Sorry if this has already been discussed. I searched for this and couldn't find the answers, so I either suck at searching or it's not up here anymore.

Generally, what is the effect of changing the oil height in a boxxer? Is it more about damping or spring rate, ie make it more or less progressive? What is the effect of using different levels in the compression v. rebound side?

I've got an '03 Race with the WC/Team compression kit (drilled out per the first-Romic-now-official-mod) but with the original rebound kit. I used 200cc in both sides per recommendations. (Not sure how this measures from the top of the stantions.) The fork still seems to pack up in fast sections and before I give up and get another fork I'm wondering if messing with the oil level will help.

Also, does the new rebound kit help that much? I've never understood folks that say the new rebound kit helps compression characteristics, can anyone explain that?

Thanks
it ads a wee bit of progressiveness. Generally you don't dick too much with the oil level in a boxxer. Somewhere between 160 and 180 ccs per leg is good. Changing oil weight however has a drastic effect.

oh and the "blackbox" rebound base valve makes a HUGE difference. It is aluminum, has better porting and will not explode like the old ones tended to.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Thanks for the reply - you say the new rebound makes a huge difference but you don't really say what the difference is in terms of performance other than "better porting." Durability has not been an issue so far (knock wood), and the rebound generally seems to work fine, so what is the effect?